Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
KAS

Exclamation Parking in Sloping Driveway

Unfortunately my driveway slopes quite a bit. Needless to say, I can't run the refrigerator there and everything slides off the table and counters . I was thinking of driving it up onto something to level it when needed. It is parked nose down, so only the front wheels would have to come up. In campgrounds I use Lynx levelers, but I couldn't use them here because they would have to be stacked too high. Are there any sturdy ramps out there that would be able to support the front end of a Sunseeker of approx. 14,000 lbs? My fear is that they might collapse and/or tip sideways. And wooden ramps would either be too narrow (again, danger of tipping over) or, if wider, weigh too much to be moved. Has anyone out there had the same problem and was able to come up with a workable (and safe!) solution?
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How much height do you need?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
KAS

A little less than 2 feet.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

My drive slopes and I use the Big foot Levelers (SunSeeker 2860)
I back it down and on manual,I raise only the two Back jacks
It's not perfectly level but close enough for the Fridge to work and slides to be extended
With the slope you have I would use 2or 3 blocks under the Levelers and chock the tires
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

raising the front tires two feet to make it level is a lot. Airbags or jacks would be a good first choice.

To get an idea what this might look like I drew up a 16 inch high ramp that is a little over 5 ft long. You would need 4 2x8 that are 8 ft long. (assume the 2x8 are 1 5/8 thick) for each ramp. These would be heavy.

Regardless, I would chock the rear wheels to make sure it cannot roll down the drive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	90394  
Old 10-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

slopping driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Unfortunately my driveway slopes quite a bit. Needless to say, I can't run the refrigerator there and everything slides off the table and counters . I was thinking of driving it up onto something to level it when needed. It is parked nose down, so only the front wheels would have to come up. In campgrounds I use Lynx levelers, but I couldn't use them here because they would have to be stacked too high. Are there any sturdy ramps out there that would be able to support the front end of a Sunseeker of approx. 14,000 lbs? My fear is that they might collapse and/or tip sideways. And wooden ramps would either be too narrow (again, danger of tipping over) or, if wider, weigh too much to be moved. Has anyone out there had the same problem and was able to come up with a workable (and safe!) solution?
I live in Canada and have the same problem as you. I went to Canadian Tire an bought ramps that hold my Sunseeker 2500TS and bring it level enough for my fridge to work. the RV still slants down but not so much that flat objects stay put but round ones roll off.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Don't use standard automotive car ramps designed for light trucks and passenger cars. I witnessed those collapse when I guy was using them at a campground with his Georgieboy Pursuit. I don't know the weight, but he was trying to drive up the ramps going forward. He had a Ford Triton V10 engine and it was too much weight. No one was hurt and no damage was done, but the ramps folded like they were made of aluminum foil.
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

To use driving ramps you would need heavy duty truck ramps I have a set and they are rated at 20k pounds. But they will only lift you about 12 to 14 inches.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by papakilo View Post
I live in Canada and have the same problem as you. I went to Canadian Tire an bought ramps that hold my Sunseeker 2500TS and bring it level enough for my fridge to work. the RV still slants down but not so much that flat objects stay put but round ones roll off.
How high are they? The highest heavy-duty truck ramps I could find online are only 9.5" high. With several boards I could raise that to an acceptable level. Unfortunately Class C Sunseekers are lower in the front anyway (in campgrounds I usually have to drive up on Lynx levelers, since I don't have any hydraulic levelers like Bigfoot) which I have not even taken into account, I only measured the driveway angle from wheel to wheel. I am past caring what it would look like from the street, like a MH on stilts?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
To use driving ramps you would need heavy duty truck ramps I have a set and they are rated at 20k pounds. But they will only lift you about 12 to 14 inches.
14 inches and a couple of boards would work, where can I find those ramps?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Retire09

Same problem I don't turn on or fill the fridge until ready to depart.
Retire09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
raising the front tires two feet to make it level is a lot. Airbags or jacks would be a good first choice.

To get an idea what this might look like I drew up a 16 inch high ramp that is a little over 5 ft long. You would need 4 2x8 that are 8 ft long. (assume the 2x8 are 1 5/8 thick) for each ramp. These would be heavy.

Regardless, I would chock the rear wheels to make sure it cannot roll down the drive.

Nice drawing, thanks for going through the trouble! Being an "old f*rt" and depending on myself, I would have trouble moving them.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post

I have done the same thing, not as high, for my driveway. Mine raises MH about 7 inches. Have to say my "risers" are heavy.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire09 View Post
Same problem I don't turn on or fill the fridge until ready to depart.
I do the same. The sloping bothers me most when I do work in there (I'm always fixing or improving things), stools and ladders are unstable and tools etc. keep rolling/sliding away. I would also like to be able use it (A/C) when there's a power outage.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

I found these ramps at TSC and have a capacity of 12000 lbs. I think they would work as the front of your RV would not weigh that much. Here is the site for the ramps.

12,000LB 5400KG CAR RAMPS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #16

I have ramps that I made out of treated 2 x 12s,,, & a chain saw !!!
Could not get high enough,,, so we park out Sunseeker sideways in the drive way,,,
and then use 3 ramps on one side,,, only thing that works in our driveway!!!
I am sure many do not have room to do this,,, we do !!!
Any chance you could park in some other spot,,, maybe in the yard ???
When we had our Flagstaff TT,,, we had to lift the front as far as we could,,, about 3 feet,,, very scary !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
I found these ramps at TSC and have a capacity of 12000 lbs. I think they would work as the front of your RV would not weigh that much. Here is the site for the ramps.

Those ramps look nice,,, did not see any size on them,,, I am sure they are a lot lighter than my wooden ones !!! The trouble with some ramps is they slid on asphalt !!!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #18
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post

They look nice, do you know how high they are?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Nice drawing, thanks for going through the trouble! Being an "old f*rt" and depending on myself, I would have trouble moving them.
I put large handles on the end of ours,,,
so now we can drag them around !!!
Beats the H out of trying to lift them !!!
Garage door handles are the best !!!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I put large handles on the end of ours,,,
so now we can drag them around !!!
Beats the H out of trying to lift them !!!
Garage door handles are the best !!!
Good idea! Maybe I can attach ramps to a couple of boards with bolts, straps or brackets to increase the height and reduce the weight.

Tags
parking