RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 PM   #21

When I had the TT I would set the cruise at 75, no more than that. Normally around 70.
With the MH no ore than 70, I'll set the cruise at 65-67. According to Ford my Explorer toad is good fo no kore than 70.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 PM   #22

My trailer tires are rated for 65 max. So I poke along at about 62-63 when I'm towing. When I'm driving my Honda Insight, I'll do our speed limit of 75 here any time it's safe. I'm never in a hurry when towing the trailer.
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #23

Keep your speed safe when towing. After driving for a bit with the trailer you will ďfeelĒ whatís safe. Take it easy in the mountains especially. In my DX3 with 10-12K in trailer I run 65. No need to run faster, itís not a race car. Plus think mileage.

That said I do tow a UTV (Can am Maverick X3) behind my Raptor at much higher speeds. I built the trailer myself from scratch. I used SUV tires on beadlock wheels, so even with a blowout the tires stay on the wheels. I also designed it to have exactly 30% tongue weight. All done in autocad before the build. I tested the trailer on private land up to 100mph, and it handles it well. Even trying to upset the trailer it stays straight. So, on the highway at 80 itís solid.

I built this trailer for Mexico, itís got high ground clearance yet itís stable. Carries 2 spare tires, and a spare axle hub. All wiring is in pvc conduit. Also itís the exact size of the UTV...for Mexicoís narrow roads. You can beat the hell out of it and it wonít break. Love the thing!

ójohn
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #24

Depending on the tires a motorhome on a truck chassis I would probably be comfortable with at least 70 or 75. Pulling a fifth with my truck trailer tires rated at 99 mph max speed I am ok with 70+.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #25

Without any hint of wind 70 is ok. 67 seems to be the best. When it gets windy 62 seems to be the best. Yes be had mine up to 75 before (slight downhill and didnít notice) I was at 75 and noticed it had no more power, yes, mine as Iím sure others are governed the same!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #26

65 max for me.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #27

64 gives me a rock solid tow, I can enjoy holding a cup of coffee. Now when passing at 70+ need that second hand on the wheel.

Now a car I'd be +8 over the limit.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #28

I'm 65-67 usually when pulling our TT. It's funny how that last 3 mph really taxes the truck. We still drop down to about 10mpg from 14mpg normally no matter how slow or fast. We've taken to setting Google Maps to "avoid highways" which can be a mixed blessing. In West Texas, where there are long, straight highways that are more direct than the interstate, we find we make time that's closer to the map estimate, whereas on the interstates, we add about 10%. On the recent trip to Appalachians, "no highways" often put us on these ridiculously narrow, winding mountain roads that were signed for 35 and I was white knuckling at 25 (not really, but I was being especially cautious) that we'd drive 4 hours and end up an hour away!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504patrick View Post
I'm 65-67 usually when pulling our TT. It's funny how that last 3 mph really taxes the truck. We still drop down to about 10mpg from 14mpg normally no matter how slow or fast. We've taken to setting Google Maps to "avoid highways" which can be a mixed blessing. In West Texas, where there are long, straight highways that are more direct than the interstate, we find we make time that's closer to the map estimate, whereas on the interstates, we add about 10%. On the recent trip to Appalachians, "no highways" often put us on these ridiculously narrow, winding mountain roads that were signed for 35 and I was white knuckling at 25 (not really, but I was being especially cautious) that we'd drive 4 hours and end up an hour away!
You hit it on the head when you pointed out how the last 3 mph is the most difficult.

Every vehicle combination will have it's sweet spot. For me it's 60-65 where air resistance builds to the point where it feels like you are driving into a severe headwind that just came up. Kind of like a terminal velocity of a falling object.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #30

Whatever speed you're comfortable with. Let others worry about how to get around you!!
Remember the first rule of Italian Driving ( from the movie"Pinball Rally)

Donta worry about whatsa behind!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #31

Depends on the road. On I-70 through the Colorado mtns I try to stay 55-60. 65 max.

On the open road going through the desert in the middle of nowhere 70-75 seems fine.

ójohn
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I am the 99th percentile cruse user, I use it most of the time I am driving and sit in the right lane whenever possible (it actually is the law in most states). In the MH on good highway I set it to 65MPH (seems to be a good combination of speed, handling a fuel economy).

<my picks with other driver>
While on cruise I watch as the same car passes me 5 time and gets in the right lane and slows back down forcing me into the passing lane to pass them again.
*Trucks don't have a choice on this they cannot keep speed on grade.

It seems about one in every 100 drivers will come up on me fast and then slow to my speed sitting in my blind spot for no reason, then cars start accumulating behind our rolling roadblock.

-Bill
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #33
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
If I am towing my trailer 65 max, I do not care what the traffic is like on the interstate. I stay in the RH lane and maintain my speed. Most but not all trailer tires are rated for 65MPH max, although my trailer tires are rated for 75 MPH Max.

Remember how much your trailer and tow vehicle weigh when you are driving and towing the trailer.

My truck and trailer weigh north of 20,000 LBS combined so, this is why I drive 65MPH.
From your words to the trucking industry's ears/eyes - I wish. I have exactly the same opinion. Our 20,000 lbs and the equipment with which we handle it, is not directly comparable with the 80,000lbs carried by the 18-wheelers but I cannot believe that they have 4X our brakes and dynamic controls even if loaded to a lesser GW. Yet I am continuously passed on the interstates by these trucks at this speed, rain or shine, day or night.
vlamgat is online now   Reply With Quote