RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #21

Also, if I plug in to a 30amp site, or into a 110 at home, do I still use the ems for protection? Would I just use an adapter attached to it, then to power cable? I am new to all of this. Thanks.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #22

We have the 30a progressive ind portable EMS. There is a metal tab on the collar that you can use to put a chain thru then we wrap this around the power pedestal and have a lock on that. It won't stop someone with bolt cutters (or someone determined to steal it) but it will stop it from casually walking away. Haven't had any error codes come up yet but considering what you pay for the trailer I think its cheap insurance. Cincia
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #23

Has anyone put a black trash bag, or a bucket over theirs to prevent it from being seen? Out of sight and out of mind may help against theft is what I am thinking too.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

Old 11-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
Has anyone put a black trash bag, or a bucket over theirs to prevent it from being seen? Out of sight and out of mind may help against theft is what I am thinking too.
If the trailer is close enough to the pedestal, we usually plug in the 30amp extension to the pedestal first, the surge protector gets plugged in next between the extension cords, and I'll set it up on top of the two tires behind the tire covers. It's out of sight and out of the weather.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The last 3 yrs I've used a Surge Guard model 34560 with the Remote Power Monitor LCD Display without any issues. The big issue between Progressive Industries EMS and Surge Guard is the warranty. Surge Guard has a year and Progressive Industries is lifetime being made in the USA.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
If the trailer is close enough to the pedestal, we usually plug in the 30amp extension to the pedestal first, the surge protector gets plugged in next between the extension cords, and I'll set it up on top of the two tires behind the tire covers. It's out of sight and out of the weather.
Nice! I am thinking anything that keeps it out of sight is better than nothing.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Also, if I plug in to a 30amp site, or into a 110 at home, do I still use the ems for protection? Would I just use an adapter attached to it, then to power cable? I am new to all of this. Thanks.

Yep, you *always* should use it.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
I always do. Also helps in heavy rain

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #29
bcr

Does anyone know anything about this surge protector?

Progressive Industries SSP-50XL Surge Protector with Cover - 50 Amp
by Progressive Industries
4.7 out of 5 stars 509 customer reviews | 84 answered questions
Price: $119.95 & FREE Shipping. Details
bcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr View Post

Price: $119.95 & FREE Shipping. Details
SSP-SURGE PROTECTION MODELS

Q: Can I use an adapter and maintain full surge protection?
A: Yes. An adapter can be used and the RV will maintain full surge protection.

Q: Will these models provide voltage protection?
A: No. The surge protector models do not include voltage protection. The surge protectors strictly provide protection during an actual power surge. However, Progressive Industries surge protection units have additional features which include a built-in surge status indicator that not the condition of the surge protector, plus a dual line polarity tester that checks the status of the source prior to use. For complete protection, we recommend our EMS units.

Q: Will these models provide wiring protection?
A: No. The surge protectors do not provide wiring protection. They will identify an improper wire condition.

Q: Will these models automatically reset?
A: Yes, they will automatically reset.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr View Post

Price:$119.95 & FREE Shipping. Details

If it doesn't protect against low voltage, it's not the product for me. From crunchman's response, it sounds like it doesn't.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #32
Site Team

What is the threat you are trying to protect against? The most common issue that causes damage to RVs is under voltage ( due to heavy loads) which can cause AC compressors to overheat and die and can damage some microwaves. A surge protector will not protect against this. There are surges and spikes, but they are much less common than under and over voltage.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #33

surge guard voltage regulator

Surgeguard makes an EMS almost identical to Progressive. Just like Progressive makes a cheaper surge device almost identical to the cheaper Surgeguard. The main difference between the two brands is that Progressive has a Lifetime Warranty and Surgeguard doesn't.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #34

Surge Guard

The Surge Guard model 35530 which I have hard wired in my trailer does the following according to their web site.

Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present:
Open ground
Open neutral
Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
Miswired pedestal
Reverse polarity

It has not let me down yet.
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #35

Surge guards are excellent insurance. I've had friends RV's burn up due to faulty campground pole wiring. Campground wouldn't cover any expense.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #36

I bought a Surge Guard 44260 at the beginning of this past camping season. We've had 3 travel trailers and 2 motorhomes. I never gave a whole lot of thought to these devices before reading a lot of posts on this forum talking about these devices being an electronic saver. This Surge Guard is the cheaper type, but did come in handy at 2 campgrounds we stayed at this year. One had an open ground and the other the campground replaced their pedestal breaker.
It worked fine until our last trip of the season a couple weeks ago. We set up and we're just about to leave the campground and we smelled something electrical in our area. When I got around to where the electric was plugged in there was smoke coming from between the surge guard and my 30 ft. cable going to the motorhome. I shut the breaker off and separated the surge guard and cable. One of the prongs was completely melted on both the surge guard and the cable. All the lights were green on the surge guard when I plugged in. Luckily there was an electrical store nearby that I replaced my cable end and we had electric the rest of the weekend. It wasn't the pedestal. I believe it was a defective surge guard. I'm not sure why the breaker wouldn't trip in a situation like that. Also wondering if we didn't catch it would it have caught the motorhome on fire.
I'll add some pictures of what it looks like after the damage. I still have to check when exactly I purchased it from Amazon too before I write the company a letter.
Anyone have an idea why something like that could happen?
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
I bought a Surge Guard 44260 at the beginning of this past camping season. We've had 3 travel trailers and 2 motorhomes. I never gave a whole lot of thought to these devices before reading a lot of posts on this forum talking about these devices being an electronic saver. This Surge Guard is the cheaper type, but did come in handy at 2 campgrounds we stayed at this year. One had an open ground and the other the campground replaced their pedestal breaker.
It worked fine until our last trip of the season a couple weeks ago. We set up and we're just about to leave the campground and we smelled something electrical in our area. When I got around to where the electric was plugged in there was smoke coming from between the surge guard and my 30 ft. cable going to the motorhome. I shut the breaker off and separated the surge guard and cable. One of the prongs was completely melted on both the surge guard and the cable. All the lights were green on the surge guard when I plugged in. Luckily there was an electrical store nearby that I replaced my cable end and we had electric the rest of the weekend. It wasn't the pedestal. I believe it was a defective surge guard. I'm not sure why the breaker wouldn't trip in a situation like that. Also wondering if we didn't catch it would it have caught the motorhome on fire.
I'll add some pictures of what it looks like after the damage. I still have to check when exactly I purchased it from Amazon too before I write the company a letter.
I had a similar issue with my EMS-PT30C. The trailer electrical cord had gotten hot and melted a bit around a prong and messed up the receptacle on the EMS. I sent it in to PI and had a new one with no questions asked in 4 days. PI said they thought the prongs might have been oxidized on the trailer plug and it got too hot.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post

Should have a one year warranty on the unit. Contact TRC.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #39
Site Team

Could be several issues. Most likely a high resistance connection in that area such as:
A corroded blade on your power connector.
A bad connection in the power connector ( wire to blade)
A corroded connection in the surge guard
A bad connection in the surge guard.

Depending on the amount of damage, it may be hard to determine if it was caused by the RV or the SG.

Amazon is great bout honoring warranties so if in the 1 yr covered period you will be fine.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We are looking at a voltage regulator/surge protector. Mainly due to problems hooked up at a relative's home, the MH kept blowing a fuse in their garage. The one we are looking at is over $300. Here and at amazon.
Surge Guard 30 Amp RV Voltage Regulator - $396.88

How necessary is this? And if you used it at a campground, how do you keep it from walking off?
I don't have the regulator, but I can have had times when it would have been nice. I wouldn't say its a requirement, since I have been camping for many years and have never owned one. If I understand it correctly even with this regulator / booster, you will still need a protector such as their Surge Guard or a Progressive unit some have mentioned....quote, "The Surge Guard must be plugged in after or down stream of the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator". The Progressive EMS-PT30C (30 amp) is probably better than the Surge Guard brand, considering the lifetime warranty. I just had my 6 year old unit replaced at no charge... even shipping was free.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage