RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

Rattling in Motorhome

Have had a trailer for 40 years, but now getting a 25 ft Sunseeker 2400. Question is "rattles" and getting ready for the road. With the trailer, we had things moved to "ride" in the trailer without a problem, but now we will be "in" the same space. Does things slide around if you don't tie them down. Do things rattle - or do you do something to keep things quiet?
SalmonAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Any moving vehicle will have things rattling when going down the road.

My mother had a MH and she just collected old T-Shirts from my brother and I. Through the laundry and then cut in various sizes to fit inside pots, pans, dishes, etc to stop rattles.

I ran into a guy at Walmart who was loading a cart full of wine into his car. As he took each bottle out he pulled a tube sock out of a bag and slipped it over each bottle then laid it down on the floor of his trunk. I commented on how clever that was. He said that's how he kept his wine bottles from "rattling" in his Motorhome. How much is a Costco sized bag of tube socks?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonAnn View Post
Does things slide around if you don't tie them down. Do things rattle - or do you do something to keep things quiet?
The simple answer is... yes things rattle if you don't tie them down and you need to tie them down to keep them from flying at you if you have to stop quickly.
The worst rattle we had was the cover on the stove which we quieted with a drying mat. Oh, and when someone forgot to close the silverware drawer properly, that would come flying out when we turned a corner and the shower doors would pop off their track if not closed properly.
Basically, make certain that all doors are closed firmly and put things away or tie them down before you take off down the road. They make a product called Musuem Putty which can keep small items on the counter in place as you travel.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Weve travelled for over 10 years in a motorhome.
Yes things rattle. My wife has perfected placing towels or non-skid shelf matting between certain items throughout the kitchen cupboards. Shes become very good at it.

We NEVER, I repeat, NEVER travel with anything loose on the counters in the rig....kitchen, bathroom, anywhere. Any one of them could become a projectile under certain situations and no one wants that.

Make sure your checklist to get underway, includes double checking all drawers and cupboards are securely closed before travel.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and might rarely get pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

You won’t need to “tie anything down” rather you have to pack smart. That is put things that may slide to the front of whatever cabinet it compartment they are in. An RV will always stop faster than it accelerates. Anything glass I put by itself so it won’t rattle. As you drive you will find what is rattling and someone can get up find it and reposition it.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
You wont need to tie anything down rather you have to pack smart. That is put things that may slide to the front of whatever cabinet it compartment they are in. An RV will always stop faster than it accelerates. Anything glass I put by itself so it wont rattle. As you drive you will find what is rattling and someone can get up find it and reposition it.
Thanks so much. I have Corel dishes and a friend suggested putting coffee filters between the plates. Drinking glasses are all plastic. I've got little racks that attach to the walls to hold sink soaps. Good hint to put things that slide toward the front of cupboards.
SalmonAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

Yes, almost everything rattles

We try to avoid carrying any kitchen ware made of glass (that includes Corelle). Metal pots and pans are buffered with wash cloths/rags/towels. Also a common rattler/bouncer/bumper can be the revolving glass plate in the microwave oven. We wrap that plate in a towel for when driving the motorhome.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonAnn View Post
Thanks so much. I have Corel dishes and a friend suggested putting coffee filters between the plates. Drinking glasses are all plastic. I've got little racks that attach to the walls to hold sink soaps. Good hint to put things that slide toward the front of cupboards.
We have no glass or anything breakable. The only glass I have is alcohol. I should have said do not carry any glass or breakable stuff. Not only would you have to clean it up, but it's much heavier than plastic. We have cheap silverware, cheap plastic plates and cups as well as paper plates and plastic spoons/knives/forks.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote