Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Removing Frozen Roof cover

Here's something I hope someone can answer for me. Over last winter my mh roof was damaged. It's since been replaced . This year I am looking at finding indoor storage.
Since we've escaped winter in previous years we're watching monitoring if/ when the border opens this year . The perfect solution would be to find an indoor storage facility with in/out privileges.
If I can't I was wondering about getting a mh cover ( Adco etc). If the border remains closed there's some protection . If it opens I can remove it .......or can I ?? . What if it's frozen to the roof ?

Has anyone out there had to remove a cover stuck ( frozen) to the roof .
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Here's something I hope someone can answer for me. Over last winter my mh roof was damaged. It's since been replaced . This year I am looking at finding indoor storage.
Since we've escaped winter in previous years we're watching monitoring if/ when the border opens this year . The perfect solution would be to find an indoor storage facility with in/out privileges.
If I can't I was wondering about getting a mh cover ( Adco etc). If the border remains closed there's some protection . If it opens I can remove it .......or can I ?? . What if it's frozen to the roof ?

Has anyone out there had to remove a cover stuck ( frozen) to the roof .
Do not even try to remove a cover frozen to the roof. My adco designer series cover has a tyvek roof and it repels water but snow on the cover will thaw and refreeze almost every day even in well.below freezing temperatures, and the resulting ice will lock in your vents, ac shroud, antennas, etc. You will break all sorts of roof protrusions and rip your cover too
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

You don't have to become a prisoner of your RV cover in the winter. If you are concerned about things breaking due to freezing and removing your cover a few simple steps will resolve that. lift the bottom section of your cover in the area of the furnace inlet and exhaust well up away from that area start the furnace and let the heat build don't rush let things get warm and then remove the cover.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You don't have to become a prisoner of your RV cover in the winter. If you are concerned about things breaking due to freezing and removing your cover a few simple steps will resolve that. lift the bottom section of your cover in the area of the furnace inlet and exhaust well up away from that area start the furnace and let the heat build don't rush let things get warm and then remove the cover.
I don't know. Might not be workable for me.

My 2 cents for the OP would be to not cover if getting out of Dodge quickly is the main goal.

My adco designer series cover doesn't offer enough slack or the ability to create enough open space next to the furnace exhaust outlet without compromising cover stability in the wind - it probably won't blow off but will reposition itself in the wind and likely in a way to burn a hole in the cover from the exhaust heat - or worse.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roo, roof