RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Tough Choice

Hello everyone … I just joined the forum today but have been reading the posts for the last several weeks. I am recently retired and the wife will be retiring soon and we are interested in touring our country in a motorhome. We have been looking at many different types and models and have narrowed our choices to two. I like the one better and the wife likes the other better but we would both be happy with the others choice. Each coach is marked down to be cleared out as last years model. Each is at a separate dealer near us.

Here’s the question … is there any real difference that I don’t notice between the two other than floorplan and roof? Is there any preference between the two? It seemed to me that the cabinet paneling is a bit thicker in the Sunseeker.

Sunseeker 3010DS
Leprechaun 317SA
NHGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGuy View Post
Hello everyone … I just joined the forum today but have been reading the posts for the last several weeks. I am recently retired and the wife will be retiring soon and we are interested in touring our country in a motorhome. We have been looking at many different types and models and have narrowed our choices to two. I like the one better and the wife likes the other better but we would both be happy with the others choice. Each coach is marked down to be cleared out as last years model. Each is at a separate dealer near us.

Here’s the question … is there any real difference that I don’t notice between the two other than floorplan and roof? Is there any preference between the two? It seemed to me that the cabinet paneling is a bit thicker in the Sunseeker.

Sunseeker 3010DS
Leprechaun 317SA
Hi there. Just one question. Since I am not intimately familiar with the Leprechaun, do you recall if the sewage connection pipe is located inside a compartment or external and visibly hanging down behind the rear wheel? Sounds like a stupid question, but these class c's are quite low and it is easy to scrape the pipe on the ground when entering/leaving parking and fuel stations. Also debris in the highway could easily be kicked up from the tire to that pipe (if exposed) and cause havoc. I've experienced the wrath! The Sunseeker has the pipe protected in a compartment.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Happy wife, happy life!

Seriously, I'd base the majority of the decision on the dealership. Get to know both dealers, talk to the service department, get peoples opinion, and make your decision on which you think will be the best.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

I chose a Leprechaun because it uses Azdel. In addition, I work with wood including making cabinets. I can tell you that the ones in Leprechaun are pretty good. Don't know about Sunseeker.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #6

FLOORPLANS: 2 pretty different floor plans so make sure your wife is happy with the bathroom & kitchen. My wife is always running out of kitchen counter space, so she would not like the floorplan of the Leprechaun. Comfy recliners are a good thing...

However, if the Leprechaun you are looking at has the large outdoor kitchen, you could do a lot of cooking outdoors. Personally, I would not buy an RV without an outdoor kitchen since that's where I like to cook... We like to use 2 electric skillets both inside & out to make breakfast & crockpots/ Instapots to make dinners. My wife uses the gas burners a lot, but not the oven.

QUALITY: Sometimes left-overs from last year are the ones more experienced RV buyers passed for various reasons, especially if they have been on the lot a long time - so look at the build date on each unit. Then take at least an hour to look behind every cubby, etc. for build quality issues. I took flash pictures where I couldn't get to...

PDI: DON'T leave the lot until the dealer has provided a 2+ hour PDI where they show that everything works on electric, propane, and 12 battery power. There are checklists elsewhere on this forum that you can use to make certain everything is covered... Make sure they adjust the slide & awning tracking, even on new units. If you are not happy, DO NOT LEAVE - make them fix anything you are not happy with BEFORE YOU LEAVE... They will fix it on the spot if you are not happy. If you leave & come back for warranty work, you will probably have to wait until off-season when they are not selling as many units...

Camping friends bought a FR Class-C & had major issues that should have been fixed before they left the lot... They wanted to get home, so they left without having everything fixed. Took the dealer a year to get everything done, but all is good now...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sit in both units and imagine your use. Think about where you will put your clothes, dishes, toiletries, cleaning supplies,folding chairs, tools, etc. Sit on a chair, sofa etc and have the other move about the coach getting into the fridge, bathroom, cooking. Sit on the toilet, stand in the shower. Make sure these are comfortable for you. See which fits you better for these purposes. A big thing for us was accessibility of bathroom, fridge and pantry with the slides in. Hope that helps.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #8

You brought up a good point Ford1. The exposed pipe is something I recall seeing on many units during our search but never gave much thought about other than possible cold weather issues.

BamaRambler .. I have given thought to which dealer would work best for us and I felt that both were very helpful and had good service departments.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #9

The Azdel is one reason I am leaning toward the Leprechaun but the counter space in the Sunseeker is what caught the wifes eye.

Thanks for the input,
Old 07-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

The Sunseeker does have Azdel panels. Look at page 3 of the brochure http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...erbrochure.pdf

Personally I prefer the fiberglass roof but I am sure either will work out for you. I had a Terry TT where after 10 years the rubber roof started pulling away from the seams. One other thing to consider, the Sunseeker uses a Progressive Dynamics converter which is made in the U.S. and much better than the Chinese WFCO.

What brand of water heater? Sunseeker uses Atwood and there is no anode rod to deal with.

Televisions on the Sunseeker are 12 volt. You can watch them without shore or generator power.

Quote:
The Azdel is one reason I am leaning toward the Leprechaun but the counter space in the Sunseeker is what caught the wifes eye.

Thanks for the input,
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks for the input,
We bought the Sunseeker 3050s. Counter space is big. The bathroom and shower is too. We wanted a full bath at first but after pretending to shower and dry off we chose the seperate vanity with the slide door because when you go to dry off and dress there's a whole lot of room vs a full bath. It's also nice to have the walk around queen size bed too.

Another thought concerning you'll be camping throughoit the country. The long miles will put a lot of stress on the chassis so what chassis you choose is probably the most important decision of all. Another thing to consider is RV length because many NPs have very few sites to accommodate over 30 - 35 feet if at all. So the shorter you are the easier to find campsites.

I'll be up in NH within the next few weeks. Love Jigger Johnson on the Kanc! Hope you enjoy whatever RV you end up choosing.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:

Sunseeker 3010DS
Leprechaun 317SA
In looking at the Leprechaun on the website, it seems that the 317SA is no longer listed so it is difficult to compare. A friend and I traveled to look at what is listed as the 319FS. He traded on the spot, while I ordered a new Sunseeker 3010DS.

We subsequently traveled to the Goshen rally on to Nova Scotia and return. I had one issue with a leak during the trip. He had no problems. He had the same chassis, except the Leprechaun was limited to 5,000 lbs towing while the Sunseeker is rated for 7,500 lbs. That was one factor in my choice. Sunseeker uses a fiberglass roof, rather than the rubber roof used by the Leprechaun, so that was another factor. I ordered ours with recliners, which we love, and that was another factor. As someone noted earlier, both use Adzel in the sidewalls, so they are even on that. We bought from the same dealer, but that is important, as someone earlier pointed out. Another factor in my decision was the construction of the under-chassis storage bins. I much preferred the rotocast (?) bins of the Sunseeker with their individual drains, rather than the metal used by the Leprechaun.

I did prefer the Leprechaun's slides being on one side, rather than the 3010's slides being on both sides. It does require studying your being more careful when backing into a campsite, because of the wider width.

My friend only kept his for about six months before trading it in on a new Berkshire 39A, so I can't really speak about long-term problems with his Leprechaun. He did run into warranty issue problems however. Coachman is part of Forest River and so it was treated very differently at the Goshen rally as far as warranty work. While FR personnel were quick to fix my small problems, Coachman looked at his roof and other problems and referred him to a dealer about 90 miles from his home. This proved to be a disaster for him, both time-wise and money-wise, which prompted his decision to trade. Had he taken it back to his selling dealer, things might well have worked out differently.

My previous class C was a Coachmen Freelander and we drove it to Alaska and back with no problems. I did find that the structure was a little weaker, with noticeable stretch marks in the ceiling fabric where it came into contact with the walls and cabinets. We did suffer from some delamination caused by a leaking toilet water valve. I consider the ADZEL a major improvement used by both Sunseeker and Coachmen.

I think both are fine products and I wish you well with your choice. I would again stress the dealer factor. I have been happy with my dealer and my friend clearly had problems with another dealer. I witnessed their repair work which was terrible, to put it simply.

We both had bigfoot levelers and found them to be money-well spent. I can tell you how great their after purchase support is. A call to them any time gets you a technician that will work you through any problem.

A final word of advice that you will see time after time: insist on a thorough PDI and don't sign until everything is fixed. Ignore this and you will end up being frustrated and unhappy 99% of the time, because it will end up being back in for repair at a time you want to be enjoying your new motor home.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Sit in both units and imagine your use. Think about where you will put your clothes, dishes, toiletries, cleaning supplies,folding chairs, tools, etc. Sit on a chair, sofa etc and have the other move about the coach getting into the fridge, bathroom, cooking. Sit on the toilet, stand in the shower. Make sure these are comfortable for you. See which fits you better for these purposes. A big thing for us was accessibility of bathroom, fridge and pantry with the slides in. Hope that helps.
We have had our 3010DS for over a year....if there is one thing I could change, it would be the bathroom. It needs to be a little bigger! I'm 6'2" and 225, the DW is 5'3" and... well, she's no skinny model. Even she says the bathroom needs to be bigger.
Other than that, I would be perfectly content with what I have. Plenty of storage, room inside, etc.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

I do believe the right dealer is very important. I am a friend of the GM of the dealer I buy from and always get good service, plus is 13 miles from my house.

A correction on the comment that Leps have 5,000 towing cap, this is not right. They like many others have 7,500 # towing cap.

I wonder if the 317SA model has been renamed to 319MB. Look at this link.

Leprechaun Class C Motorhomes by Coachmen RV
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #15

Thanks for the correction on the towing capacity as I was relating my experience to the 2016 model differences and purchasing decision on my part. I visited the dealer with the intent to purchase the Leprechaun but my friend did it instead. It didn't have FBP and I pretty much had decided I wanted that instead of the normal gel coat color.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I also suggest you sit in it with the slides closed.

Can you get to important stuff (fridge, bathroom, etc) while going down the highway?
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #17

Thanks for all the reply's! The 317SA has been discontinued for the 2018 model year and replaced with the 311FS. At least that is what I was told by the dealer. I’m thinking the wife might win this decision and the Sunseeker 3010DS has taken an early lead.

Lots of good information provided. Thanks again everyone.