Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

surge guard voltage regulator

We are looking at a voltage regulator/surge protector. Mainly due to problems hooked up at a relative's home, the MH kept blowing a fuse in their garage. The one we are looking at is over $300. Here and at amazon.
Surge Guard 30 Amp RV Voltage Regulator - $396.88

How necessary is this? And if you used it at a campground, how do you keep it from walking off?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Always Learning

Not that one, get a Progressive Industries EMS.

http://learntorv.com/what-surge-prot...est-for-my-rv/

Very necessary- mine has protected me multiple times (worn out/miswired pedestal, low voltage, etc).

I personally opted for a hard-wired one to avoid forgetting it and to protect it.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #3

We have a Surge Guard 30 amp. What's wrong it? Is it anything I need to worry about?

K-R.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #4

X2 on the Progressive EMS. Buy it here for $227.50. It is the best you can buy with a lifetime warranty.
Lock it to the pole with a chain.

EMS-PT30C 30 Amp Portable EMS
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #5

X3 on the Progressive EMS. Top of the line and best warranty and service in the business.
Progressive warranty...lifetime. Most all the others...1 year.
24/7 help line if needed.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

X4 on Progressive Industries.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchula-Rrit View Post
We have a Surge Guard 30 amp. What's wrong it? Is it anything I need to worry about?

K-R.

It's not that there's anything *wrong*, it's just that it isn't as full featured as an Electric Monitoring System (EMS). More likely than surges are poorly wired campground receptacles and low voltage scenarios. Low voltage is a bit of a silent killer as it hurts your appliances with motors (think A/C); it's not suddenly, but shortens their lives significantly.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Epen, reread the first post, he said voltage regulator.

There are a few members that have them and love them. They are expensive but I could have used one this summer in Carson City with 105 voltage and couldn't use my Progressive EMS. Didn't run my A/C. The only one I have seen is the Hughes Autoformer, not sure if this Surgeguard is brand new to the market.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Strongly recommend the Progressive Industries. BUT. It will not keep you from blowing a fuse in your relatives garage. Most all home 110V outlets (unless specifically configured) have a max current capacity of 20A ( by code). Most MH are 50A units because they are equipped with devices that require that amount of current. If you are going to operate any RV on a home 20A circuit, you need to be very current aware and limit your total load to under 20A. This is not easy to do in a MH. Also remember that if the relatives garage has a GFCI you will have problems as GFCIs do not like to placed in series and you have at least one in the MH. If you are going to spend much time at this relatives home, suggest you have them install a dedicated 30A ( or better yet 50A) RV outlet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Above and beyond voltage regulators & surge/electrical protection, I suggest the OP look at the integrity of the outlet/circuit used to hook up at the relatives home.

It's quite possible you are simply overloading the rated capacity of whatever outlet/circuit you are plugging into.

A good surge/EMS will cut off power (for protection to the rig) when voltage drops too low and regulators will help maintain a steady voltage but neither will 'fix' the problem of why it keeps blowing the fuse in their garage.

Edit:
Flybob beat me to the punch while typing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Epen, reread the first post, he said voltage regulator.

There are a few members that have them and love them. They are expensive but I could have used one this summer in Carson City with 105 voltage and couldn't use my Progressive EMS. Didn't run my A/C. The only one I have seen is the Hughes Autoformer, not sure if this Surgeguard is brand new to the market.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

lbrjet, you're right- I didn't read the title/link closely enough. Mostly because I didn't realize that Surge Guard had a voltage regulator. Same as you, I only knew of Hughes and (previously) Franks.

So this very well could be a good product. I'd want to verify that it does all of the same pedestal checks that an EMS does. If not, I'd run them both- the voltage regulator closest to the pedestal and then the EMS downstream from that.

I wonder if I can get one to test it out.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchula-Rrit View Post

K-R.

To amend my previous post- if you have a surge protector, you want more and a EMS provides that. If you have a voltage regulator, make sure it protects you from miswired pedestals and the same stuff that a EMS does. Along the voltage regulator might be sufficient OR you may want to have it and an EMS.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Sunseeker 2400MBW

this is what my SIL's looks like
Hughes Autoformers 30 Amp Hughes RV Autoformer

The thing weighs 20lbs! Some if these that others posted look like a plain old surge protector but the voltage regulator is something added. Surge guard and booster. My husband says our TV system has one.

My problem is how to keep it from getting stolen. Bicycles get stolen like crazy around here no matter how well locked but there are also some dedicated heroin users here. I hate to think the nice people at a RV park would have those giant bolt cutters and various saws. I have a serious thug life chain for my bike but it weighs 10lbs. Weight is adding up! Just have to boon dock...

I was just wondering how many people here had them and think they're necessary, collectively y'all know everthing!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #14

surge protection... very important for safety- and more!

$300 is cheap considering the alternative. I installed a Progressive Industries in-line model near my 5th wheels electrical panel... so someone can't simply disconnect and "borrow" one of the exterior models. First time out, it blocked a surge, which could have blown out my microwave, refrigerator or one of the other computer chip controlled appliances. Second time out, it did a safety shut down because the campgrounds power post had an open ground - a serious situation that could result in you being shocked! The campground folks quickly responded and had it repaired. However, if the Progressive Ind. unit had not done a safety shut-down and gave me the error code, a serious campground safety issue could have resulted in someone being seriously hurt. The PI surge protector also provides a readout and constantly is checking the incoming power. It gives a continual reading of the voltage and amperage on both circuits. This is even helpful in deciding where to plug something in (like an electric heater or hair dryer that use a lot of amperage) so that you don't over load one circuit when the other has more available.
Eric_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #15

Surge Protector

We have this one (see link) in our 5th wheel with the optional display and it has been working great. Opted for the display which we mounted inside by our thermostat.
We went with the hard wired because of the theft issue and were glad we did although it was a little more work to install.
Surge Guard 30A Hardwire with Optional LCD Display | Technology Research, LLC
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

I have a surge guard 50amp, works great. This sounds like a "I have a friend that had problems"
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #17

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not that one, get a Progressive Industries EMS.

What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV

Very necessary- mine has protected me multiple times (worn out/miswired pedestal, low voltage, etc).

I personally opted for a hard-wired one to avoid forgetting it and to protect it.
And what is your problem with Surge Guard?
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #18

surge guard voltage regulator

Can't comment on the Surge Guard or Autoformer as I have neither. I plan to purchase an Autoformer before next season though.

One thing to keep in mind... under GACP (generally accepted camping principles -- yes, I just made that up. The accountants will get a kick out of it), it is recommended to use a surge protector as the first device on the pedestal. This usually means a surge-only device due to cost. Its purpose is to protect the other more expensive devices. So... it usually goes like this:
Pedestal=>Surge Protector=>Voltage Regulator (transformer)=>EMS=>Camper

Putting a surge-only device minimizes cost it it gets zapped. If you have your high-dollar combo unit (surge + transformer or surge + EMS) you risk frying that expensive device.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomkid View Post
And what is your problem with Surge Guard?

I describe that in subsequent posts and in the article. As far as I understand, the surge guard doesn't cover as many scenarios as a "surge protector" than a "EMS" does.

We'll each make our decisions. If you're happy with yours, good.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #20

So I have my new TT on order. I ordered with the dual ACs, so it is a 50amp. Is this something I will need as well? It sounds like end is the way to go vs a surge protector. I am wanting the plug in type, but how do you keep it from being stolen when away from the rig at campgrounds?

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage