RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
mdstudey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rio Hondo, TX
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
That driver could be a member of this forum and you just insulted him because of how he looks. I suspect a good number of us wouldn't want be be seen like that either.

x2 Maybe a site manager can remove that post?



It can happen to anyone. We made a turn onto a side street. Corner had a telephone pole but it hid the fire hydrant behind it. We go about a one foot gash in our TT. Business owner said it happen a lot, like a UPS truck getting stuck on top of it.


It looked like the rear wheels where tweaked and not in line with the body of the coach. I wonder if it got totaled.
__________________
Chuck & Denise + Pata, The Purple Princess Peanut, Ziggy the pole cat and Kazumba the parrot

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gibsonville, NC
Posts: 320
By the looks of it, he caught the pump protection thingy just beyond the door and kept driving a good distance. If he had stop earlier on before it caught the rear axle, it may at least have been driveable.

I agree that this could indeed happen to anyone even those (myself included) with decades of hauling experience. But I also know that many people buy a towable or a big rig like this thinking they can just get in and drive but it's a whole different world compared to a car.

On a side note and somewhat of a rant, I also believe that people who get a license should be made to sit behind a simulator of a vehicle hauling a load and get a sense of what happens when they are cut off or the impatient idiot passes them, gets in front and then slams the brakes. So many people do not realize what it takes to stop a tractor trailer, a vehicle hauling an RV, etc. It's why I'm a big proponent of dash cams.
__________________
2019 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
TV: 2017 Ford F350 CC DRW King Ranch
jd4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 887
I hope it never happens to us. I been close, but carefull and lucky. I can really see how someone could make that mistake, but what about this one.


there even is a flashing sign telling driver they are too high and they must turn.




[youtube]
__________________
2019 Forest River Forester MBS 2401R
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Ohh my, I don't feel so bad. My first fill up I grazed the pump barrier post. Most of my damage was cosmetic, but I learned quickly to keep a wide berth around pumps.


X2
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I hope it never happens to us. I been close, but carefull and lucky. I can really see how someone could make that mistake, but what about this one.


there even is a flashing sign telling driver they are too high and they must turn.




[youtube]
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,502
Clearly more vehicle than he has experience to handle.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
chroniekon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 868
I can only imagine the damage that was caused to the rig that bent this fire hydrant over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0733.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	217127  
__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2004 Jeep Wrangler
chroniekon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Curious to know just how fast he was going when he hit. Notice the door would not close when the they were ready to pull it out. Sprung the door from impact I suspect. Driver looked like a real winner.
Doubt the driver was going that fast. A classic "first trip, no experience" gas station accident.

Strange that nobody noticed the "crunching sound" but then again maybe the diesel was making too much noise

From what I saw in the video the better choice of pumps would have been the ones that were vacant on the right. Looked like a safer angle on the exit. Looking at how the heavy wrecker pulled in, it would have been a straight shot unless the only diesel pump was on the outside island.

New owners could do themselves a big favor if they just bought their first large coach and have zero experience. Go to one of the "Big Box Store" parking lots and set out some cones, cardboard boxes, lawn chairs, etc. Practice maneuvering around them like you will in gas stations, etc. A flattened cone or lawn chair is a lot cheaper to deal with than what we saw here.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Two things I noticed, 30 day tags and I presume the gas fill is on the left like mine. So, I don’t understand why he was attempting to navigate on the wrong side of the pumps.
Very high initiation fee on this one.
B_Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #30
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Strange that nobody noticed the "crunching sound" but then again maybe the diesel was making too much noise
The Georgetown XL is a gasser, not diesel.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
chroniekon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 868
I noticed the front of the driveline sitting on the ground. Did he push the rear axle back far enough to uncouple it, or did he twist it off?
__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2004 Jeep Wrangler
chroniekon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #32
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I noticed the front of the driveline sitting on the ground. Did he push the rear axle back far enough to uncouple it, or did he twist it off?
Per the commentary, it sounds like the rear axle got knocked sideways under the spring shackles and that caused the driveline to disconnect.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #33
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Clearly more vehicle than he has experience to handle.
True, but I suspect that that note would apply in the beginning to most people. Even though my wife and I have 40+ years of combined experience driving fire engines, ladder trucks and the like, this is a different kind of vehicle so she and I took a professional RV driving course. While it was $700 for two days, I always figured it was a wash with the deductible for an accident we hopefully could now avoid.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
chroniekon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 868
NXR, thanks for the explanation, the sound doesn't work on my computer.
__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2004 Jeep Wrangler
chroniekon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Per the commentary, it sounds like the rear axle got knocked sideways under the spring shackles and that caused the driveline to disconnect.

Ray
That's how it looked to me in the vid. Shifted far enough for it to disconnect. The door not closing for the tow assistant makes me wonder about frame being sprung. Enough damage for insurance to "Total" the rig ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 106
Having been run off the road, cut off, or almost clipped at intersections requiring evasive action on my part by folks in class A's (And TT's, 5rs, you name it) numerous times, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Gent in the video. Maybe that's cruel, don't really care if it is.

Granted bad or inattentive driving is not limited to class A's, or RVs in general, but living close to one of the major N/S Interstates that sees the snowbird migration, and having about a dozen campgrounds close by, maybe we see a lot more of it.

Mandatory testing and licensing should be required across the board for anything that large and heavy, and IMO any trailer also. I had to get a special endorsement for my bikes but can jump in 20 tons of missile in a lot of places and just lalala down the road sipping on a Frappe. A lot of folks can't drive their toad, let alone what's pulling it.

Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
That driver could be a member of this forum and you just insulted him because of how he looks. I suspect a good number of us wouldn't want be be seen like that either.
Unless that member chooses to identify himself on the forum, there is no harm from the insult.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #38
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Unless that member chooses to identify himself on the forum, there is no harm from the insult.
Unless he reads it, of course.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Having been run off the road, cut off, or almost clipped at intersections requiring evasive action on my part by folks in class A's (And TT's, 5rs, you name it) numerous times, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Gent in the video. Maybe that's cruel, don't really care if it is.

Granted bad or inattentive driving is not limited to class A's, or RVs in general, but living close to one of the major N/S Interstates that sees the snowbird migration, and having about a dozen campgrounds close by, maybe we see a lot more of it.

Mandatory testing and licensing should be required across the board for anything that large and heavy, and IMO any trailer also. I had to get a special endorsement for my bikes but can jump in 20 tons of missile in a lot of places and just lalala down the road sipping on a Frappe. A lot of folks can't drive their toad, let alone what's pulling it.

Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
Don't disagree with what you say however that's not how things work. I too had to get a special endorsement in order to legally drive my motorcycle on the highway but no endorsement for MH or large TT/5'er.

Anytime a bill is proposed to change the law to do so lobbyists from the RV Industry and owner's groups lean hard on the legislators and it goes nowhere. Whether or not it's a good idea the arguments all get down to the cost of testing. State doesn't want to provide at taxpayer's expense and those affected don't want to fork over any extra money (as if an extra $100 would be significant to someone who is able to fork $100K or more for a large coach.

The main reason I think few states have any special requirements for large coaches is simply the lack of accident data. Sure, we see pictures posted frequently here on the forum but how many actual accidents occur across the country annually when compared with regular auto and truck accidents. It's a good escape for lawmakers. They'll say "why pass a law if there aren't that many accidents and deaths". Far different story with Motorcycles and 80-100k freight trucks.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #40
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
True, but I suspect that that note would apply in the beginning to most people. Even though my wife and I have 40+ years of combined experience driving fire engines, ladder trucks and the like, this is a different kind of vehicle so she and I took a professional RV driving course. While it was $700 for two days, I always figured it was a wash with the deductible for an accident we hopefully could now avoid.

Ray
I know I couldn't (actually wouldn't want to even more than couldn't) handle driving a freaking bus. That's why I picked my 20 footer! I want to puke just watching people drive these things, my idea of NOT a good time on vacation, lol.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accident, gas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.