Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Question on eternabond tape

I put eternabond tape around the perimeter of my motorhome when it was new back in 2015. I didn’t need to clean it up too well and remembered how well it stuck to the roof. 3 years later now I noticed some of the dicore starting to crack a little around the vents, so I went to use the leftover tape I had from doing it originally. I had it in my garage, so It does get hot and cold, but not extremes. This time I used acetone to clean the surface and it did come up very clean. The tape stuck well in some spots and not in others, so much that I had to rip it all up. I tried cleaning the area again, but still would not stick enough. Is it possible that it just isn’t good anymore? It really stuck great when I first got it, but not this time.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #2

https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=206
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #3

From what l see it has a five year shelf life, l use Acetone to clean with and Eternaprime before l place Eternabond, l have used it without Eternaprime with good success. Might be time to buy a new roll, l didn't put Eternabond around my vents, l pulled my vents and used 2 layers of Butyl tape, some areas are unlevel and one layer isn't enough, l used Dicor self leveling sealant waited a few days and placed another layer, it has been on a year and looks good. The reason l didn't put Eternabond around my vents is because of the need of being replaced, 2 roof vents and 2 sewer vents are the only seems that don't have Eternabond on them. I also removed my windows and replaced the Butyl tape with two layers of Butyl tape.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #4

Eternabond, and nearly all other sealants, will NOT retain adhesion to SILICONE sealants or silicone treated surfaces, or water-proof treated fabrics (for example soft-top retractable car roofs), anti-stain treated fabrics, waxes or oily surfaces, dirt or other loose elements on a surface. Waxes, oil, dirt and loose surface elements must be removed before application of Eternabond to assure long term adhesion.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

I have looked with no results on how to properly store Eternabond.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I may just get the dicor and use that instead of trying the tape again. I never thought about it vents need to be replaced it would be easier to remove the dicor. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
I have looked with no results on how to properly store Eternabond.
Just sent an email to EB Tech support. I have a full sealed 25 foot roll of 4 inch tape I was planning on using with the new camper. I did order 2 10 foot pieces of 6 inch wide to seal the end caps, but will be ticked if I can't use the big roll of EB.

I will post what they say.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Just sent an email to EB Tech support. I have a full sealed 25 foot roll of 4 inch tape I was planning on using with the new camper. I did order 2 10 foot pieces of 6 inch wide to seal the end caps, but will be ticked if I can't use the big roll of EB.

I will post what they say.
Thanks, that will be good information for all of us.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I may just get the dicor and use that instead of trying the tape again. I never thought about it vents need to be replaced it would be easier to remove the dicor. Thanks again!
Has there only been Dicor used on you vent, still makes me wonder why the Eternabond would not stick, maybe silicone has been used in the past, if so it will need to be scrapped off and cleaned with Acetone really good before placing new Dicor or it want stick.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Is it possible that Gorilla or Flex tape is as good as Eternabond ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
Has there only been Dicor used on you vent, still makes me wonder why the Eternabond would not stick, maybe silicone has been used in the past, if so it will need to be scrapped off and cleaned with Acetone really good before placing new Dicor or it want stick.

It was the original dicor, no silicone. Eternabond stuck to the dicor no problem. It was several spots on the fiberglass roof that had absolutely no adhesion. I cleaned it very well with the acetone.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Short answer; no.

Long answer; heck no.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Short answer; no.

Long answer; heck no.

LOL !!!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
There is no question that Gorilla makes great tape... but it does degrade and loose adhesion at high temps. It is fabric covered premium duct tape. Gorilla will hold underwater if applied initially on a dry surface. Flex tape I have read is way over-rated but I have no direct experience.

Eternabond is not comparable in any way. Eternabond is thick mastic tape with a plastic sheet covering the topside. In 3+ years my roof applied Eternabond still looks new and is still sticking to the roof like I applied it yesterday.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
There is no question that Gorilla makes great tape... but it does degrade and loose adhesion at high temps. It is fabric covered premium duct tape. Gorilla will hold underwater if applied initially on a dry surface. Flex tape I have read is way over-rated but I have no direct experience.

Eternabond is not comparable in any way. Eternabond is thick mastic tape with a plastic sheet covering the topside. In 3+ years my roof applied Eternabond still looks new and is still sticking to the roof like I applied it yesterday.
Good Answer !!!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Got an answer from EB Tech Support.

Not what I was hoping for, but better to find out than screw up my roof.

Hi Louis,

Shelf life for our EternaBond products are indeed 5 years in an unopened package, however, the tape itself is designed to last 25 plus years. I would suggest opening the roll and testing the adhesion of a small portion of the tape. If it’s still aggressive, then you should be fine installing the tape for your application.

Regards,

Rayfield Johnson
Field Technical Service Manager | ETERNABOND | H.B. Fuller
office: +1 517-841-7154
Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Got an answer from EB Tech Support.

Not what I was hoping for, but better to find out than screw up my roof.

Hi Louis,

Shelf life for our EternaBond products are indeed 5 years in an unopened package, however, the tape itself is designed to last 25 plus years. I would suggest opening the roll and testing the adhesion of a small portion of the tape. If it’s still aggressive, then you should be fine installing the tape for your application.

Regards,

Rayfield Johnson

Field Technical Service Manager | ETERNABOND | H.B. Fuller

office: +1 517-841-7154

So with that answer, I’m thinking with mine being open, and 3 years old, it probably is not worth keeping!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
So with that answer, I’m thinking with mine being open, and 3 years old, it probably is not worth keeping!
Your call; I will test mine and if it is not "sticky" I will replace it.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

watching this, haven't done it yet.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond