Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Newbie seeks advice

Rapidly approaching our “golden years,” my wife and I have made the decision to sell our camping trailer (2007 Chalet Alpine popup) and purchase a new Sunseeker 2300. While it has been an enjoyable experience camping in the Chalet, the routine of hitching, towing, backing, leveling, unfolding, refolding, etc. has lost a great deal of its original charm. Folding and preparing the popup for departure in the rain during our last camping trip (while watching several motor homes simply drive off) was the last straw.

Our new Sunseeker (options include: generator upgrade, u-shaped dinette, and Bigfoot automatic leveling jacks) was ordered through Freedom RV in Spokane, WA and is expected to be delivered sometime around the first of November. (Unfortunately, that pretty much precludes any camping trips in this neck of the woods until next spring.) Thus far, the experience with the dealer has been a positive one.

I am hoping some of the regulars on this forum can help me with a couple of issues that have come up regarding the purchase. One of the additional services the dealer has offered us is something called the “Platinum Protection Systems” exterior protection treatment. This is an exterior application that, according to the dealer, will eliminate the need for waxing for five years. Does anyone have experience with this particular treatment and is it worth the additional cost?

Another service being offered is the RV/Trailer Tire and Wheel Protection plan from Safe-Guard Products International, LLC. Again, does anyone have any experience with this plan? It seems from scanning the forums that the Good Sam road protection plan might be a better deal.

Any advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #2

Al,

to FRF and congrats on you new camper. While I can't comment on the tire protection plan (not sure what it covers or the cost) I think that you should stay away from the Protection System and save your money. I'm sure that this is not cheap and you would be better off putting a coat of wax on periodically. I read a discussion concerning these that said it is nothing but a money maker for the dealer and doesn't really do much. One poster, who opted for one of these packages, said that it amounted to the dealer having a couple of teenagers put some spray wax on the coach.
Here's a link to the post I mentioned. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Should I get Maxxguard interior/exterior protection?
JMHO.
Tom
ps- Al Fresco- I like your tag

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

As Tom pointed out they are packages offered by the dealer and meant to part you from your money. Your rig wouldn't take all that long to wax on your own. I don't know of anything for your tires to "protect" them other than applying the spray on "Tire Black" that you can buy at the auto parts store or Walmart.

As long as there is no snow and ice on the ground don't shy away from a close to home trip in the winter. We use ours all year but won't cross the passes usually in the winter. Hopefully we will be back over to Keller Ferry to fish Lk Roosevelt in May.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome and sage advice. As I recall, the dealer priced the Platinum Protection Systems interior and exterior treatments at $1,200. Indeed, that sounds a bit pricey for a spray-on wax job (and also what probably amounts to a ScotchGuard spray treatment on the interior fabrics). I will definitely pass on that one.

The Tire and Wheel Protection plan is actually a plan that covers repair and/or replacement of flat tires. It also claims to cover “costs associated with the repair or replacement of tires and/or wheels plus labor charges including towing, mounting, balancing, valve stems, tire disposal, and taxes.” I think this plan was also priced at $1,200. With this plan, the tires are covered as long as they have at least 3/32 inch of tread at the time of damage.

Again, your advice on this roadside service (or alternatives) would be appreciated.

My wife and I live in Sandpoint, ID. Once the snow flies (which can occur here around the middle of November), we are pretty much restricted to planning next year’s camping adventures. Of course, planning is half the fun in our estimation. We do almost all of our camping at National and State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds within a 300-mile radius of Sandpoint. With very few exceptions, these campgrounds are closed during the winter season.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

In comparing roadside service plans we went with Goodsam ERS. They cover all vehicles we own and will even pay to tow our boat if the motorhome or TV become disabled enroute. The fine print is what is really important (isn't it always) Many roadside plans will state that towing is not covered if the vehicle is "off road" and for some there is a very loose definition of "off road" Some consider being parked off of a gravel forest service road by more than 100 yards to be off road which would account for a lot of our camping. Don't take this to mean we 4x4 our motorhome but not all access to good camping is paved around here.

So far we have not needed the GS ERS, it is in actuallity just an insurance plan that hopefully you will never need.

As for the tire plan, I don't know, I would still tend to give that a pass. Your talking about $1200 to cover a possible blow out. You have a spare already don't you? Use the ERS to come change it for you. If you had to buy and have mounted a spare it would probably run you about $300 give or take. In all my years of RVing (since I was a kid) I have only experienced a blow out once and that was just about 7 years ago on our old motorhome. I think it's a lot of money for what they are offering. Also, don't think that it will cover damage to the RV if a tire blows, it will not. In many cases a blow out can rip out storage compartments and in one case I saw, all the holding tank drains and valves and one holding tank.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
How many tires

How many tires can you buy for $1200.00? A lot! As mentioned by a early post that you have a spare tire. Purchase a hydraulic 5 ton bottle jack at WALMART and make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit the lug nuts.
Also check with your present auto insurance company to see if they offer a rider for your RV to be covered in an emergency for flats and towing????

As stated early, GOOD SAM has an excellent emergency road service program.

Congrats on your new RV purchase. Also you can always come to Florida with the rest of the "SNOWBIRDS" for your start of "THE GOLDEN YEARS". Great place for wintering!!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

NWJeeper - Thanks again for the advice. We are members of AAA and will check to see what additional cost (if any) would be incurred to cover the Sunseeker. We will also check with our current car insurance provider to determine if they offer a roadside assistance rider. If neither of these pencil out, Good Sam seems like a viable alternative.
Daisy B. - Thanks for the invite to winter in Florida. Actually, my wife and I are natives of North Idaho and, having lived 20 years in California in the past, find that we are more attuned to the four-season type of climate. We actually look forward to the winter season when we can take a break from yard/garden chores and experience the beauty of a snowfall and catch up on our indoor pursuits. (Not to say that palm trees and white sand beaches don’t have their own special appeal.)