Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #41
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I know I couldn't (actually wouldn't want to even more than couldn't) handle driving a freaking bus. That's why I picked my 20 footer! I want to puke just watching people drive these things, my idea of NOT a good time on vacation, lol.
My DW loves to drive and I love to sit in the passenger seat reading or sleeping. That meets my idea of a good time on vacation.

Ray
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
OK! How do you do this much damage in a gas station lot? This is a 2019 or 2020 Georgetown XL, still has the temp tags on it. Am I the only one that drives less than 5mph in parking lots! Jeez!

https://youtu.be/kLNzhB6hPz4

Ouch. I own one of these. I assume the driver was making his or her way around the station before or after getting gas ( I did not watch the whole video). The gas cap is on the drivers side not where he was
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #43

I can’t see how he got himself into the situation unless he tried to maneuver it like it’s a car. What a lot of damage that poor coach took a beating. This wasn’t swung wide enough
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #44

MH Accident in Gas Station

This is exactly why, before taking a trip from North Texas to Pensacola with RVing friends in a rented Class A in 2016, I spent several months watching (more than once) instructional driving videos from people like Lazy Days about driving a large Class A. In January 2017 I bought a 37 foot Class A and we tow a Buick Enclave.

By paying attention to such things as tail swing and off tracking as covered in the videos, I have never even come close to having an accident. Also, I don't go into small gas stations for fuel. In the video, it appears his fuel filler door is on the driver's side. What was he thinking, placing the passenger side of the coach next to the pumps?
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #45
NXR

It's also easy to just forget. On the last trip I was the passenger when we pulled into the campground. The driver decided to swing left to get out of the driveway instead of pulling forward. I said, loudly, "NO NO NO STOP! STOP!"

The driver ignored me and pulled left and then turned and looked at me. I said "Since you cannot back this thing up with a car on a dolly, just how do you propose getting out of this spot?" Yup, the driver just forgot we were towing a car.

Fortunately we located the owner of a car blocking a sharp turn and could drive out of it.

Ray
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
My DW loves to drive and I love to sit in the passenger seat reading or sleeping. That meets my idea of a good time on vacation.
Was 'the driver' this DW person you speak of?
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Was 'the driver' this DW person you speak of?
I see the phrase "the driver" multiple times -- being careful not to use "she" or "he"!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #48
NXR

Everyone is makes mistakes and sometimes we learn from them.

Ray
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalb20 View Post
Ouch. I own one of these. I assume the driver was making his or her way around the station before or after getting gas ( I did not watch the whole video). The gas cap is on the drivers side not where he was
I'm not even sure the driver was in the gas station lot to buy gas. He might have been avoiding a traffic light!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
It's also easy to just forget. On the last trip I was the passenger when we pulled into the campground. The driver decided to swing left to get out of the driveway instead of pulling forward. I said, loudly, "NO NO NO STOP! STOP!"

The driver ignored me and pulled left and then turned and looked at me. I said "Since you cannot back this thing up with a car on a dolly, just how do you propose getting out of this spot?" Yup, the driver just forgot we were towing a car.
Ray
Its not all that hard to back a car that is on a dolly. Not much different than backing a trailer.
Sure not as hard as backing a hay wagon up hill into a dairy barn with an old tractor!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I was reading the comments section of the video, which had this one copied below:

Randy Carlisle
1 day ago

This is why many states require CDL’s for most motorhomes. That gas station was nowhere near big enough for that motorhome, he had no business being in there, at all. Rookie
----------------------------

After reading the above comment, I was not aware if any state had a CDL requirement on a private use motorhome, even a Class A...so that made me go look.

I did find this site, if the information is accurate, while most states do NOT require a CDL, a few do if it's over 45 feet.

