Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Toad advice--Chevy Tracker

Hi everybody--

I have a new Forester 2251 Chevy based RV, 24' long. I just bought a 2001 Chevy Tracker 4WD Automatic to flat tow. It has been towed previously, but the dealer didn't know anything about the system used, etc. It has 2 11/4' receivers bolted to the frame on either side by the front grill, just at the bumper level. In addition, it has a cable on the brake pedal and under the front seat is what appears to be a braking device, a shock absorber looking device with both a cable and an electrical connection. On the front by the grill there are: a 6 pin connector, and a small electrical box with wiring. I believe the small electrical box (which has a plastic hook on the end) may be for the breakaway safety system. Not sure about the 6 pin connector, my RV has a 7 pin connector.

My questions are: does anybody have an idea what type of tow bar would fit this? Do I have a braking system? There are a couple of lights on either side below the rear bumper, they may be turn/brake/running lights.

Thx for the help.

Rich Guess
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
Hi everybody--

I have a new Forester 2251 Chevy based RV, 24' long. I just bought a 2001 Chevy Tracker 4WD Automatic to flat tow. It has been towed previously, but the dealer didn't know anything about the system used, etc. It has 2 11/4' receivers bolted to the frame on either side by the front grill, just at the bumper level. In addition, it has a cable on the brake pedal and under the front seat is what appears to be a braking device, a shock absorber looking device with both a cable and an electrical connection. On the front by the grill there are: a 6 pin connector, and a small electrical box with wiring. I believe the small electrical box (which has a plastic hook on the end) may be for the breakaway safety system. Not sure about the 6 pin connector, my RV has a 7 pin connector.

My questions are: does anybody have an idea what type of tow bar would fit this? Do I have a braking system? There are a couple of lights on either side below the rear bumper, they may be turn/brake/running lights.

Thx for the help.

Rich Guess

Try to post a picture of it .
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

I pick it up Wednesday, I will photograph it and post it then.

Thx Rich
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

pics of tow and brake installation

Here's what I took. There are two 1 1/4" receivers, a 6 pin male electrical hookup, a small electrical box that I presume to be a safety brake, and a Woodward solenoid under the front seat that attached by cable to the brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	168102   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	168103   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	168104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	168105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	168106  

Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

pics of tow and brake installation

Here's what I took. There are two 1 1/4" receivers, a 6 pin male electrical hookup, a small electrical box that I presume to be a safety brake, and a Woodward solenoid under the front seat that attached by cable to the brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	168107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	168108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	168109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	168110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	168111  

Old 04-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

You only have a 6 pin plug because there is no battery charge line. Japanese cars as with european cars often use a different wiring system for tail lights. Thus you usually need a adapter/converter box so the lights work with your American system. The solenoid, without looking myself appears to be some sort of brake system. To prove it, I guess you could energize the solenoid and try moving the vehicle.
As for the receivers up front, it looks like a draw bar mount for towing it.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Tracker tow bar and brake

Any idea how to energize the solenoid? Is the 6 pin just for the lights? I can get a 7 pin to six pin converter cable no problem.

I'm trying to find the right parts to go into the base plate slots for a tow bar.

Thx
Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

That's a Roadmaster (Stowmaster) base plate (receiver).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

To me it looks like an emergency break-away system. The little box in front looks like the one I have on my car trailer. Connect a cable to the box and the rear of the motorhome. In case of a breakaway the cable pulls out a blocking pin which allows the battery to activate the solenoid pulling the brake pedal down and holding it until the pin is reinserted. Can't see exactly but that's my guess. The solenoid may also partially work with a brake controller to activate with the brake lights based on how high the controller is set.

As for the lights there may be diodes in the car already. That's what I have on my Jeep. To check remove the tail light covers or assemblies and look at the wiring. When driving the Jeep it has yellow turn signals but when being towed its brake lights do both turn signal and brake duties. I use the 6-pin connector like yours. My electrical cable has a 7 pin motorhome end and a 6 pin Jeep end.

Regarding that box please be aware that water will get in there and allow partial current to flow. It ran the battery down in an Airstream trailer we owned years ago and took days to troubleshoot. I turned mine around and ran the cable over a round bar nearby so the pin pulled out toward the rear.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #10

According to a Google search the Woodward 2370S is a fuel shutoff solenoid which means it is an on or off solenoid and not variable. So I think you have an emergency breakaway only.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

Tracker tow bar and brake

Thx for the info. It is/was unclear to me if the solenoid is just for the breakaway system or if also is used for a supplemental system. Probably the former, as I see no way of activating it otherwise or connecting it.

I probably will need to add a supplemental system in addition to the tow bar ($$$). I'll get the 7 to 6 pin cable and see what is what with my lights.

Rich

Tags
toad