Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #21

Unfortunately, at least in my state, its very easy to steal trailers. You can re-register any trailer as a "homebuilt" trailer. In fact, I had to do this with both my first pop-up camper and my boat trailer. Neither had titles when I bought them. You take them and get them weighed, then take the weigh ticket to the BMV and they will make you a new registration. Don't even have to get a title for it, you just need a registration.

My mom's boyfriend had a 20' trailer stolen from where he bought wood, they would load the trailers as they had wood, then call when its ready. He showed up to get his trailer and it was gone.

The best thing you can do is make yourself less of a target. If it takes 5 minutes to steal your trailer and 2 minutes to steal your neighbors, they'll take the other one. I add a ball lock, put the stabilizers down, and run a chain through the wheel rims.

At home I have a zoneminder IP Camera system setup, and one of my cameras is aimed at my backyard and records any motion. This includes any cars driving down my side street, etc. Its a 1080P camera and captures enough detail to make out license plates.

lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
When I sold my Grey Wolf and bought this 5th wheel, the guy who bought my Grey Wolf was in the market because his got stolen. It was parked at his uncles used car lot right off the freeway. Someone just came and drove off with it.

SO........what does a thief do after he steals an RV?????? Serious question, I have wondered. What market is there for one without title, so no license?? To use? Or to sell? Or what??

Yes, a ton of used ones get sold for deer camps, etc.......but they are usually old and cheap. Selling a 100K MH??? Not sure who would buy.
You re-register it as a home built trailer. In my state (Ohio) all you have to do is take it and get it weighed, take the weigh ticket to the BMV, and get a registration. Thats all there is to it. I've done it both for my first popup camper because the VIN was long rusted off the frame, and my boat trailer because it didn't have a title.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
SO........what does a thief do after he steals an RV?????? Serious question, I have wondered. What market is there for one without title, so no license?? To use? Or to sell? Or what??
Around here a lot of stolen RV's end up as a mobile meth lab... You don't want it back if it is found.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Around here a lot of stolen RV's end up as a mobile meth lab... You don't want it back if it is found.
Thats why its really important to have this bumper sticker

https://www.amazon.com/This-Portable.../dp/B00F49OZQ2