Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #21

Your 2017 TT that is a 7 month old trade-in is really going to hurt the wallet at most dealerships. What you may try is to deal with the same dealer. Explain what you have done here and he may surprise you. The dealer may have an A or C he wants to get off the lot that would suit you. We purchased a used boat several years ago that just did not work out. We returned to that dealer and looked for a new one. The dealer gave us full price trade-in. We were pretty pleased. Otherwise, I would suggest doing a FSBO on criagslist.org, then buy w/o a trade. You may also find a really nice used RV.

As for camping, I started in the early 60's mostly dry camping while hunting out west. The first was a 21' bumper pull TT. Then to a HD 4x4 with a slide-in. That was out honeymoon camper. We ventured several times to remote areas of Canada-very remote.

We have gone to other slide-ins, Class As and Class Cs, but never another TT. The latest was a Class C. Camping does grow on you. The reason we have settled on motorized RVs is that we usually tow a boat and more recently a toad. The Class A has more space up front for camping comfort. It is also a little less crowded in the cab area when driving. The Class C has the cab doors for convenience, but unless the motor is ahead of the windshield, it's a little crowded. The Class Cs have one real detractor. When you open a cab door in the rain, the interior door panels are sure to get wet and the person exiting /entering will get wet from roof run-off. The As and Cs have about the same bulk, but DW prefers driving the C because the cab is closer to the ground and you don't have that bulky feeling. She was, however, comfortable driving the Winnebago Brave that was an A. So it is all in perception. I don't believe either of us would rule out another Class A.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #22

Always pros/cons.. we have had the Pop-Up, 2 Travel Trailers, and now on 2nd motor home (Stuck to the smaller Sprinter model so can more easily afford the long trips fuel cost.). If go the motor home need to have a toad.. we tried without but missed a few things because of it. I agree with another.. use what you have for a good year or 2.. then move on if desired. Also recommend attend the BIG camper shows like the one coming up at Hersey Pa; they have it all to view and talk to manf folks. Few good seminars.. we attend almost every year and while there love the Amish country not far away
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #23

We started out with 2 different TT in 4 years. We moved to a 2009 Georgetown Class A last year. It is a lot easier for set up and take down. I think it is more comfortable to travel with 2 kids and a dog. We can go into a restaurant while traveling and leave the dog in the rv with the generator and air running. I always had to sit in the truck with the dog when we had a TT. We pull my jeep wrangler , which is very easy to hook up. Our main reason for switching was my husband drag races motorcycles and pulls his enclosed trailer behind the motor home and camps at the track.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #24

We went to the annual RV show in our state every year for about 15 years dreaming about getting something someday and then finally purchased a 32 foot class C motorhome when we retired about 3 years ago and love it. Have been on an 8,000 mile trip to Alaska and several places around the lower 48 states.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #25

We started with a 25' Class C motorhome and after 5 years, traded for another C, this time 29.5". We travel about 4 months out of the year and so far, we don't tow. The few times we "need" a car (such as a side trip to Hoover Dam), we've just rented a car from Enterprise. They come get us and bring us back when we return the car. Very easy and we don't have to mess with towing.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #26

Had tent camped years ago with kids. Bought a 28foot toy hauler trailer for 3 years. Upgraded to a 30ft Class C after that, with toad. Going on 5 years with our Class C. Love the walk around bed and ease of setup. Would like a larger stationary trailer for our snowbird stays (likely one day) and a Class B for cross country and park travel (not very likely) And I personally would like my own little Glamper. The stable is never full enough, but the pocketbook is just too lean! Anyway, I would wait a couple years to make sure what you want, like and don't like. The options are endless.
skreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #27

We started with a Micro-Mini 21ft Toyota Class C - Loved it. Made it all the way to the Arctic Ocean and back.

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

We then went to a small simple 30ft Class A. No slide - Interior layout was almost identical to the Toyota, except a lot more room...

2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB – 2001 Ford F53 6.8L V10

And this spring, upgraded to a larger Class A with a Slide.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood

Old 08-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #28

They both really have their benefits ! Just try to purchase the last one first...lol !

We like a lot of others have had tents, PUs, TTs, and now our class C !

