Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

Just getting started and a little intimidated

My wife and I are considering getting into RVing. We are retired and it's just the two of us and our golden retriever and cat. We don't plan to be full time or even half/half in 2 places, but will probably travel south from Western North Carolina more in the winters with some shorter trips in the summers.

We have located what seems to be a great rig for us (used 2011 Forest River Georgetown 280DS with <5k miles and still under warranty) at an excellent price. Everything I have read has said pretty good things about Forest River and the Georgetown series as well.

My fears are based on reading all of the posts on problems with MHs and the time, effort and $s spent to fix them. While I do a lot around the house to fix/maintain things, I have never been one to fix my own vehicles. Given the added number of system and shear size of the vehicle, I don't know if I am up to the task of keeping everything maintained and safe.

My question to the group here is... am I interpreting the forum posts wrongly in thinking MHs will are a rolling bunch of problems or soon to be problems?

Please allay my fears as I am thinking about taking a 250 mile drive to possibly buy my first RV... or perhaps not.

Thanks much, Jeff
japresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

No Fear. Yes, you will find problems and some will be worse than others, but, the enjoyment of the RV world is well worth it. In reality, we lived on a 37 ft boat for a few years while in Puerto Rico and that was a maintenance nightmare. Salt water environment, you know. The RV world is much, much easier.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

I have had two different trailers over the past 5 years, never had a problem with either, forums are magnets for the problems, mostly due to the support from others to help solve the issues.

Just remember that dealers want to sell their product and are shy to admit problems that may happen, their RV's can pull anything, be pulled by any type of tow vehicle, and they have never had any unsatisfied customers.

The RV industry is just like any other vehicle, there are lemons and there are die hards, all from the same manufacturer. Be cautious as you purchase and remember, the lemons and the die hards are few and far between.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #4

One of the main reason for forums like this, is for people to find help with any issues they may be having. So your going to read more about problems than anything else.
Problems do exsist with any RV, new and old. Unfortunately that's the norm, but they're usually not so big that you can't deal with them and if they are, well that's what your dealers service department is for.

As far as operating an RV, it isn't really too complicated, just lots of areas to remember proper operation. The first few times you go out don't be afraid to ask someone for help. People will usually bend over backwards to help a fellow RV'er. I have asked for help before and received nothing but friendly smiles and help with whatever I needed. I know I would be more than happy to help someone in need.

So relax and enjoy. If any issues come up, help is just the next campsite over!

Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags