Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Looking for good RV mechanic in Athens-Madison-Covington, GA area

I just bought a 2014 Sunseeker and I'd like to have it gone over thoroughly before I take it on our maiden voyage. However, doesn't seem like there any good RV mechanics and I don't want to drive all the way to Macon or Atlanta. Anyone have any suggestions?
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

I have spoke with Apalachee RV Center several times at RV shows and discussed doing some mods with them. While I haven't used them yet they will be who I use once my warranty is up if my dealer is backed up.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

look in your area for a mobile RV tech... they come to you... this time of year try to find an RV shop, not an RV dealer as they are usually slammed and have long lead times...

really, I would only have a tire shop look at the tires, and wheel bearings, and have them repacked... also have a look at the brakes while the wheels are off...

Since it is a 2014 and RV tires only have a 5 year service window, I would be looking to get a set of tires put on, and add a TPMS system before your trip.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

Good ideas!

Forgot about Apalachee....I've passed them on 316 but never thought about them...interesting they don't sell RVs...strictly service oriented.

I'm also going to look for a mobile RV tech and see what I can find.

Probably going to get some new tires. I'm thinking the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.. Any opinions?

Also, suggestions on a TPMS.. Also can these be added easily after the tires are already on the RV or do the tires all need to come off to install?
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

TPMS threads are on here by the dozens

many suggest you look at the TST series from greatrvproducts dot com

https://www.greatrvproducts.com/products

I have the flo-thru sensors and like the color system

those tires often go on sale at Costco

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Panther View Post
Also, suggestions on a TPMS.. Also can these be added easily after the tires are already on the RV or do the tires all need to come off to install?
Most add on TPMS units are external and the individual senders screw on to the valve stem. So when you do the tires replace the existing rubber valve stems with one piece steel units from DuallyValve.com See Here. That way the new valve stems will be balanced with the tires. Putting any TPMS sender on a rubber valve stem, or valve stem extension, is looking for a problem later on....

For a TPMS System I use the TST 507 system See Here. I just upgraded to the color monitor and it is a big improvement over the old monochrome screen. TST is located in Cumming....

As for the tires I'm an admitted Michelin fan...they are all I'll buy when replacing tires.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
2x on Apalachee RV
https://www.apalacheerv.net/

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

I live in Newborn and I had cable missing from my wardrobe slide out. Cable was actually in the wall. Called "Stan's RV Service" 770-778-8705 and he fixed my slide. Very nice gentleman and knowledgeable. VERY reasonable! Can't hurt to give him a call.
dkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #9

I used Apalachee RV not long ago for a hydraulic leak. I told them where the leak was but there was a misunderstanding. No charge and they pulled the belly cover and found the problem. No problems since. Price is about average. But the turn around is quicker than any of the other dealers around. I will definitely use them as needed again
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

We used Apalachee for a skylight repair (got smashed by a falling tree). They did a good job and it was fairly quick, no wait to get in. We would use them again if anything major came up.
MsAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I have spoke with Apalachee RV Center several times at RV shows and discussed doing some mods with them. While I haven't used them yet they will be who I use once my warranty is up if my dealer is backed up.
We also used Apalach RV for our motorhone braking system replacement in 2016. Did a great job at reasonable price. Had to replace before trading in.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #12

I've heard good things about Apalachee RV as well, but we used Spartan RV & Marine in Oakwood for some bodywork on our Rockwood after someone scraped the side in the storage lot. Aaron is the owner and used to work at Apalachee. They did a first rate job for us.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
Newly Retired

Chassis tech

I think, what you need is a chassis mechanic and not an RV mechanic. That is if you need the truck portion checked out and not the, stove, fridge and so on.
A lot of garages won’t touch them since they either won’t fit through the door or can’t be hoisted up to walk under. But a tire or independent, shop might be able to check the running gear out for you.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Apalachee changed owners last year and it has gone way downhill.
I tried to get an estimate to add a second a/c while at a show in Atlanta. Salesman couldn't help but took info for someone to call me.
They never called and I ended up calling them 3 times. Did not get my second unit from them.