Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

USED Motorhome Advise Please

Looking for a low cost investment to try on a 3000 mile round trip next year. Basic requirements are large engine, genset, air, dual rear wheels and clean interior. We may use this once and sell it or it might be around or perhaps upgraded if we stick with it.

So far I have looked at a couple type A that are in the 80s that need tons of work and cleaning, priced around 7K. I found a Four Winds type C which is a 1999, 350 Ford with the V-10. Couple of ladies own it, asking 13k and did not want to negotiate on that figure.

Any particular brands to avoid or to look for in particular?

Thanks!
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Looking for a low cost investment to try on a 3000 mile round trip next year. Basic requirements are large engine, genset, air, dual rear wheels and clean interior. We may use this once and sell it or it might be around or perhaps upgraded if we stick with it.

So far I have looked at a couple type A that are in the 80s that need tons of work and cleaning, priced around 7K. I found a Four Winds type C which is a 1999, 350 Ford with the V-10. Couple of ladies own it, asking 13k and did not want to negotiate on that figure.

Any particular brands to avoid or to look for in particular?

Thanks!
Rent a car and stay in a hotel cheaper for you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

Rent a car and stay in a hotel cheaper for you.
Darn iffy where we're you when I bought the boat?
btmfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmfdr View Post
Darn iffy where we're you when I bought the boat?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #5

Well I can see this is a waste of time...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Well I can see this is a waste of time...
Well, to be fair, it was a wide open question that has no answer and only incites the membership to let you know it is a "not very well thought out" idea. Sometimes these question critiques can be "volatile".

Baiting members with questions like this one is actually prohibited on this board.
I should give you a violation, but you may have actually asked this question in good faith. So, here is my good faith answer. Not a good idea.

Iggy had the right idea.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If the plan is a one-and-done trip, then I agree that buying a class A or C won't make much fiscal sense, so have you considered renting? Now, I never have done this so can't speak from experience, but I know there are rentals available from private owners. I Googled Motorhome Rentals and got a bunch of hits. Seems to me that this would allow you to stay in a newer MH in your price range without all of the burdens of ownership.

A purchase like this is not something I would do unless I intended to keep it for at least a few years. Good luck with your decision.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

My friend and I discussed this once and concluded that RVing was not a cheap method of travel but a lifestyle we enjoy. If you are in it for the economics, follow Iggy's advice.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well, to be fair, it was a wide open question that has no answer and only incites the membership to let you know it is a "not very well thought out" idea. Sometimes these question critiques can be "volatile".

Baiting members with questions like this one is actually prohibited on this board.
I should give you a violation, but you may have actually asked this question in good faith. So, here is my good faith answer. Not a good idea.

Iggy had the right idea.
Go ahead and give me a "violation" for asking an honest question. While you are at it, delete my information and my membership. I will attempt this myself. There are too many other forums for me to take this nonsense here. Have fun.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Go ahead and give me a "violation" for asking an honest question. While you are at it, delete my information and my membership. I will attempt this myself. There are too many other forums for me to take this nonsense here. Have fun.
Since you did ask in good faith, it is also apparent from your reply that advice was not what you wanted. You wanted confirmation that your poorly thought out and financially ruinous idea was a good one. Sorry, you did not get what you wanted here.

Perhaps you will find what you are looking for elsewhere. If you are looking for advice (as in every open board - some will be good and some will be bad) you will get it where ever you go. I doubt you will find validation on any board; but who knows...

As to the violation comment, this board is more tightly controlled than some others. This I believe makes us "better", but it is a great big internet and you are certainly free to do as you will out there. I did not sanction you or delete your account (if you never come back it will go inactive all by itself) because I felt you actually might have posted in good faith and said so.

I posted the comment as a caution in case you did "toss a grenade" just to see what would happen.

Good luck in any case and feel free to return if you do buy a "fixer-upper" and need our help. I suggest you watch "The Money Pit" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks before you do.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Commercial Member

That might be the most polite smack down I have seen in a while. lol

And rightfully distributed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

I don't know if the OP is still watching with all that self-righteousness in his eyes, but as a serious answer--wife and I did the RV rental thing last year, and we rented from El Monte RV--they're a national "chain" company that uses local car rental offices as bases for their RV fleet, and they usually have several different types and price ranges available at each location. It's a good way to see if you like RV-ing without making the huge financial leap of buying one. It's primarily what lead to us buying the TT. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Bayrat.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Bayrat...

I went through looking at Class A, B, C fifth wheels etc. but like Goldie Locks found the one that is just right. I decided to buy a new unit (hardside popup)which I will be picking up in a few weeks. I decided to buy new because unfortunately I am not the McGiver type like so many guys on this forum are and quite inept at fixing and repairing things. Buying new will also give me some small amount of piece of mind. Hopefully the problems I have will be small and few. As far as I can tell, RV's depreciate faster than a car although there are probably some exceptions. You might be able to find a good deal on a used one and if you're not real familiar with RV's (like me), take it to a dealer or a buddy who is experienced with these things and let them look it over. Another bit of advice is that you go smaller rather than bigger unless bigger is just your thing. A side by side refrigerator and a center island are nice but unless you are living in it fulltime, maybe these are the type of extravagances you can live without. Mind you, I'm not knocking anyone who has these things but I think people tend to over buy when it comes to RV's. It is definitely a case of buyer beware when buying an RV especially a used one. At any rate, good hunting on your RV buying journey. I hope this helps you out in some small way.
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote