Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Propane safety

When driving in your motorhome, are any of you running with your propane "on" so that your fridge is running?

Do any of you have any concerns about the propane flame running when pulling into gas stations?

Are any of you just leaving the fridge closed and unpowered for the days travel, and then powering back up once at a campground?

I read where there are some Dometic fridges equipped with wiring options that turn the "flame source off" for about 15 minutes everytime the vehicle ignition is turned off. This is supposedly for the action of refueling at gas stations, and turns the flame off for safety reasons. Not sure if anyone has this option equipped on their units.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

when coming into a gas station its best to shut off all propane.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

My ten year old son is diabetic and we need to keep his unopened insulin in the fridge, plus the way I look at it is we bought a motorhome for a reason so I'm not going to carry my cold stuff in a cooler until we get where we are going. We have our fridge on propane all the time, including down the road and at gas stations. I guess growing up on a farm and working construction I have been around some pretty hairy situations and filling up at the gas station with the fridge running doesn't really bother me. Doesn't mean it's safe, I myself just don't worry about it.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote