Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Question about motor home travel with person with diabilities?

Thinking about the purchase of a class C. Just wondering if anyone has experience with a RV ing with a stroke survivor (wife)? Any tips and/or experiences would be appreciated .
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Average Joe

I haven't had a stroke, but I have nerve damage. It affects my legs and hands. We just got our Sunseeker and I'm making out ok. I need to get a short stool for the side door. I also need my DW to help with the stinky slinky since I have trouble bending over and turning the couplings. Other thank that, I think this is working out great! Gets me out doing fun things.

Maybe you could go to a dealer and see if accessibility works for you two.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

Thanks! Did that already. Had her move around in a 2860ds sunseeker it was ok but need to go back and have her check out the potty and try getting into the bed. Also need to think about the extra work in taking care of another home.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

You might want to look at the Sunseeker 3050s floorplan ,has easy access to most things. Good luck, hope something works for you.
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Thanks, looking at that floor plan seems to give better access to the bed. Thus an easier entry.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Thanks! Did that already. Had her move around in a 2860ds sunseeker it was ok but need to go back and have her check out the potty and try getting into the bed. Also need to think about the extra work in taking care of another home.
OK as in will work or just so-so?

I do recommend spending a bit of time in any unit you decided upon before buying. It can make a big difference to do something a couple of times versus regularly while camping/RVing.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

So so is the best answer. I am still looking at the other floor plans and will take the wife to see the3050s floor plan. More later?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

Disabled Vet

Hi I am a disabled vet with neuropathy on left leg. My back is fused from C3 all the way to S1. Yes it is not a typo just a lot of surgeries and arthritis. Due to my condition I can not twist. look up or down, tilt my head to either side. I need either a walker or 2 canes to walk and I also have chronic pain. Being disabled, like your wife, makes traveling challenging. As you know airports are just a nightmare, trains better but unreliable and car travel just plain hurts. So If you guys want to travel then a motor home is the way to go. I would not recommend a pull behind or 5th wheel they are to much when setting up for your situation and then you still are traveling in a car, ok a pickup but no real difference when disabled on a long trip.
I want to see the U.S. and now being medically retired my wife and i can. So we talked and bought our 2014 Forest River 3051S.
We went to the RV show in Hershey Pa. in Sept so we could see everything out there. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. The number one thing on our list was; with my mobility limits which one will work best.
So when you guys go you need to put your wife's needs first and far ahead of anything else.
examples.
How easy is it to get in, does it have grab bars in and out?
Are the steps sturdy, how high are they of ground ( you will most likely need to buy a step stool)

In the cabin, how roomy is it, will she be able to move around, cup holders close.

In cabin can she get out of seat to get back to couch or bed and rest, can she do this without bumping you while driving

is bathroom big enough, can she get in and out of shower easily, or if she needs help is there room for someone to help her.

Is toilet height ok, not to low or high, are there grab bars or can they be added.

Bedroom, can she get in and out of bed, i know ours very high with padding added and we need to make a step for me.

In kitchen are shelves ok, is fridge easy to use. If microwave can she get to it.

These are just some of the things, i am sure i forgot some. But if she is comfortable then your trips will be stress free and you can just enjoy being together.

I have read others that say the 3051 has best layout of a class III and so far I must agree with them.
I hope you find a unit that works for you guys and you have a long time enjoying time together
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

Thanks everything that you mentioned is why we want to check out the units. With my wife being a stroke survivor she needs assistance to walk she can't do it alone so accessibility to the bed and commode are extremely important. She will not be moving around the coach alone so a clear asle front to back is extremely important so that I can assist. Thanks for all of your comments as you can relate to her issues.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

I must agree that a motor coach would be better than a travel trailer. Traded in my 2013 travel trailer on a 2014 coach. You're not stuck in an automobile seat in a confined space. You can stop almost anywhere to take a break, use the facilities, etc. Depending on the coach you choose, tv can be safely watched by passengers, while the coach is in motion. Fewer gasoline stops because of the larger fuel tanks. If she has a mobility chair, a toy hauler is great because she can ride right up the ramp. Since she has walking difficulty the toy hauler may be better anyway, toy haulers have a ramp making them easier to enter than with stairs. Toy haulers often have hide-away bunks in the storage area for when you don't need the storage space for "toys". Disabilities make things difficult for me sometimes, but camping is the single biggest boost to my self confidence. PM me with any questions you have. I'll be happy to help if I can.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

Question about motor home travel with person with diabilities?

I know this is a older post and hopefully you have found a rig that will work. Going to RV shows is a good way to see different units but it's so hard to get around. I bought a MH because I couldn't lift the hitch or hook or unhook. The MH is very easy to use and the only thing I would be concerned with is getting in and out. The door way is narrow and hard to help someone. We also wanted a class A diesel so it lowers when the air is released from the suspension. That makes it a little easer. Navy thanks for your service X marine myself. I also am fused from c3 to T1 and that's bad enough. I won't let them touch me again. Every surgery left me more of a mess than I was. Good luck and I hope you are seeing this great country that you helped defend

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #12

Thanks Phil and I also greatly appreciate your service. Well winter finally over in Pittsburgh so getting excited, hopefully warmer weather brings out house hunters. We are itching to get on the road, ao much so heading to campground close by very soon
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

I'm an incomplete paraplegic and can get around with a couple canes. After my accident 4 years ago we first bought a class A which worked great because I could lay down in the back whenever I got sore from driving when we would either stop and have lunch or the DW would drive for a while. Nice thing was we didn't have to put any slides out in order for me to lay on the bed. We have since sold that and have ordered our Columbus 365 with a rear bike rack so I can haul my little ( 83 lbs) scooter.
Hopefully you can make things work out and enjoy camping
Days camped in 2014: 7
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote