Old 05-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Road speed

Traveling along in our Motorhome through Nevada. Speed limit on Interstate 80 is, uh, 80 mph. Just curious, what speed are you all comfortable traveling at on open highways?

TandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

Comfortable doing 65 mph in rv. Have travelled faster but usually slow down when I notice. In a car different story I do the speed limit + 5 mph.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

In aa car, 80 is OK. In an RV, 65 seems about the max. We just stay in the right lane.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

My Toad tow speed limit is 65 so 62/65 is it for us. Without a Toad motorhome speed would probably be limited to 75. We typically try to limit days travel to about 300 miles maximum and we never get in a hurry to get to a destination (over night stop or otherwise) . Speed limit in car.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

If I am towing my trailer 65 max, I do not care what the traffic is like on the interstate. I stay in the RH lane and maintain my speed. Most but not all trailer tires are rated for 65MPH max, although my trailer tires are rated for 75 MPH Max.

Remember how much your trailer and tow vehicle weigh when you are driving and towing the trailer.

My truck and trailer weigh north of 20,000 LBS combined so, this is why I drive 65MPH.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #6

Lots of MH's are capable of driving 80 mph with ease but a few considerations. Is it comfortable to handle at that speed? If something goes wrong (vehicle stopping suddenly, you need to avoid a hazard, you have a tire failure) will you be able to avoid or stop in time? Just remember that driving at 80 mph you are covering over 117 feet per second. 60 mph is 88 feet per second.

Average person's reaction time is around .25 seconds so at 80 you travel 30 feet BEFORE you can even start to brake. At 60 mph it's only 22 feet. That extra 8 feet might come in handy in an emergency. The difference between not hitting the vehicle ahead or ending up several feet into them.

Now that the safety part is out of the way, fuel economy is out the window once you push a big box like a motorhome or pull a travel trailer through the air above 50 mph. That was the entire logic behind the old 55 mph national speed limit ( only 35 mph during WWII).

Best speed to drive the interstates? Whatever you feel is safe for you and those around you and feel you can afford in wasted fuel.

FWIW, there used to be (and maybe still is) a factor that's used by engineers who advise legislatures on speed limits. It's called the 85th percentile. Surveys have shown that 85% of the drivers on the road will drive a safe speed regardless of what the posted speed is. I frequently find that LOTS of people are not driving up to the posted speed and unless they are ridiculously pokey-slow (even worse not at a steady speed) I find it works for me too.

(I had to learn this as part of my "sentence" for getting several speeding tickets when i was still a teenager. Judge added that project on top of the fine(s). )

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

In our mini MH, 65 is a comfortable driving speed... unless it is windy, then we slow it down to whatever is comfortable. It's easy to drive 75 or 80, but I'm not comfortable with my reaction time at that speed. (Don't tell anyone, but I have driven 80 when there is not much traffic and the weather is beautiful)
Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FWIW, there used to be (and maybe still is) a factor that's used by engineers who advise legislatures on speed limits. It's called the 85th percentile. Surveys have shown that 85% of the drivers on the road will drive a safe speed regardless of what the posted speed is. I frequently find that LOTS of people are not driving up to the posted speed and unless they are ridiculously pokey-slow (even worse not at a steady speed) I find it works for me too.
I believe the 85% part. I've read that many times in the past. Its one of the reason the 55MPH speed limit was such a "problem" as its well below that 85% number.

I question your second part.... you find that LOTS of people are driving below the speed limit?!?! I've heard that Seattle area is special but I wonder. Here in NJ, heck the entire east cost, almost no one drives below the speed limit. Last Xmas on our way to Georgia while driving on I81 through Virginia I set my cruise control to 65MPH (trailer was attached). The posted speed limit varied from 55 to 70. In 2-3 hours of driving I passed no one.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I believe the 85% part. I've read that many times in the past. Its one of the reason the 55MPH speed limit was such a "problem" as its well below that 85% number.

I question your second part.... you find that LOTS of people are driving below the speed limit?!?! I've heard that Seattle area is special but I wonder. Here in NJ, heck the entire east cost, almost no one drives below the speed limit. Last Xmas on our way to Georgia while driving on I81 through Virginia I set my cruise control to 65MPH (trailer was attached). The posted speed limit varied from 55 to 70. In 2-3 hours of driving I passed no one.

Jim M.
'
Obviously my statement was based on my own non-scientific observations. Just what i encounter in my driving. Yes, it seems like everyone is going faster than the posted limit but my driving now is pretty much only on trips with trailer behind me. With our towing speeds out west, for the most part, posted lower than the regular speed I find I have a lot of company at the slower speed.

