Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
7 Year Class A RV'er

Managing User Manuals and Documentation

Just thought I would share a tip that works great for me and might help others. A lot of you may have already figured this out and be doing it - certainly nothing magic to it.

We all have piles and piles of user manuals, troubleshooting guides, general instructions, etc for our RV's. For our coach, I had, for example, manuals on the chassis/engine/transmission, microwave, washer, dryer, toilet, TPMS, stereo system, electric bunk, awning, GPS, dash cam and so forth. Piles and piles of irregularly shaped books and papers that you could need to reference at any time. My solution? Simple.....the iBooks app on your iPhone or iPad. Even if you don't use Apple products, your electronics most likely have a similar application for viewing and organizing PDF files. In my case, everyone of the manuals I listed could be found and downloaded free online. I can now reference each of them from my iPad at will. Really helps when you need a quick reference or a refresher on how to work something.

Hope this helps someone....safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Good tip.

First thing I do with a new anything (that requires some effort to figure out) is to download all the info ie manuals, spec sheets, brochures etc and put them into a Google Drive folder. Thus way when we want to fix or know how much our trailer weights we have it,even 10 years later.

Thanks

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

X2 iBooks
Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Can't say for ibooks as I don't use Apple, but if you use PDFs, it is very easy to search for a key word rather than scanning the entire document.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Can't say for ibooks as I don't use Apple, but if you use PDFs, it is very easy to search for a key word rather than scanning the entire document.
Ctrl 'f' is your friend

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Now that you have them all downloaded and in electronic form ... take it one step further ... (or would this be, one step backwards ??)

Print just the "most important" or "most referenced" few pages that you keep going back to ... put them in sheet protectors and in a small / lightweight ring binder or report cover. You can also "print larger" to make it much easier to read.

Sometimes it's really nice to be able to check that "number" or "size" you can't remember, without having to fire up the computer. Or which fruit wood goes best with which meat in the smoker ... or the NOAA Weather codes at which county / campground ... or that pesky checklist ...

Been doing this "trick" for about a decade, and it is a nice hassle saver.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

IBooks does have a search function - just tap the magnifying glass at the top right corner. Printing the pages you need is a great idea for some folks; I just prefer the electronic format. I can zoom in when I need to view a diagram, etc. To each his own! I also like it that I can view the documents without going out to the RV to get papers and such.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
IBooks does have a search function - just tap the magnifying glass at the top right corner. Printing the pages you need is a great idea for some folks; I just prefer the electronic format. I can zoom in when I need to view a diagram, etc. To each his own! I also like it that I can view the documents without going out to the RV to get papers and such.
X2. I have been using iBooks for several years now. I have folders for my RV, TV, boat, car, house, etc. I can view a document on my iPad or iPhone or laptop anytime I want....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

I did similiar. I searched and download manuals and technical info on my chassis and appliances. I then printed most of the information, took it to OfficeMax and had them bind it into a book (spiral bound with clear covers). This book stays in the MH.

I also uploaded all the pdf service, parts, manuals, etc to my blog site so I can get to them anytime.

DOWNLOADS | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips .

I assume you could down load them onto your computer?? We do not have smart phones or pads .. Printed form for us is better as internet is not always available.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

Ever since work forced me to learn and use an iPad, my computer use has dwindled. (Last time I fired up the laptop was for tax purposes). I download every manual I can and using the search function, the info I need is available much quicker than pulling out the paper version and searching the old fashioned way. When wifi is not available, I use the iPhone as a hotspot. I was brought into iPad usage kicking and screaming. What was I thinking?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
Ree

All of these are great ways to stay organized. I have all of these and also have hard copies of important stuff, directions I seem to forget! I also took all of our manuals and put them in a 3 ring binder. I cut them apart, put holes in them and labeled them with dividers. Reason? My computers have failed many times, so I don't want to take a chance of not having the info available when we need it. It took a lot of time consuming work, but I feel it was worth it. We just keep it tucked in a corner cabinet. Happy and safe travel enjoying all the beautiful sights God has given to us!:
Old 09-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Thanks for the tips .

I assume you could down load them onto your computer?? We do not have smart phones or pads .. Printed form for us is better as internet is not always available.

Yup works on a computer too...

Coachmen has an app where you can access the manuals if you have a smart phone or tablet. I ALWAYS download mine so they are available when I am off line.

I do print some pages and keep in a 3 ring binder in the camper for quick reference. I also back them up to the cloud and keep them on a thumb drive. We currently have 4 smart phones, iPad, Android tablet, iMac and Windoze laptop... nope not connected at all.

Tablets or old smart phones are great to use for storing things on for easy acccess. I have an old Android phone that I keep movies, music and other documents on. I keep it on WiFi only and it works great as a media player.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #14

I use both, the printed material (in binders) and the pdf files on my computer and phone. The binders, for when I don't have internet and the pdf manuals, when I do. The pdf manuals many times get updated along the way. I also save good tips with the manuals for additional information.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

The FR app gives you access to most of the general system doc's but not specific components, would be nice if they'd load them to their site when they start using a brand/model on our units....
Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
The FR app gives you access to most of the general system doc's but not specific components, would be nice if they'd load them to their site when they start using a brand/model on our units....

Interesting... The Coachmen App does have access to most of the specific stuff, but they list EVERYTHING so you had better know which model of appliance you have.

Aaron

Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #17
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Omigosh I have every manual you can imagine on google drive but when we got this MH, I never thought of it.
We have the hundreds of big and little books in a bin. First thing I think of is having the fuse schematics printed out, and then see what we use often and print that out also would a be good idea. Have the rest off line.
I can see it now, imagine us in the middle of the night, on the side of some strange road, in the pouring rain, trying to see how to fix something and can't get the manual to download....
Old 09-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Omigosh I have every manual you can imagine on google drive but when we got this MH, I never thought of it.
We have the hundreds of big and little books in a bin. First thing I think of is having the fuse schematics printed out, and then see what we use often and print that out also would a be good idea. Have the rest off line.
I can see it now, imagine us in the middle of the night, on the side of some strange road, in the pouring rain, trying to see how to fix something and can't get the manual to download....
That's why Apple iBooks is so nice. It's on line as a backup but stored on devices as you choose. I have the entire library on my phone, my iPad and the iPad that I keep in the coach.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
I just back the manuals up to the cloud. I keep electronic copies in a folder on my laptop, phone and tablet. I also have a flash drive that they are on too. I use the dual plug flash drives that I can plug into either a phone, tablet or computer. I also have a 3 ring binder where I keep information that I may want to reference quickly, typically model numbers and power consumption of various items.

Aaron

Old 09-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #20

No so Tech Savy

Old school here - still doing it the old way - a three ring binder and a three hole punch!
eljoho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, manuals