Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Tinting windows?

Hello. Has anyone tinted there front side windows? All my other windows are factory tinted. I had read years ago that you shouldn’t tint thermal pane windows because the heat radiated back out can raise the pressure in between the 2 lanes and break the seal! All my cars have tinted windows and i’de like the TV to also. Just don’t want to risk an expensive glass replacement.

Thanks!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

Try this:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-186546.html
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks Wolfpaq. But I didn’t see anything in their regarding tinting thermal pane windows and the potential issue I mentioned.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
llr

I have not heard of thermal pain issues. One option would be to apply the tint to the outside, not sure how long it will hold up but I suspect it would not be to hard to remove if needed
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #5

We bought our 2016 FR3 used and the fronts were tinted. I'm in the process of redoing them since I didn't like the quality of the job but they don't have any issues and they have been tinted for a while now.
wp1130_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

Good to know everyone. I did verify from thermal pane manuf that they are not supposed to be tinted. However they also said they haven’t had anyone complaints of failures. It may be a CYA note so they have themselves covered. I may do it since the MH will be stored indoors.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Good to know everyone. I did verify from thermal pane manuf that they are not supposed to be tinted. However they also said they haven’t had anyone complaints of failures. It may be a CYA note so they have themselves covered. I may do it since the MH will be stored indoors.
The tint will have minimal effect. There are tons of residential windows out there with a low-e metallic coating on the inside of the interior lite reflecting outward with no problems. The RV window manufacturer should be more concerned about a sealed IG unit traveling from sea level to 11,000 feet. They do nothing to compensate for that.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Yes I keep ours stored in our shop as well so no all day sun beating on the glass but there were previous owners so not sure how they kept it? A lot of people do it though. I'm up in Wisconsin and our climate isn't that harsh.
wp1130_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window