RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
My old boss got tired of replacing transmissions even towing a small car so he rented a car when he needed one from Enterprise and they would deliver it to his campground. He said gas mileage was better, lower tolls and less to deal with. Just a thought.
Replacing transmissions in the car, or in the motorhome?

If you mean the motorhome transmission, and the vehicle combination was under the GCWR, I’d suggest getting a different motorhome chassis/model before giving up towing altogether. This is not a problem I’ve heard of.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #22

We first started with Toads when we bought a truck camper 6 years ago.
I already had all the parts because after Dad departed I sold his MH but kept the Toad gear.
I tow a Jeep Liberty, or a 7x14 trailer with motorcycle in it. I also have a smaller 5x8 trailer I can put a bike in. (currently a Motoguzzi V7). I have been thinking of selling one of my other SUV's (non towable) for a Honda Fit with Manual trans.

but most times something is behind us when we are on road.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #23
DaLexusGuy

No Toad for us. but...

We have a 30' Class C. The DW is worried about being "too long" when towing. But then again, she worries about EVERYTHING.

Just to keep her quiet (yes, that is the nicest way I could think of to say that), we use Enterprise.

I noodled out that we can rent a car nearly 400 days for the price of a newer Ford Focus toad, plus towing equipment, plus the extra insurance payment and car maintenance (I only get 5 weeks of vacation a year, so 400 days of camping is 16 years to us).

BUT, using Enterprise really does limit our camping location quite a bit because every camping spot you choose has to be within 10 miles of the car rental office. Because of these limitations, I spend countless extra hours planning our camping to make it all work.

Yes, it's a hassle, but I do it cause...well, that's just the kind of guy I am
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #24

We had a 22' Class C for 13 years and always towed a boat. DW used it for grocery shopping. The last Class C was 27' on an E450 cutaway. Then, we found out how convenient a toad was.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post

I noodled out that we can rent a car nearly 400 days for the price of a newer Ford Focus toad, plus towing equipment, plus the extra insurance payment and car maintenance (I only get 5 weeks of vacation a year, so 400 days of camping is 16 years to us).

This is a good way to look at it.

I tow my Jeep because I can take it on sand at OBX, but for other trips this formula could make sense.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #26

Here is the solution
Old 02-22-2020, 12:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
We have a 30' Class C. The DW is worried about being "too long" when towing. But then again, she worries about EVERYTHING.

Just to keep her quiet (yes, that is the nicest way I could think of to say that), we use Enterprise.

BUT, using Enterprise really does limit our camping location quite a bit because every camping spot you choose has to be within 10 miles of the car rental office. Because of these limitations, I spend countless extra hours planning our camping to make it all work.

Yes, it's a hassle, but I do it cause...well, that's just the kind of guy I am
Why do you have to be 10 miles of the office? Is it so they can drop the car off to you at the campground?
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #28

TO TOAD or NOT TO TOAD

We bought our Berkshire used 1st trip from Va to NH, family wedding with paper plates so new to us. We rented that time. Winter came we bought an older Toyota conv. Planning on a dolly. Hubby switched gears. A young lady got the red conv for her 16 th bday. The Jeep search was on, we decided going new was cheaper then some used we found. Weve towed quite a lot since. Short trips I drive separate if its just a few hours. Buffy and Rita
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	223787  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #29

Smile

Hello: We are newbies to our first motorhome a 2019 27qb Freelander. I have been dwelling over the use of a toad ever since we picked up our new home last fall. Our break end trip was the Smoky Mountains. We drove thru cades cove and up to clingmans dome. I never had any trouble getting around, even in downtown Gatlinburg. In all fairness since I worked in the utility business my entire life. Driving a 27 ft motor home was like being in a van. If I planned my parking it was a breeze. Nothing like hauling a 40 ft trailer behind a line truck. Right now I enjoy not having the extra headache of more tires on the ground. As far as hookups at the sites to me seems easier then unhooking a toad. If I need a car Ill just have one dropped off. We never do a full hook up at any sites anyway. I just hook up the electric and run off our water and holding tank. We can last quite a while before our tanks are full.
Ericandbobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #30
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Why do you have to be 10 miles of the office? Is it so they can drop the car off to you at the campground?
You can rent from Enterprise from any distance, but yes, if you want them to deliver it to your location you need to be within 10 miles.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and might rarely get pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad