Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #1

Lippert LCI Leveling Jacks - Class C

Hello,

I hope this find you in good health. I have a Class C Hydraulic Leveling System by Lippert (manual link). It was factory installed on FR Sun seeker 3010DS 2018.

Issue: One of the rear jacks (driver side) started drifting down on its own while driving or while stationary. While driving, I had to retract it manually every 20 minutes to prevent it from reaching the ground. At this writing, it stops 2/3 of the way from fully extending. (see photo)

Note: All 4 jacks including the failed one works fine leveling the RV and doesn't lose strength and for extended period of time.

The fluid tank is full, no leak, and all fittings and hoses seem to be tight. I contacted LCI to check if a valve might be involved, but they excluded this because the other jack in the rear is working fine.

1. What is your thoughts and did you encounter this issue before?

2. Currently, the consensus by FR and LCI is to replace the failing jack.

A) Will this one below works with mine? I attached photos in hope you had a similar one and replaced it. Current one has 6 attachment holes, but they don't make these anymore.

https://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-jac...bs-433458.html

B) How difficult to replace it myself? My main concern is fluids (pressured or not) during my disassembly.

Thank you - Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drift.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	239845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183547_Gallery.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	239846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183528_Gallery.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	239847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183522_Gallery.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	239848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183715_Gallery.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	239849  

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183448_Gallery.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	239850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200923-183442_Gallery.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	239851  

Like a short skirt, a useful conversation is short enough to retain interest and long enough to cover the subject.
RVrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #2

2017 Class C Lippert Steel leveling jacks on 2018 Sunseeker 3010DS

Update: I contacted LCI to discover that in 2017 and for only one year they introduced this "steel jack" mounted on my 2018 Sun seeker 3010DS, but quickly discontinued it due to "many issues". They replaced it with this aluminum one attached. It is completely different in design and connection.

Each one costs $540 + Tax + Shipping (not to mention cost of service if you go to a dealer to replace). Such a disappointment, but not a surprising outcome in this RV business, where customers are the industry's guinea pigs!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 809543.pdf (376.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf ccd_0002037.pdf (998.6 KB, 60 views)

Like a short skirt, a useful conversation is short enough to retain interest and long enough to cover the subject.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Lippert LCI Leveling Jacks - Class C

Just me thinking out loud. Is the problem with the jack or the hydraulic unit? The PDF’s will not open for me.
If it’s a jack problem, they look a lot like the Bigfoot units meaning, they look as if they bolt on the same. I would call Bigfoot if one of their jacks would possibly work. The system only sees jacks.
I would think any truck shop could make the swap.

Not understanding the power unit, you may have fluid passing somewhere due to a bad seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	240362  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #4

Hi Garrette,

Not sure why the PDF is not working for you. The issue, as of now, is with one jack out of four. The rest of the system seems fine. I understand your point that the system sees only a jack, but there is no advantage of replacing the manufacture's replacement by a different manufacture and hope it will work. Price is the same.

Here is a link to LCI jack:
https://store.lci1.com/jack-8k-al-wi...lk-809543.html

I checked the entire system and found no leak. - Sam

Old 12-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #5

Hello everyone,

For any one interested, I bought the LCI recommended revised jack I mentioned earlier. It is aluminum vs the old steal. It is much sturdier, has a thicker rod and better design around the rod end. See photos

Also, see the PDF to know how the lines attach to the new Jack.

If any fault in the new jack comes up, I'll update. Otherwise, I consider this is to be an appropriate fix. Best wishes - Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	580.4 KB
ID:	244175   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	244176   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	244177   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	244178  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccd_0002037.pdf (998.6 KB, 51 views)

Old 12-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Jacked

Thanks for the update. It may be timely as I am seeing some red stuff on the hoses and base of the jack. Nothing serious... yet.

Question: When you replaced the jack did it self bleed the air out?

And one observation... noted the red step vinyl. :-(
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #7

Yes, self bleed. See the answer in this video. I also used this other video to help in my installation. It is straightforward and simple installation once you figure out the new setup for the line attachments mentioned in the PDF I posted.

**RED STEP VINYL?! Not sure I understand the reference.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrover View Post
Yes, self bleed. See the answer in this video. I also used this other video to help in my installation. It is straightforward and simple installation once you figure out the new setup for the line attachments mentioned in the PDF I posted.

**RED STEP VINYL?! Not sure I understand the reference.
Thanks for posting the update on your leveling jack problem/solution.

The reference to red step vinyl comes from the visible pink flooring on the vertical surface seen in your interior photo. There is a known problem with the flooring turning pink due to Forest River’s use of an incompatible or incorrect adhesive on the flooring product. Forest River has fixed a few motorhomes with this problem. See the thread linked below.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nk-201016.html
Old 12-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Thanks for posting the update on your leveling jack problem/solution.

The reference to red step vinyl comes from the visible pink flooring on the vertical surface seen in your interior photo. There is a known problem with the flooring turning pink due to Forest River’s use of an incompatible or incorrect adhesive on the flooring product. Forest River has fixed a few motorhomes with this problem. See the thread linked below.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nk-201016.html
WOW! This is something I didn't even notice and I am not color blind. It is twice strange that it only effects the vertical surfaces under the dinette and step (as pictured in my photo). Thank you BB & Ducky for bringing up the issue and diagnostic.

For anyone who wants to repair it, I believe there is 12 years warranty on floors and roof by FR. For me, I'll just don't look down or better think of it as highlight to watch my step. Man! issues never end with RVs. Now I believe the saying that if 80% of things are working in an RV, then I should be 100% satisfied.

I love RVing but I dislike RV repairs.

Tags
class c, jacks, leveling