RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #21

This won't be flattering and I'll get lambasted for this (because I have before when cautioning against buying on credit) but:

Many people's eyes are bigger than their wallets. Your REAL problem is that you bought more MH than you could really afford. That's what creates being upside down. Salesmen LOVE that - buy with little down, finance the rest = upside down.

There's more to being able to "afford the payment." You also have to afford "being upside down." Very few people do that math.

Now you want to compound the problem.

My advice: Thank God (or your lucky stars) for what you have, and find a way to be happy with what you have, until you aren't upside down anymore. THEN don't buy more than you can afford the next time.

And be glad you're not asking about being upside down because your spouse just got diagnosed with cancer and you need to sell the MH at a loss to cover the bills. Those kinds of people are really hurting.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
It's a colloquial expression. And, I was not aware OP was a lady. My apologies ma'am. Rest assure my use of the word had no meaning other than as a financial concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
A not too often used phrase but one with as much meaning today as it was long ago is Making Your Nut. Simply put it means that a person has the money that will be needed to pay the bills that are due. But where do terms or phrases like this come from? Here is the accepted version of the origin of this one:
Back in old England is the origin this phrase. There were gypsy circuses that would travel from county to county entertaining the townspeople. Before the city fathers would allow them to set up camp, they would come to an arrangement as to how much the circus would pay the city in taxes for the privilege of setting up. Once this amount was agreed upon, the city sheriff would take the large nut that secured one of the wagon wheels on the biggest circus wagon.
Until the circus was able to pay the amount, they would not get their nut back. This way the traveling entertainers could not sneak away at night without making payment.
Today this phrase is used when discussing whether or not there is enough cash coming in to pay your bills. As in ‘Because of too little work this month, it will be difficult to make our nut.’
Must not be a very prevalent expression in our area of the country.
I've never heard the term "nut" used in any context similar to the implications of the rest the statement.

Even now reading how the term came about, i would still never use it, as it would either cause confusion as to what i was trying to communicate, or probably just be looked at as a derogatory comment.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #23
Site Team

Yep, 62 years old and never heard of "nut" being used that way.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #24

I am 72 and thought Nuts were for Squirrels
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #25

"To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne...surrender...If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne."

"To the German Commander from General McAuliffe...NUTS!"

They held out until reinforced...they were not annihilated.
---------
Nuts - a slang word for insane.

The interpreter told the German commander it meant "Go to "H."
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #26

Well, I'm right between at 66 years old and have heard that expression many times. For all you that have not ever heard the term you can say you learned something new today
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #27

Not necessary to buy new and go upside down on a loan.

Improve your service and inspection skills, save and buy for cash, buy used privately or from a reliable dealer.

Examples:
Premier RV
1994 Country Coach Affinity dp 40 ft, Now $34,900

2003 Intrigue 40′ $114,500, 52k miles which is nothing on a dp

If the engine and chassis are good, and no history of water damage, you save enough to upgrade the interior and go forth in a high quality coach.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
First of I was not laughing at the OP.............I was trying to interject a little humor into what appears to be a not so ideal situation by the use of the word "upsidedownedness" which is not a word to begin with. One thing I've noticed on this forum is a distinct lack of sense of humor.

I did not pay any more money at all, in fact I paid less than most for a particular unit but its much more about "how" you paid for it, and not what you paid for it. Even if someone paid dealer cost but financed 100% and did so for some ridiculously long term, they're most likely going to be upside down, no way around that with an RV.
I'll inject a bit (humor). I've never been 'upside down'. I pay CASH for everything but real estate because everything else depreciates, RE appreciates. (most times).

I dislike payment books anyway.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #29

"One thing I've noticed on this forum is a distinct lack of sense of humor."

I don't think it is a forum issue, I think it is much more widespread.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This won't be flattering and I'll get lambasted for this (because I have before when cautioning against buying on credit) but:

Many people's eyes are bigger than their wallets. Your REAL problem is that you bought more MH than you could really afford. That's what creates being upside down. Salesmen LOVE that - buy with little down, finance the rest = upside down.

There's more to being able to "afford the payment." You also have to afford "being upside down." Very few people do that math.

Now you want to compound the problem.

My advice: Thank God (or your lucky stars) for what you have, and find a way to be happy with what you have, until you aren't upside down anymore. THEN don't buy more than you can afford the next time.

And be glad you're not asking about being upside down because your spouse just got diagnosed with cancer and you need to sell the MH at a loss to cover the bills. Those kinds of people are really hurting.
I been lurking on this thread since it started and IMO you pretty well summed it up with this post. While realizing that all folks have different financial backgrounds and situations, I doubt that anyone has to buy a RV - it's more of a "I want one" or "I think RVing would be fun, so while we really can't afford one,let's buy one anyway."
Some people can afford to buy mansions while others cannot.

You're right - some people just look at the monthly payments to decide if they can afford one or not. There's more than just that to owning on of these things.

I laugh (and also feel sorry for people) who are pulled in by those TV ads that say "you can own this giant TV for only $10 a month." They only look at the monthly payment not thinking about the interest rate and length of the loan.

Buy what you can afford and consider and factor in the other things besides just the monthly payment.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
A not too often used phrase but one with as much meaning today as it was long ago is Making Your Nut. Simply put it means that a person has the money that will be needed to pay the bills that are due. But where do terms or phrases like this come from? Here is the accepted version of the origin of this one:
Back in old England is the origin this phrase. There were gypsy circuses that would travel from county to county entertaining the townspeople. Before the city fathers would allow them to set up camp, they would come to an arrangement as to how much the circus would pay the city in taxes for the privilege of setting up. Once this amount was agreed upon, the city sheriff would take the large nut that secured one of the wagon wheels on the biggest circus wagon.
Until the circus was able to pay the amount, they would not get their nut back. This way the traveling entertainers could not sneak away at night without making payment.
Today this phrase is used when discussing whether or not there is enough cash coming in to pay your bills. As in ‘Because of too little work this month, it will be difficult to make our nut.’
And I'm gonna grab that "nut" and run with it. I love baffling people with this sort of dribble.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #32

What was the original question again ?......LOL.

Did I miss the part that must of read something about asking for financial counseling ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #33
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post

Did I miss the part that must of read something about asking for financial counseling ?
And isn't that what you have received?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #34

Ok. My useless opinion. I was told if you wait till you can afford kids then you will never have any.

For some(most I am sure) if you wait till you can pay for an RV the kids will be gone and out of school. The object for most is to enjoy the RV world with your kids. I think.

It was too early for us to go for another RV. We have 4 kids and 1 GS(the best one) and we like to camp. Youngest DS just turned 10 and the oldest child is 23. Extra income??? What is that. I also know people who scraped and saved and died without living. I.E. Ex-FIL died at 53(how old I am) and I figure he wasn't through living. Live your life as you see fit and try to understand us poor people. Most are just trying to make it. I have an entry-level RV and an old truck and trying to enjoy with a hope of eventual financial freedom or at least before I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #35
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I pay CASH for everything but real estate because everything else depreciates
That may work for you.

Everyone's situation is different. In my case I put money away pre-tax. It's out there working for me and making more than the little bit of interest I pay on the RV loan. (Money is still cheap) If I were to take the whole lump out and buy the RV cash, after taxes, I would end up behind. The day I retire I will probably pay off the loan.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #36

Quote:
That may work for you.

Everyone's situation is different. In my case I put money away pre-tax. It's out there working for me and making more than the little bit of interest I pay on the RV loan. (Money is still cheap) If I were to take the whole lump out and buy the RV cash, after taxes, I would end up behind. The day I retire I will probably pay off the loan.
I retired at 57 and I'm 66 now so been there and did that. I did a wad of pre-tax myself. Great method to nest egg.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post

Nope you didn't miss it.... and Yes, i believe i answered the op's question in post #2
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #38

So many times paying cash is just stupid. My home and RV at interest rates under 3.5% bring in much desired deductions. My wifes SUV at 0% and my truck at 2.9% are paid way ahead but stupid to pay them off. It has been a long time since my investments brought in as little as 7%. Paying cash would require the curtailment of some investments at a big loss of income. Credit is a tool. It can be used wisely, it can be used for convenience, it can be used because required, or it can be used foolishly. Not using it wisely is like digging a ditch with a spoon while the shovel sits in the truck.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #39

Quote:
It's a colloquial expression. And, I was not aware OP was a lady. My apologies ma'am. Rest assure my use of the word had no meaning other than as a financial concept.
Colloquial, and idiomatic expressions are legion and can be very regional in nature. To me, "pants" are to me what "trousers" are to most Brits. To them, "pants" are underwear. To a South African, "pudding" means more than a custardy concoction- it is a generic term meaning what we in North America call "dessert". What I call "shorts", meaning short pants, also means underwear to some. In my Canadian vocabulary "pissed" means inebreiated, but I believe in the USA it means to be upset- what we would express as "pissed off".
I have heard the "nut" expression, and knew the it meant to satisfy a debt, but the background is a revelation to me.
Most such expressions can be understood from context, and need not be taken as insulting.

Cheers to all

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
So many times paying cash is just stupid. My home and RV at interest rates under 3.5% bring in much desired deductions. My wifes SUV at 0% and my truck at 2.9% are paid way ahead but stupid to pay them off. It has been a long time since my investments brought in as little as 7%. Paying cash would require the curtailment of some investments at a big loss of income. Credit is a tool. It can be used wisely, it can be used for convenience, it can be used because required, or it can be used foolishly. Not using it wisely is like digging a ditch with a spoon while the shovel sits in the truck.
X2.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
"One thing I've noticed on this forum is a distinct lack of sense of humor."

I don't think it is a forum issue, I think it is much more widespread.
And X 200
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote