Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Magne Shades

I am considering the purchase of a Magne Shade for my 2016 Georgetown XL 369 to cover the windshield, side windows and entry door. I think the prints you can put on them are awesome. I am not purchasing just for the UV protection, and ease of installing, but for privacy also.

At night, with the interior lights on, the inside is visible through the space between the windshield and side window night shades. More importantly, the tinted entry door window may as well be made from clear glass.

Can anyone who has used the Magne Shade tell me if you have the same privacy with the interior lights on at night as you do in the daylight?

Thanks.

Troy
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was told that at night, you can see in with ease if you have the lights on.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

That is disappointing to hear.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #4

Magne Shades

The sun shades work well for privacy if the interior is darker than the outside. Once it gets dark outside or you turn on interior lights you can see thru them. Some examples below. If in this case the side windows are covered with the same type of screen or the roll down side window shades are closed the sun shade acts as a one way mirror. Once you have covered all the windows you can see out and they can't see in.

If you leave the side windows uncovered as you can see in the photo the window shade appears slightly transparent.

We chose ours with the mountain lion print.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1455478117.763289.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	99590

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1455478154.666319.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	99591

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #5

That is a great demonstration. Thank you. How long have you had this shade? Does it seem to be holding up as advertised? Any regrets?

I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure I am getting my money's worth.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Full disclosure. Mine is not a magna. It's a Heritage art. Inside screen.
My MH front is fiberglass and very tall. I chose Heritage because it's easier to apply from the inside. These screens all seem to made with the same material. Ours comes with a full sewn in Velcro strip on the top. Round adhesive Velcroe dots stick on the windshield.

Keeps me from having to get out the folding ladder.

http://www.heritageartltd.com/library.html

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. Hertigage has some nice screens. Plus, they are a less expensive than Magne Screen. I really like Hertigage's patio screens.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #8

We have the Heritage one. Had it delivered right to the FROG rally last year. So far so good.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Not to slam any other product but a inside screen does not work as well as a outside screen. The Magna will give very good privacy until dark then it is transparent.
Also the outside screen keeps the heat out much better than the inside does. Absolutely no comparison. You need to stop the sun before it gets inside.
The Magna Shade is very easy to put up and take down. No ladder needed. I put mine on in minutes by my self. No ladder. It is one of the best things I have gotten for the Moho.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although we have the interior blinds, I'm liking the idea of an exterior blind for the heat (and cool point of some of the prints). Our interior front shade actually runs in a groove down the pillar and the side shades overlap, so there is no possible way to see in. I'll see next month when in FL whether it will be worth while or not.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

After some long thinking, we decided to purchase the Magne Shade.

Name:	1461206445702.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	105597
Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
After some long thinking, we decided to purchase the Magne Shade.
Attachment 105597

Very nice shade on a good looking G'town. Excellent. It sure keeps it cool and looks cool also.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

I just purchased the Magne shades for my Georgetown 378TS and really like them. One thing I found out is that when it's windy the windshield is a two person and a ladder job! The two side windows by the dining table are tall and fairly easy. Again when it's windy it can be somewhat challenging. I have a pacemaker and once the screen and magnet fell close to the pacemaker. That got my attention!!

They have made a big difference.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

Is there any way to keep them secure at night from someone borrowing them at 3am.
I am afraid someone would take it. $600 is a lot of money.
moontrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Not to slam any other product but a inside screen does not work as well as a outside screen. The Magna will give very good privacy until dark then it is transparent.
Also the outside screen keeps the heat out much better than the inside does. Absolutely no comparison. You need to stop the sun before it gets inside.
The Magna Shade is very easy to put up and take down. No ladder needed. I put mine on in minutes by my self. No ladder. It is one of the best things I have gotten for the Moho.
Not a slam but the inside shades (Quick Shades and others as mentioned) do exactly the same as the outside shades (see thru day time privacy but transparent at night with interior lights on). The inside shades mount directly to the windshield on the inside and therefore no more heat than outside shades allow is transferred past the windshield. The inside shades are not exposed to the weather (rain, hail, snow, etc.) as are the outside shades and so deterioration from those elements is nullified. Installing and take down is easier and waiting for weather change to install/remove is a moot issue. The choices for these type shades are a personal decision and everyone has an opinion To each his/her own.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontrain View Post
Is there any way to keep them secure at night from someone borrowing them at 3am.
I am afraid someone would take it. $600 is a lot of money.

I think the only way you could feel comfortable in that case is to take them down every night. Doing that would be a real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
I think the only way you could feel comfortable in that case is to take them down every night. Doing that would be a real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I have had mine on for several years now and have never though about anyone stealing them. First off they are all custom and only fit your brand and model Moho. I have never heard of anyone stealing a front sunshade.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Not a slam but the inside shades (Quick Shades and others as mentioned) do exactly the same as the outside shades (see thru day time privacy but transparent at night with interior lights on). The inside shades mount directly to the windshield on the inside and therefore no more heat than outside shades allow is transferred past the windshield. The inside shades are not exposed to the weather (rain, hail, snow, etc.) as are the outside shades and so deterioration from those elements is nullified. Installing and take down is easier and waiting for weather change to install/remove is a moot issue. The choices for these type shades are a personal decision and everyone has an opinion To each his/her own.

Well Bubbles I apologize if I was wrong. I can't find any specs on the product from the link you posted. Also I can't see how the inside screen can fit tight against the inside of the windshield. Even it it is close to the WS a gap of an inch will allow convective heat to come in the Moho and the air will circulate that heat. My understanding of the product is that it attaches with velcro and hangs down with gaps between it and the WS. If I'm wrong I apologize.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Well Bubbles I apologize if I was wrong. I can't find any specs on the product from the link you posted. Also I can't see how the inside screen can fit tight against the inside of the windshield. Even it it is close to the WS a gap of an inch will allow convective heat to come in the Moho and the air will circulate that heat. My understanding of the product is that it attaches with velcro and hangs down with gaps between it and the WS. If I'm wrong I apologize.
Some may attach with Velcro and some attach with suction cups. The shades follow the contour of the windshield and maybe a 1/4 inch gap is possible between shade and windshield. My ends of the shade are tucked into the side pillars and top and bottom suction cups secure the shade close to the windshield. Have not had an issue with heat transfer. Without the shade, yes, it is an oven in the dash area. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
As a sunscreen professional that made his living for many years I have to say that Phil is correct.

Sunscreen on the outside will always cool better than inside.
Having it on the inside will definitely help.