Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Slide Out Leak Cure

Since we bought our Lexi last July I noticed the top of the slide out, right side, front corner, slide in, always got wet during a moderate to heavy rain. Water would dribble down to the floor. Kept a towel on the top of the slide and on the floor to catch the wet stuff. Checked the seals and wipers, touched up the roof seams with Dicor to no avail.
Well, a few days ago, after returning from an outing, gave the Lexi a good cleaning and detailing. Had the slides out to clean their tops, and noticed the upper seal, attached to the body, seemed a bit short. This is the two piece seal, a plastic track applied to the body with a rubber compression seal/gasket that slides onto the track, and than the gasket compresses when the slide is in, making a seal. Noticed the seal/gasket seemed to be about 2 inches short. On the rear of the slide the upper gasket and the vertical gasket met, forming a seal, but the front, missing the two inches, left a gap of about 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
I temporairily bridged the gap with a piece of auto weatherstripping. Wouldn't you know it, today we had one heck of a rain storm, blowing directly on that side. Guess what??? No leak. Seems that whoever measured the length at the factory, "eyeballed it" and figured it was enough.
This is just something to check if you have a leak and can't find the source. It's really not noticable as the gasket is black on a black track. I didn't see it till I was a foot away from the gap.
Just think, a stinking 2 inch short rubber seal could have led to some major water damage. Going to look at replacing the seals as soon as I can find the right style on line.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

If you are going to Goshen, let them fix it.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

No, it's out of warranty. Its a 2012, purched by original owner, used once, than stored in a garage when owner found he didn't like it---too small. Maintained it, started systems monthly until he put it up for sale. Had just 1500 miles on it when we bought it a month out of warranty.
Besides, something that simple I would have fixed myself anyway.
Just posting for others if they have a leak, and can't find the cause. It's so easy to overlook as you have to get up on a ladder to get a good visual at the area. Hard to see from ground level, a black on black gasket and track.
Grumpy
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
No, it's out of warranty. Its a 2012, purched by original owner, used once, than stored in a garage when owner found he didn't like it---too small. Maintained it, started systems monthly until he put it up for sale. Had just 1500 miles on it when we bought it a month out of warranty.
Besides, something that simple I would have fixed myself anyway.
Just posting for others if they have a leak, and can't find the cause. It's so easy to overlook as you have to get up on a ladder to get a good visual at the area. Hard to see from ground level, a black on black gasket and track.
Grumpy
At the Goshen rally, they don't care, as long as it's a FR product, regardless of the year or how many owners it's had, they'll fix it for free.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Does that mean they would install a new roof on my Lexi.!!! Seems I have one that had one of the "bad batch" fiberglass roofs installed. Have found several cracks that I've touched up with Dicor.
Won't go to Goshen for a gasket, but will for a new roof!!!
Seriously, it would cost 10 times the amount to drive up there than its going to cost for a new seal.
Grumpy
Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Does that mean they would install a new roof on my Lexi.!!! Seems I have one that had one of the "bad batch" fiberglass roofs installed. Have found several cracks that I've touched up with Dicor.
Won't go to Goshen for a gasket, but will for a new roof!!!
Seriously, it would cost 10 times the amount to drive up there than its going to cost for a new seal.
Grumpy
Get in touch with F.R.O.G. Bob. From my understanding, if it's defective, they'll fix it.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

There were some previous threads/posts about the Lexi roof developing cracks due to a "bad batch" supplied by an independant contractor, who, from what I read, is now out of business. Can't go after the manf., and I seriously doubt FR is going to lay out 5 to 6 grand to replace it out of warranty.
One can dream though.
Grumpy
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
There were some previous threads/posts about the Lexi roof developing cracks due to a "bad batch" supplied by an independant contractor, who, from what I read, is now out of business. Can't go after the manf., and I seriously doubt FR is going to lay out 5 to 6 grand to replace it out of warranty.
One can dream though.
Grumpy
I would think it would be worth a PM to F.R.O.G Bob at least. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain for about a 2 minute PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #9

Grumpy the roof issue is not just a problem with your brand they have had problems with all so called fiberglass roofs on all brands. My guess and only a guess is the sheet of roofing gets over flexed when applied. I have a 2011 Berkshire and I had the roof crack and was replaced last year under warranty. Call the warranty dept and talk the them. It's something they should cover in a 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, slide out