Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Towing motorcycle trailer with Sunseeker / Forester TS

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of motorhomes and RVs. My wife and I are looking to do a 6 month journey and are considering purchasing a new Forest River Sunseeker / Forest TS series (probably the 2380 / 2381 layout) as it seems to fit our needs the best. This is the model based on the Ford Transit chassis, with either a V6 gas or I5 diesel engine.

I really want to bring my Suzuki Vstrom motorcycle along, but noticed the TS doesn't come with a hitch. I asked the salesman at our local dealer if one was available and he indicated it is, with a towing limit of 2,000lbs. My motorcycle and Kendon trailer combined are less than 800lbs, I have towed this setup with my small 4 cylinder hatchback with no issues. Salesman said it would be fine but I never really like to take the word of salespeople

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience towing a small trailer with the TS series or can confirm that the hitch is in fact available? Thanks.
plutoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of motorhomes and RVs. My wife and I are looking to do a 6 month journey and are considering purchasing a new Forest River Sunseeker / Forest TS series (probably the 2380 / 2381 layout) as it seems to fit our needs the best. This is the model based on the Ford Transit chassis, with either a V6 gas or I5 diesel engine.

I really want to bring my Suzuki Vstrom motorcycle along, but noticed the TS doesn't come with a hitch. I asked the salesman at our local dealer if one was available and he indicated it is, with a towing limit of 2,000lbs. My motorcycle and Kendon trailer combined are less than 800lbs, I have towed this setup with my small 4 cylinder hatchback with no issues. Salesman said it would be fine but I never really like to take the word of salespeople

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience towing a small trailer with the TS series or can confirm that the hitch is in fact available? Thanks.
I would ask Forest River why these models don't come with a trailer hitch/tow package.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
I would ask Forest River why these models don't come with a trailer hitch/tow package.
Good point. We ended up putting down a deposit on a 2017 Coachmen Freelander 20CB instead, it comes with the hitch and 2000lbs tow rating. Same chassis. We decided we liked the extra sleeping spaces and lounge layout more than the Sunseeker / Forester TS as well.
plutoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post

FYI we towed my dresser on a dual rail kendon on 4k Mike trip down east coast with 23d Winnebago trend (6 cylinder promaster gas). Absolutely towed fine (surprised me). I figured combined weight was about 1300 and jendon is made to have a 10% tongue weight. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180316-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	193792
JimSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSt View Post
FYI we towed my dresser on a dual rail kendon on 4k Mike trip down east coast with 23d Winnebago trend (6 cylinder promaster gas). Absolutely towed fine (surprised me). I figured combined weight was about 1300 and jendon is made to have a 10% tongue weight. Attachment 193792
Do you have a duelly rear axle ?
nolanfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #6

No, single rear tires
JimSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

I realize this is an old thread, but the OP did good in going with the Coachmen that already has the hitch installed, so as to remove any doubts and headaches. We also passed on considering the Sunseeker or Forester TS because of the lack of a standard or optional factory hitch.

The TS hitch issue was discussed recently and karykatz from Forest River said a hitch could easily be installed, but when I asked for more details on the Transit hitch subject, I received no reply. As one would expect, salespersons will say a hitch can easily be installed on the TS, but posts from actual owners suggests it is not that easy. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-212342.html

One owner got an email reply from Forest River saying the Transit “was not rated for towing”. See post quoted below.

“When I send an email to Forest River they gave me this answer.

Thank you for contacting Forest River, Inc. Here is the GCWR 13500 pound for your coach. Please keep in mind, we do not put a trailer hitch on the transit because it is not rated for towing. “

Tags
forester, motorcycle, sunseeker, towing, trailer