RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Motorhome classes: Who came up with this nonsensical class naming??

I'm new to the RV world, one year now as a TT owner. I like continuing to learn about all RVs, not just TTs. So as I continue to learn about motorhomes, I have to ask, who came up with Class A, Class B, and Class C, and what comprises each?

OK, I get Class A. The big buses. The big daddy of the motorhome world. Easy. But here's where it gets weird. Class B should be the next smaller size down. The midsize/built on a truck frame. Finally Class C SHOULD be the smallest, the conversion van class.

What the heck happened that the RV world decided to go counter-intuitive, and make no sense????

Does anyone know enough about Motorhome history to know what made this weird?? I know what a class B and class C are now, but the class nomenclature still irritates me.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Read here and some of it will be explained

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...me_(campervan)

If you go far enough back in history you'll find that "Van Conversions" often didn't include the extended frames and grafting of travel trailer bodies to them. They also weren't built with toilets and kitchens, the items that gave them the "home" designation. A Class B was purpose built to be a "motorhome" but used a basic van chassis.

Today the "classifications" are pretty much codified in "regulations" so the government knows how to regulate/tax them.

Here's some more reading that might help explain:

https://mobilerving.com/blog/underst...d-c-motorhomes

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Read those Mike, thanks, but they don't explain why they decided to name Class A the biggest, Class B the smallest, and then confuse everyone by naming the 2nd biggest Class C. Maybe I missed something.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

As best I can tell, the class C name comes from the "coach built" concept where originally a body, very much like a camper trailer, was added to a truck or van frame and cab. The cab retained most of the original features of the vehicle. It's also possible that the class C name comes from the cab / cabin and chassis structure. The C represents "cab". Both could be accurate, but a few minutes searching doesn't give a definite answer.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Read those Mike, thanks, but they don't explain why they decided to name Class A the biggest, Class B the smallest, and then confuse everyone by naming the 2nd biggest Class C. Maybe I missed something.
I think it was just the order they arrived on the market.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

Guess you haven't seen the Class D RV's then.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlaskaCruiser_DavidCastillo.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	219803  
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Wink Sorry for pulling your chain!

Then The Class E....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	th817KE063.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	219804  
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #8

I guess we should really confuse you and tell you about the B+ RV's?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I guess we should really confuse you and tell you about the B+ RV's?
Or the Super C Motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

While I'm at it, when talking about dry cell batteries, whatever happened to size B? Or size A? You got your AA, AAA,AAAA, C, D. No B. No A. Well, I found out. At least there's an answer to the battery naming nomenclature! Oh, and is this what happens when you retire? You sit around wondering about weird crap that doesn't seem to concern anyone else?

If you're interested in what happened to the B cell, I found this article:
Quote:
There actually are B batteries, but they aren’t something you’ll usually see stocked at most stores any longer. Since the invention of the battery, there have been a pretty amazingly diverse number of battery types used with different sizes/shapes/voltages/storage capacities/etc., and also named a variety of things. This gave rise to the need for an industry wide standard, particularly as the lack of an international or even national standard during WWI was problematic for the military.

As such, after WWI, the War Industries Board and several other government agencies got together to try to come up with standard specifications for batteries. A few years later, in 1928, the American Standards Association, the predecessor to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), officially adopted this proposal, introducing a list of battery cell sizes and their corresponding label. For these labels, they used the suggested convention that A would be the smallest; as you went up in the letters, the batteries would get larger in size. There was also a “No. 6” battery that was the largest. This was just adopted as it had previously been one of the most popular battery cell sizes used (a 6 inch battery), so it was grandfathered in, though now given more strict guidelines to its exact specifications. Others came along later, such as the AAA size, which wasn’t adopted into the standard until 1959. Since then, the ANSI standard for batteries has been revised numerous times as battery technology has evolved.

Why it appears there is no B (or A, F, etc.) anymore is simply because those particular battery sizes never really caught on commercially, at least on the consumer end of things. The ones that were most popular just ended up being the AA, AAA, C, and D. Now-a-days, because those are the most commonly available to consumers, most manufactures continue to use those battery types over the many other sizes that are available to power their devices. However, B batteries are still made and sold and pack a decent punch for their size, 21.5 mm x 60 mm (.8464 in. by 2.36 in.), producing 1.5 volts and 8350 mAh for the alkaline variety. (For reference, standard alkaline AA’s ring in at 1.5 volts and 2700 mAh). ‘A’ batteries are also still in production, last most commonly used in early-model laptop battery packs. F batteries, on the other hand, are still commonly used within something you can find at your local supermarket- rectangular 6 volt batteries.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
Then The Class E....
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
While I'm at it, when talking about dry cell batteries, whatever happened to size B? Or size A? You got your AA, AAA,AAAA, C, D. No B. No A. Well, I found out. At least there's an answer to the battery naming nomenclature! Oh, and is this what happens when you retire? You sit around wondering about weird crap that doesn't seem to concern anyone else?

If you're interested in what happened to the B cell, I found this article:
The reason there are no A or B batteries today is that there are no more battery operated devices that use vacuum tubes.

The "A" battery provided filament (Heater) voltage and the B battery the high (plate) voltage. I used to have a portable radio that used them. Was the size of a toolbox and the darn batteries only lasted a few hours.

When transistors arrived on the scene these batteries joined the dinosaurs.

As for the modern batteries, it seems like I always have plenty of the ones I DON'T NEED in the drawer

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

You are correct sir about vacuum tube batteries. But those were called A batteries, and B batteries. Not to be confused with the individual cells with the same name.

As always, I continue to marvel at your infinite wisdom involving all matters of the physical world however!
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Oh, for more retired old guy projects (proud member of the club), this piece of Chinese brilliance from Amazon was well worth the 21 bucks paid....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71JeYB-GYeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	219827  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
Then The Class E....
Someone has too much time on their hands. Isn't Photoshop fun?
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Someone has too much time on their hands. Isn't Photoshop fun?
You've got that right!
Old 11-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

Call them what you want some are big, some are small and there is a size to fit all. I love our C and by any other name I would still love it.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome