Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #1

"special" MD driver's license for Class A

We live in Maryland and have purchased a Class A 35' motorhome. Trying to figure out the process to get a Class B licenses. The info on the MVA website is horrible...we can't even figure out if a "learner's permit" is needed.
Anybody living in MD have experience with this?
Kimsu34QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

I live in MD and got my restricted class A RV non commercial license. You have to go to a dmv site and take a written test and get your learners. Then get the additional information so you can take the walk through and drivers test. To do the last 2, you need someone who has a class B or higher license. They can have either commercial or non commercial. I assume you have air breaks, so there is additional steps during the walk through and driving test. The person taking you probably needs to be the "air brake" endorsement.
Good luck getting through to DMV to schedule an appointment to take the written and then the drivers test. I have the booklets from when I took my test last year.
I can't take you as the driver with the valid license must have it for at least 3 years.
riengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. What are the restrictions with the learner's permit? Are you allowed to practice driving without being accompanied by the licensed driver? The rv dealership told us that there was no special license required to drive this thing. I would have gone a different direction had I known.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Always Learning

When I lived in Maryland, I was required to get a non-commercial class A license (my combined gross weight rating was over 26,001 pounds with a truck at 12,300 pounds and camper at 15,825 lbs). The state's requirements were unrealistic and I planned on feigning ignorance if I ever got pulled over or questioned about it.

What is the gross/maximum weight of the RV?
Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When I lived in Maryland, I was required to get a non-commercial class A license (my combined gross weight rating was over 26,001 pounds with a truck at 12,300 pounds and camper at 15,825 lbs). T
As ependydad says, it appears to depend on the weight of the rv being under 26001 pounds to drive with a regular drivers license. Check this out https://mva.maryland.gov/drivers/Pag...onal%20vehicle.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

Our weight is above 26,001 at 32,000. Believe me, we have thought about feigning ignorance. Our fear is that our insurance won't cover an accident if we don't have the correct license; even though the insurance agent didn't ask anything about our license type.
You're correct, the process is unrealistic as well as confusing. For instance, is it required that a licensed individual accompany me when I'm practicing for the test? Who knows...and with COVID it's impossible to speak to anybody at an MVA location.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #7

We have all 'seen' how sometimes it is very hard to navigate Forest River Warranties.... Warranty???? What Warranty are you talking about?? 'We' are not 'paying' to fix 'that'...

I will give you some good advice that feigning ignorance of 'The Law', will not cut it in reference from Insurance Companies that will NOT honor your claim and/or Police that WILL give you a ticket for being improperly Licensed . Do not think that you may only get 'away' with a 'ticket', the 'police' can and may tell you NOT to drive one more foot because YOU are not licensed to 'Drive' said vehicle..... Now what are you going to do???? Find 'someone' who is licensed to drive it where it needs to go? Have it towed? The police can 'have it towed' and then some more fun happens to get it out of an empoundment yard.... Be prepared to PAY, one way or the other.

Jump through the 'hoops' and get it done correctly. Stupid 'laws'??? yes. But stupid 'laws' are made by and for 'stupid' people, because sheep dip happens.
(yes, I have been involved in 'politics' for many years to 'try' to made 'good' laws and get rid of 'bad' laws. But... as is human nature, what is 'good' to some, is 'bad' to others and there is very little 'middle ground')

(I am not calling anyone 'Stupid', so chill... it is the system that we have. Live with 'The Laws'...or change 'The Laws'.... or get back on the porch.... )

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #8

You are supposed to have a licensed driver with you, but I only used one when I went to take the driver's test. Were you able to get the instruction booklets you need. Let me know and I will see how to send them to you.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #9

We downloaded the basic guide from the MVA web site which has the pre-trip inspection steps, basic control skills and public road guide. It's 12 pages in length. Is there something else that we're missing? Thank you so much for your assistance.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
jkoenig24

" I planned on feigning ignorance if I ever got pulled over or questioned about it"

EXCEPT by posting here, you've admitted that you ARE aware of the rules. Should you ever be involved in a SERIOUS accident, (death and or SPI) even if you are completely blameless otherwise, a half way decent Attourney is LIKELY to find this post when a search is done (early on, they'd be VERY likely to formerly depose you so, you'd either have to come clean OR commit a FELONY in trying to cover up your misdeeds). WHATEVER get posted online, for all practical purposes, is there FOREVER just waiting to be dug up.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #11

Hello! I'm in Centreville not far from you. Class C on Chevy chassis. Yes Maryland is a mess on licenses. I'm lucky to have a commercial class A from my former employer that i kept after I retired. I still pay for the annual DOT physical. Old saying is once you get it Never give it up without a fight especially in MD. Yes you should have the appropriate driver when practicing.
John Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #12

Sounds like it might be easier to move to a different state...
Old 02-18-2021, 04:40 AM   #13

to John Maryland,
Did you know you can convert it to a non commercial class A. I think the guy I used to get my license did that.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #14

Thank you all for your help and yes, we are working on getting the proper license so we can safely and legally operate our MH.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #15

All the more reason to keep my basic Georgia license that’s required to drive anything. It also allows any RV, regardless of weight or size, even a while 60k Prevost or similar.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
" I planned on feigning ignorance if I ever got pulled over or questioned about it"

EXCEPT by posting here, you've admitted that you ARE aware of the rules. Should you ever be involved in a SERIOUS accident, (death and or SPI) even if you are completely blameless otherwise, a half way decent Attourney is LIKELY to find this post when a search is done (early on, they'd be VERY likely to formerly depose you so, you'd either have to come clean OR commit a FELONY in trying to cover up your misdeeds). WHATEVER get posted online, for all practical purposes, is there FOREVER just waiting to be dug up.
I'm now licensed in Florida which has no such requirements.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #17

A class A motorhome needs a class B non-commercial license in MD (to confuse things)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #18

Sheesh. And why would anyone live in MD?
Old 02-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Sheesh. And why would anyone live in MD?
Jobs, family, friends, all the things?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #20

So, what about those of us just driving through the state? If the rule only applies to residents, isn’t that a little hypocritical?

Tags
class a