RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
DanoHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 205
If I get the EMS-PT50C, do i still need a surge protector as well, or does this unit do it all?

Never mind on above question, just read the instructions from their website. this IS all that is needed.

Next question is, do you plug this directly to pedestal, and then to RV cord before or after you switch the breaker on pedestal? I know I should switch pedestal on and check everything, but then do you turn off power prior to plugging in RV cable to the EMS, and then turn back on, or just plug it in after the EMS does all the initial diagnostics, while power is still connected? Just don't want to mess anything up, or FRY myself.
__________________
2017.5 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2905WS (all the options)
New TV- 2017 Ram 3500 SRW Sport 4X4

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #42
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
Next question is, do you plug this directly to pedestal, and then to RV cord before or after you switch the breaker on pedestal? I know I should switch pedestal on and check everything, but then do you turn off power prior to plugging in RV cable to the EMS, and then turn back on, or just plug it in after the EMS does all the initial diagnostics, while power is still connected? Just don't want to mess anything up, or FRY myself.
Plug everything in and then switch on the power. The EMS will hold power until it's safe and will protect you.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
DanoHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Plug everything in and then switch on the power. The EMS will hold power until it's safe and will protect you.
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
__________________
2017.5 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2905WS (all the options)
New TV- 2017 Ram 3500 SRW Sport 4X4

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #44
2017 Forester 3011DS
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We are looking at a voltage regulator/surge protector. Mainly due to problems hooked up at a relative's home, the MH kept blowing a fuse in their garage. The one we are looking at is over $300. Here and at amazon.
Surge Guard 30 Amp RV Voltage Regulator - $396.88

How necessary is this? And if you used it at a campground, how do you keep it from walking off?
We bought one for our Forester on the advice of friends....who have been at this for a few years. You are right they are not cheap but the cost beats the cost of a bad electrical connection frying your coach. I bought a padlock and a bicycle safety cable to connect it to the electrical post at campgrounds. Admittedly this will not stop a determined thief but might just stop the opportunistic ones.
KeriMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 50
Surgeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I describe that in subsequent posts and in the article. As far as I understand, the surge guard doesn't cover as many scenarios as a "surge protector" than a "EMS" does.

We'll each make our decisions. If you're happy with yours, good.
Surge guard has the same protections as all the rest. Progressive advertises their the only one that has all the bells and whistles, but it's just not true.
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
If I get the EMS-PT50C, do i still need a surge protector as well, or does this unit do it all?



Never mind on above question, just read the instructions from their website. this IS all that is needed.



Next question is, do you plug this directly to pedestal, and then to RV cord before or after you switch the breaker on pedestal? I know I should switch pedestal on and check everything, but then do you turn off power prior to plugging in RV cable to the EMS, and then turn back on, or just plug it in after the EMS does all the initial diagnostics, while power is still connected? Just don't want to mess anything up, or FRY myself.



The EMS does surge protection too, however some (myself included) hook up a dedicated surge protector upstream from the EMS... to protect the EMS. The price of a surge protector is a lot less than the EMS.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by xomkid View Post
Surge guard has the same protections as all the rest. Progressive advertises their the only one that has all the bells and whistles, but it's just not true.


The Progressive unit has a pretty good warranty. I don't know about the others.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,037
My Progressive EMS (protected the trailer) got fried back in 2011. Called Progressive and they said to mail it in and they would fix it or replace it free of charge. This was even before they offered a Lifetime warranty. Had it back in 10 days and 200 campgrounds later still works great. Bought it in 2009.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by xomkid View Post
Surge guard has the same protections as all the rest. Progressive advertises their the only one that has all the bells and whistles, but it's just not true.
Surge guard is not an EMS, to say they are the same is NOT correct.
See the chart and tell us again they are the same. Don't forget the MADE IN USA, lifetime warranty with the Progressive EMS.


https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Surge guard is not an EMS, to say they are the same is NOT correct.
See the chart and tell us again they are the same. Don't forget the MADE IN USA, lifetime warranty with the Progressive EMS.


https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm


The particular product the OP listed is more than a surge protector. It does appear to have other EMS qualities.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The particular product the OP listed is more than a surge protector. It does appear to have other EMS qualities.
I know, I was replying to xomkid #45 in post #49.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,037
Surge Guard 50 amp hard wired model 34560 at Camping World

Automatic reset on power restoration
Multi-mode surge suppression
Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present: Open ground, Open neutral, Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage, Miswired pedestal, Reverse polarity
Caution indicator light indicates: Elevated ground voltage, Surge failure indication
128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
3850 Joules of power surge protection
1 year warranty

Sounds like an EMS to me. Not sure why some people think Surge Guard doesn't make an EMS.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Surge Guard 50 amp hard wired model 34560 at Camping World

Automatic reset on power restoration
Multi-mode surge suppression
Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present: Open ground, Open neutral, Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage, Miswired pedestal, Reverse polarity
Caution indicator light indicates: Elevated ground voltage, Surge failure indication
128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
3850 Joules of power surge protection
1 year warranty

Sounds like an EMS to me. Not sure why some people think Surge Guard doesn't make an EMS.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K


Because people confuse the brand name Surge Guard with the basic term "surge". There are any "surge" products that do not do EMS.

Naming a product or company after a basic function is not helpful to said company...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,037
It may not be helpful, but I actually see more Surge Guard products in campgrounds than Progressive. Probably because Camping World stocks them. Happy with my Progressive, but I see no reason to knock the competitor.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
WolfWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,275
I read on this post, about plugging a true surge protector into a true surge protector. Some so called SPs are virtually worthless. This was a no-no when I went to various schools.... one units is quicker and clamps to ground and doesn't need another one in series to possibly defeat the action. And what is the. rationale to do this to protect one with a lifetime warranty? The CW units - Surge Guard have one year warranty and Progressive has lifetime. This seems like a no brainer to me.
__________________
Hyper Lite was sold

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
It may not be helpful, but I actually see more Surge Guard products in campgrounds than Progressive. Probably because Camping World stocks them. Happy with my Progressive, but I see no reason to knock the competitor.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

You won't see my Progressive at the campground because it is hard wired inside. I think you are right--you see more of what CW sells. On the other hand Amazon sells Progressive and most other things for less. :-)


2012 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
__________________
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
voltage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.