So far, by far the best is our C ! Just so nice for the wife to move around while we travel if she needs to. Rest areas, gas stops, or even just a parking lot to pull over for lunch. Wash your hands, turn on the TV, eat, check the map all without leaving the AC or warmth of the RV.

I would suggest you don't do anything while you have "RV fever". Let that pass,and think about what really is best for you. Do you have parking for a A class ?

Best of luck.......hope you find what is best for your wants / needs !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:37 AM   #29
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Although we would never have a Motorhome, the only big negative I can see, is the financial hit you're going to take.

Then there's needing a toad and that you'll have to go no bigger than 30' if you want to camp in national and state park campgrounds.
We haven't needed a toad yet. Also have discovered that not all state/national parks are created equal. Many in NC can accommodate 45' rigs with no problems.

Everyone has different/needs and wants. And they may/will change as time goes on. FWIW we did not take a hit when we traded in our Coleman 16FB on a Concord 310DS, they wanted to move the Concord and they needed small trailers. The one we traded in was gone two days after we traded it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrincross View Post
I have purchased our first travel trailer earlier in the year. My wife and I love the weekend camping. We love it so much we are wanting to get a class A motorhome and spend more time hitting the state parks and national parks. The question I want to ask is how long from when you first got onto camping did you get a motorhome like a class A or C? We have only been at this about 7 months and have caught the camping bug bad.
Biggest drawback to a MH with out a TOAD,,, is once you get set up,,, you are pretty much there to stay !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #31

In 40 years DH and I have been up and down the scale. Tent to TT to cottage to tent trailer to MH to diesel truck and 5th wheel to MH. Our needs and wants changed over the years. We are totally pleased with our 28' three slide MH. We are campers more than travellers and although having all the equipment for a toad have never felt we needed one. We rented a car once in a while when we wintered in Florida but find it really quick and easy to pull in the awning, unplug and take off for sightseeing or shopping. Return, awning back out and plug in when we return. Our beautiful Provincial Parks tend to not be big rig friendly and that is where we spend 90% of our camping time. Best of luck and happy camping.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #32

Everyone has their opinion....for us, we would never consider going back to a tow behind...just too darn much trouble setting up and tearing down...CSMRetired convinced us of that 2 BamaGanza's ago.

When CSMRetired arrived I hopped into the co-pilot's seat of his Coachman Sportscoach Cross Country and guided him to his site - and, at the time as a 5th wheel owner, a site that I would not have wished on my worst enemy: two BIG trees - one on each side to back in to.

I quickly found out that, with a Motorhome, this is a snap with the multiple cameras (Left, right & rear), CSMRetired stuck his 40' long Coach between the trees in about 3 min, hit the autolevelers (he calls it the 'camp' button ) and told me to get a couple of beers for us from his residential refrigerator.

Before BamaGanza last year, we had sold the 5th wheel and truck and bought our Berkshire! Love it and never looking back!

BTW, there are a LOT of National, State, and Local parks that are 'Big Rig' Friendly....speaking of which just how long do you think a, say, Riverstone + 3500 8' bed Dually is? Longer than us even with our TOAD hooked up!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #33

We are very happy with our little Sunseeker 2500TS,,,
unless we run out of Cold Beer & Ice !!! LOL !!!

It is a lot less work than our old TT !!!
But when we owned property up North in the Forest,,, we had to have a way to get out from time to time,,, we often went there for 10 days !!!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #34

years ago we started with a tent, then went to a camper van, then to a pop-up, then to a nice travel trailer. We had our TT for a few years, but, one day it just hit us and we knew it was time to go for the full motorhome. We liked the class C because they are designed more for families, but, we liked the class A too. Once we saw the ACE (C class/A class hybrid), we knew we needed one like that. Right before we pulled the trigger, we saw the Forest River FR3, and loved it. We purchased ours in December 2014 and cannot be happier. We love to camp, so we would still be happy in a tent, but, we feel at this time in our life we want to be a little more comfortable when we camp. With all of that said, my recommendation is think what an A Class offers you for the long term and make your decision based on that. We are very happy that we made the leap.
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #35

Honestly, you have to make the moves that fit you best, money maynot really be an issue to the op so loss on a trade might not be a big deal. I would put the tt in craigs list and see if it sells before i trade, you may be one of those couples that pull in to your site and stay put the whole trip, but if not you will need topull a car behind you, which there again may not be a big deal.

I always say it's not the money it's the time, your not going to run out of money, but you WILL run out of time, get the rig you want and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #36

Our first 2 RV where MH's,our big mistake was the second one which was an Allegro. No complaints about the MH but it was the way we didn't use it. We lived in the Florida Keys and had a big boat we used a lot, so the MH sat idle for months at a time, not good.If you buy a MH you should use it regularly, sitting idle for long periods, esspeially in thesouthern climates is not good. 2017 Palomino Puma 31RLQS
2015 2500HD chevy Silverado
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #37

We all know how some people are,,, they are never happy with anything !!!
Always must have the latest thing out there !!!

Guess that is what makes the world go around !!!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #38

Thanks to all you guys that have replied. you all have given us some things to think about. we are in our early 60's and have one more child at home and then there are our grandkids. the comment that spoke about "you can run out of time" is what I am thinking about. we searched for 2 years before we bought our TT. getting all the right features, size, and weight. The TT is perfect for us but what I didn't figure into the equation was the hooking and unhooking. the equipment to safely pull the TT is not a quick "just drop onto the ball of the hitch" event. There is a lot of work to go from driveway to ready to hit the road. I am exhausted from the entire procedure. then once you get to the site you have to spend at all that time to unhook from the truck and get all the utilities hooked up and then the trailer is so hot here in Texas you have to grab the chairs from the pass-through and sit under the awning till it cools down. I guess I am looking for something I can just load up, drive to the camping spot and push the leveler button and within a few minutes have electricity, water and sewer hooked up. We are beginning our search for either a Class A or a Class C. This will probably take at least a year or two. until then we will use our TT. We have begun our list of what we want or don't want in a MH. I didn't know about this forum prior to getting our TT. The members here have so much to offer in information and experience. I plan to use this forum to bounce off ideas and questions so that I can make a very informed decision.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #39

We started in a single axle trailer pulled with a Toyota Tacoma. It was well under the weight rating for the truck but the truck always felt very marginal in handling it out on the highway and in the mountains we struggled up and down. We never traveled further than 300 miles. After five years (when it was paid off) we upgraded to the small class C Forester with a single slide. It is so much easier to drive, setup, and travel down the road in, it would be hard to go back to a trailer now. Being just 3 ft longer than the van it started as we can park in most lots and even in a single space if I can hang over in the rear. There is the option of towing a utility trailer with our 12 ft kayaks and bikes, just a bike rack, or eventually a car. Right now we are doing with out the tow car, as it only takes 5 minutes to break camp and go somewhere.

The other huge factor is that we have the option of a relief driver now, as my wife can drive the class c out on the highway. With the huge mirrors and rear camera it is easy. She would never even try the truck and trailer setup.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
We started in a single axle trailer pulled with a Toyota Tacoma. It was well under the weight rating for the truck but the truck always felt very marginal in handling it out on the highway and in the mountains we struggled up and down. We never traveled further than 300 miles. After five years (when it was paid off) we upgraded to the small class C Forester with a single slide. It is so much easier to drive, setup, and travel down the road in, it would be hard to go back to a trailer now. Being just 3 ft longer than the van it started as we can park in most lots and even in a single space if I can hang over in the rear. There is the option of towing a utility trailer with our 12 ft kayaks and bikes, just a bike rack, or eventually a car. Right now we are doing with out the tow car, as it only takes 5 minutes to break camp and go somewhere.

The other huge factor is that we have the option of a relief driver now, as my wife can drive the class c out on the highway. With the huge mirrors and rear camera it is easy. She would never even try the truck and trailer setup.
I hear that about the wife driving,,, my wife has never driven our Sunseeker 2500TS but I think in an emergency she could ???

She would NEVER try to drive Truck & TT !!!

Truck & 30' TT can be a real challenge sometimes,,,
Can I get in and out of that Gas Station ok ???
Do I have to look for a Truck Stop ???
And of course,,, can we get it in that camp site ???

Tags
motorhome, trailer, travel, travel trailer