Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

Shock Warehouse Service

First,I know talking about shocks on this forum is opening a can of worms as to what is the best, I am not interested in that discussion. I bought four Bilsteins from Shock Warehouse last summer. We recently had levelers installed at Bigfoot in White Plains, MI while the motorhome was in the shop the mechanic noticed one of our shocks was cracked off at the top. Yes, it snapped off at the top and was literally just hanging on the bottom fitting. We found a local shop to repair it that day so we did not have to spend another night in White Plains. However, we had to replace the Bilstein with what was available, a Monroe. We called Shock Warehouse about the warranty and sent them pictures of the shock.Two weeks later they will not return our calls or emails, now we are dealing direct with Bilstein.
I am happy to applaud good service like the folks at Bigfoot for their great service, product, and overnight parking. I also feel bad service should be pointed out as well. All Shockwarehouse has to do is answer our calls or emails. If they do not want to honor the warranty for whatever reason, stand up and tell us but don't ignore us.
Below are pictures of our broken shock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shock 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	271564   Click image for larger version

Name:	shock 3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	271565   Click image for larger version

Name:	shock 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	271566  
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:39 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

What part # Bilstein did you put on chummy? F or R?

I searched “Shock Warehouse Reviews” and it appears a whole bunch of folks agree with you.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

I have to admit your lack of customer service from Shockwarehouse surprises me.
I have bought many sets of shocks and Sumo springs from them. I always call directly and they have given me great advice. I did have to return 2 shocks when they sent the wrong ones. It was handled very well.
I am hoping your experience is just an exception.
Sorry for your bad experience. Let us know how Bilstein replies.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #4

To date still no reply from Shock warehouse. However, Bilstein got right back to us. We sent in pictures,and receipts and promptly received a warranty claim form to fill out. So far Bilstein has been very cooperative and quick to reply.
The shocks we purchased were the ones made for our E450 chassis.
I am concerned about using two different shocks on the rear of our motorhome. I searched for what could happen and only found out it is not a good idea. Anyone know why you should not mix brands of shocks?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:37 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Reputable

Bilstein has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. Not surprised you are getting good service from them. As far as the shocks go, OEM shocks are spec equipment that Ford puts on the chassis. Ford does not change that for motorhome option builds that I know of. However, Bilstein makes two different shocks specifically designed for motorhome applications to replace the OEM shocks. FR installs them on Classics now. Shocks are replaced in pairs because of differences in performance between new and old. That could be problematic for your ride and tire wear if you do not. Using different brands is worse. My suggestion is to upgrade the pair to Motorhome “Comfort” Bilsteins. Fairly certain you will be happy and safe.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #6

I promptly heard back from Bilstein and it was not what I wanted to hear but am glad to know what happened. According to Bilstein the shocks were over torqued when installed. They pointed out the stressed threads and expansion between them. So now the issue lies with my mechanic and do I hate to have to deal with that.
I might also add that Shock warehouse sold me the wrong shocks, the ones I have are for a commercial E450 truck and not a motorhome. Again I go back to the title of this thread, service.
Thanks for the replies.

Tags
service