FWIW, here where I live N of Seattle the biggest speed demons are from North of the border. Especially the trucks. Only time the even get close to the speed limit and/or stop tailgating, is when the State Patrol runs emphasis patrols. Then all the truck drivers from up North become angels.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #10
Brake is on left

I'll do 80. Tires are rated for 110. I won't do it for long bexause my fuel econ drops significantly over 75. Exhaust brake, 4 wheel trailer brakes... All good. I race, so driving at half speed is like driving in slow mo.
Edit- oops, tho3s is the motorhome section. Yeah, I stuck to 70 tops in a class A.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

My 2 cents.

I'll do 65 on the flats with cruise control then when approaching a grade will put a little pressure on the gas pedal gaining enough speed to crest the hill without a downshift. Usually 68 to 72 is enough for most hills.
Usually driving those speeds with tow/haul on.

Foothills and mountains are another animal. I dont flog my MH, will settle in behind a tractor trailer, I dont care.

Chris
Furion Vison S Observation/Rear Camera
RecPro 70" Dual Recliners
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #12

I'll chime in too....When in our RV I keep it at 62 to 64 MPH easier to control and best mileage for our rig too. 2013 35' Georgetown
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:29 AM   #13

With the trailer hitched up cruise set to 62 - 65 on the straights (i-10, I-8, I-40), but we have lost of twisty curvy roads going through the mountains, so sometimes down to 50.

Without the trailer, it all depends on what I'm driving and where the cops are.

FWIW: Christmas day, 2014 (I think) was travelling in a car across Texas on I-10 (I think). Speed limit was 85 I believe, we were doing 95. Saw gumballs come on about a mile ahead of us, immediately pulled over.

State trooper finally got to us and said "You obviously knew I was pulling you over, and I think you know why." I explained that we had been caught in an ice storm on interstate 40 the day before and we had been stranded over night on a back country road because they closed the 40"

Trooper had heard about the ice storm and closure, and since it was Christmas day was letting me off with a warning when DW pipes up with "OK, the speed limit is 85, how fast can we go?"

Trooper says "Speed limit is 85".

DW says "but how fast can we go? - you know, 5 over, 10 over?"

Trooper said "I'm giving you a warning. The speed limit is 85 - the highest in the country. If you get stopped again there's gonna be a problem."

We left and only went 85 from that point on.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #14

When we first started traveling out west and traveled through Montana, the speed limit was "whatever you think is safe and prudent". That was on the signs for posted speed limits. I drive at 60/65 normally, maybe faster before having to drive up a steep incline.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 AM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

Cruise control is set for 62......sweet spot for best mileage and enough left over for extra if needed.
I’m retired......not in a hurry anymore.
I’m driving a brick. Aerodynamics is not in its vocabulary.
MOST, I repeat, MOST interstates are posted such that driving 62 MPH is not an issue for anyone when you travel in the right lane.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and only sometimes pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandM View Post
Traveling along in our Motorhome through Nevada. Speed limit on Interstate 80 is, uh, 80 mph. Just curious, what speed are you all comfortable traveling at on open highways?
Most States have a Posted speed limit,travel at the posted limit or Below! LEO's have heard EVERY Excuse so no need to Practice new ones here! Youroo!!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #17

Wind resistance, the primary factor in fuel use pushing anything, especially a brick shaped vehicle, thru the air is exponential. It is twice at 70 than it was at 50. This doesn't mean you'll use twice as much fuel for a set distance but you'll use a lot more.

Motorhome, camper trailer, SUV or Pickup, .50 caliber bullet all have the same fight over air resistance. The .50 cal, though has an aerodynamic advantage lacking in our vehicles.

"But I'll get there faster" I hear from the back of the room. Maybe. In a personal set of tests I drove dozens of times from Cleveland to Gettysburg when my daughter was a student at the College. Driving the "speed limit" (72 in a 65, of course) with just my V8 SUV I could make the trip on a single tank of fuel. Any speed faster than "10 over" required a fuel stop and the 300 mile trip took the same amount of time using more fuel. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Most States have a Posted speed limit,travel at the posted limit or Below! LEO's have heard EVERY Excuse so no need to Practice new ones here! Youroo!!
I believe the words you’ll see on the sign are “MAXIMUM SPEED”, or at least I’m pretty sure.
What part of MAXIMUM are people having trouble with?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and only sometimes pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #19

65 or the speed limit, whichever is lower.

The way I Look at it, speed limits are designed for maximum safety in ideal conditions. When driving the motor home or towing a trailer we are at the ragged edge of ideal.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #20

Even traveling at the speed limit during "Rain/Fog/Smoke/Dust/Ice/Snow" can Earn you a Speeding Ticket! Speed Excessive for Road Conditions! Youroo!!