RV Driver's License Requirements
Really NC says you need a special one they issue you when you test there. What type I really don't know with all the new taxes and safety,emission tests road inspections you need I got the he-- out of the crazy state.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #52

So I've done this error !! I have a 29 hfs pulled with a f 250.quadcab standard bed. The Chevron in Sedona on az179. I got it in my head I needed to make sure I had my wallet after coming out of the RV campsite along oak Creek. Well ya don't ever ever ever go into a gas station with 55 feet.and.not.as a fifth wheel.without having been a.professional trucker which I am not. I wrapped the rear around the protectors of the pumps. People don't really appreciate just how massive they are unless their tow service is attempting some insane kind of acrobatic move that somehow should be part of circ de .soleil. these guys are usually on the genious' level of three dimentiomal.chess. They definately have a seat on the millennium falcon when they flee the planet. Anyway it eventually ended as a beautiful thing because my RV guy Dan at French's rv repair in camp Verde , who I consider a friend and mentor , would never have been met.
I now have a fifty gal diesel tank , picked up at the plant in Chico and installed by my friend Bobby Moore in Woodland ca.
marcfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #53

While you don't need a CDL to drive the big RVs in most states you may need a "Special Endorsement" in some. This web site RV Driver's License Requirements did a great job looking into it. I also don't know of any state that enforces these rules and most police don't enforce them.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #54

This won't be popular and it's not intended to insult in any way most RV owners
BUT:
The reality is there are RV owners who should not be driving the any size RV or any vehicle for that matter.
Early in life I drove semi trucks. My company had a month long plus driver training program. It included driving in city, on the highway, in drop lots. Some candidates took a full six weeks, some didn't make it at all. I had experience with large equipment and was cleared to hit the road in three weeks.
After twenty years of driving semi's I made a real change and went through a Sheriff's Academy for three months which included driver training.

There is a small segment of the general population that shouldn't be driving period. Then a segment who when they retire have the resources to buy the RV of their dreams. Most have never driven anything larger than the family SUV. Now they are in a rig 40 feet long and the only training they have been given is a PDI and how to write the final check.
Most are conscientious, careful drivers who will take their time and learn how to drive their new behemoth in a safe manner, some don't possibly because they have the "I've got this", "I've been driving for 40 years" or even because of physical limitations. Over confidence can be costly and possibly a real killer

This won't be popular but there should be State requirements for licensing large RV operators. When I got my CDL ions ago I had a State Inspector give me a driving test which included city driving, backing the tractor trailer. Written test for Hazmat, air systems, rules of the road. Also passing a physical was required.

I applaud the dealers who offer both classroom and behind the wheel training for their customers who want it.
There's a well deserved sense of pride to know that you have done your best to learn from knowledgeable instructors.

Recently I went through some large Newmar Class A's. Sitting in the drivers seat it seemed daunting for me even with my skillset. I hate to imagine how it must seem to a new owner who has never driven anything larger than the family SUV.
There does need to be a standard for licensing large RV operators including a driving test in their RV.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #55

Pure stupidity. Drive shaft broken? That means after he hit it he continued trying very hard to move forward.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Its not all that hard to back a car that is on a dolly. Not much different than backing a trailer.
Sure not as hard as backing a hay wagon up hill into a dairy barn with an old tractor!
There probably only the two of us here who have ever had to do that. It is even worse when the wagon is hooked onto the bailer and it is raining.

The video made me sick for the driver but also reminded me of the many minivans with a crunch spot in front of the passenger side rear wheel.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #57

Owner probably dropped $5K just in tow bills that day.
Love good tow operators........it's a art. I was lucky to have one of the very best in my County. It was amazing to see how they could handle semi trucks in any contortion after a accident. BUT they charged $5K just to hook up to a Semi...........they earned it though.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
This won't be popular but there should be State requirements for licensing large RV operators....
... and possibly operators of large RVs.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
There is no way I'd be able to rest/sleep if my darling bride drove our rig. She scares me enough with a car let alone a 9k# truck and 16k# 5er behind it. And besides, I love driving (literally).
Old 10-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
There probably only the two of us here who have ever had to do that. It is even worse when the wagon is hooked onto the bailer.
Thank goodness someone else feels my pain! There is nothing like backing up a tractor with a 2 wheel baler (or chopper) with a 4 wheel wagon behind it. And with the added pressure of rain....never fun.

Tags
accident, gas