Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Used vs New (from newbies)

What a process for newbies! We have finally settled on buying a MH and will tow either the Harley or our Tacoma. Since we are newly debt free, we could actually afford a new one and in fact, really like a 2013 Georgetown XL which we could get for 40% off - new but obviously last years model.

We just don't want that kind of debt as we could only put down 20% at this time. In a year or two, we will be able to save up another 30-50%. Did I mention, we are ready to roll! (We live in Florida and will spend time in Fredericksburg, Virginia to be our new grandson.)

We have started looking at used ones in RV Trader and have learned we could get a Good Sam warranty as a possibility for peace of mind. We would like to buy a used one for a year or so to make sure we are cut out for this! Then we could go for that dream late model one!

After that, I would feel more comfortable in financing it and by then, we will have saved up and could put down lots more!

Our big concern as we sort through the 1,000s of MH, some are 2005 or so and have very low mileage. When we interview the private owner, we can hear the "story" but if we went to a dealership, who knows what the story is.

A good friend and her husband researched for one year before buying a new Silverado 2500 truck and a new ultra light Evergreen TT to take cross country to sightsee and visit kids/grandkids. Long story short, they had to let it sit in their back yard for two years due to an unexpected health issue. They finally took it out, leaving in May and are now heading home (Aug). They took it in for a check up before they hit the road and found out that mice had taken over the duct system and have just had so other many issues! Main one is their slide now has to be manually put in and out.

So this makes me think sitting is not good! Are their any other hazards should we be concerned about?

Tomorrow, we are heading to the Labor Day Show & Sale in Kissimmee! I have my foot down, we won't buy! There are a few "great deals" we plan to check out next week!

Thanks a million!
Debbie
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #2

I've bought all mine used and so far we have had really good luck.

Just a couple things that can cost you a lot of money out of the gate.

Make sure the generator, if equipped, runs and runs properly. Some people that stay in camp grounds never run their genny and it will at least cost you a new carb if its all gummed up. If you have somebody like cummins do the work your looking at 4 to 6 hundred.

If the tires are at all worn or weather checked ask for at least 1500 off the price. For a good set of tires your looking at over 200 a tire plus mount and balance.

Just for a baseline, we bought the 06 Sunseeker we have now in 2010 at it had 6 hours on the genny and 11000 on the odometer.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #3

Thanks! This is encouraging! Do you usually go through a dealer or private owner?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #4

we bought our 1st used one a 1998 jayco class c from a dealerwho was up front abought everything and let us fully check every thing out before we bought it. it had sat for 2 years before . the only thing wrong with it was when we got it home it had a wheel seal out witch is not uncommon with a vehicle that has not been moved for a while our 2nd one is a 2011 sunseeker we boughtfrom a private party and have had good luck with it. one thing i have always done when buying a used vheicle is to say to the seller tell me what you know is wrong with this . i figure if there is absolutely nothing wrong i need to walk away and if they show me some things wrong or show fixes they have done i feel they are more honest
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #5

Great strategy! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

If the tires are at all worn or weather checked ask for at least 1500 off the price. For a good set of tires your looking at over 200 a tire plus mount and balance.

Just for a baseline, we bought the 06 Sunseeker we have now in 2010 at it had 6 hours on the genny and 11000 on the odometer.[/QUOTE]

Class A tires can cost from $400 to $500 each or more, most larger Class A's have a 22.5 which can run in the $500 plus range, before mount and balance. Just food for thought

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

That is true on the class A tires, for some reason I had class c in my head.

We bought both our motorhomes from private parties. Both couples were probably on their late 60's and were very honest about little things that may need to be fixed.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
2012 Solera

Have you considered buying used from a rental company? High mileage relative to a private sale - but I don't think these chassis wear out before the "house" portion dies. I believe the rental companies tend to buy stuff that is less "state of the art" and more proven technology (the unit I rented before buying to try out RV'ing had no slide, no transfer switch, ...). Some threads on other forums (e.g. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search). I think in several cases you can rent the unit - try it out - then decide if you want to buy it.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Have you considered buying used from a rental company? High mileage relative to a private sale - but I don't think these chassis wear out before the "house" portion dies. I believe the rental companies tend to buy stuff that is less "state of the art" and more proven technology (the unit I rented before buying to try out RV'ing had no slide, no transfer switch, ...). Some threads on other forums (e.g. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search). I think in several cases you can rent the unit - try it out - then decide if you want to buy it.
Good thoughts to check out! Thanks!
But believe it or not, he started looking at 5th Wheels! Looks like we're not buying anytime soon!!! smh
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post

Good thoughts to check out! Thanks!
But believe it or not, he started looking at 5th Wheels! Looks like we're not buying anytime soon!!! smh
That's to bad you are putting it off. I can say as a new buyer that I wish we had bought a used one and that we would have been more educated before our purchase.
Advice is free and worth every penny but here is mine
1 consider the mission. How much will you tow? How much HP and torque do you need. Do you need a diesel or a gasser. How much will you travel. Get more HP and torque than you think you need. The mileage difference is not that important if you want to tow more and can't .
2 Consider the floor plan. Do you need bunk beds. The layout in the living room is it comfortable for all to relax and watch TV or read or hang out. We spend more time in side than I thought we would.
We have been camping in some cold weather and the tile floors do not warm up. A friend bought a 6 year old Country Couch with in floor heat. Very nice. Do you want all electric? I think I would. His runs on electric and diesel. Very nice to not fill the LP tanks. I would live to have a residential fridge.
I also would weigh anything you were thinking of buying and make sure there is extra capacity.
If you buy the correct MH for you remember that it could last a lifetime. You will never wear out the drive train. After time you can have the interior completely redone. I have seen some that turned out very nice and much cheaper than buying a new one. Sorry this just turned in to a rambling mess. Good luck on your shopping. We love our MH and for us it was the right choice over a 5th wheel but I will admit I'm always admiring all RV's and those 5th wheels are very nice.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

I think I'm just seeing this!
A miracle happened and we bought a new 2014 XLite 5er (SOB) under $30,000 and traded in our little Tacoma for a end of the year bargain 2013 Ford Lariat Ecoboost. We've towed over 5,000 miles, camped in 5 states and are on trip # 18 tomorrow! It all just fell together for us!
We're 2 happy extended RVers-considering going full time when our house sells in a depressed market! We're actually sort of looking for our next home town while traveling for our "exit" plan once we are full timers and are ready to slow down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That's to bad you are putting it off. I can say as a new buyer that I wish we had bought a used one and that we would have been more educated before our purchase.
Advice is free and worth every penny but here is mine
1 consider the mission. How much will you tow? How much HP and torque do you need. Do you need a diesel or a gasser. How much will you travel. Get more HP and torque than you think you need. The mileage difference is not that important if you want to tow more and can't .
2 Consider the floor plan. Do you need bunk beds. The layout in the living room is it comfortable for all to relax and watch TV or read or hang out. We spend more time in side than I thought we would.
We have been camping in some cold weather and the tile floors do not warm up. A friend bought a 6 year old Country Couch with in floor heat. Very nice. Do you want all electric? I think I would. His runs on electric and diesel. Very nice to not fill the LP tanks. I would live to have a residential fridge.
I also would weigh anything you were thinking of buying and make sure there is extra capacity.
If you buy the correct MH for you remember that it could last a lifetime. You will never wear out the drive train. After time you can have the interior completely redone. I have seen some that turned out very nice and much cheaper than buying a new one. Sorry this just turned in to a rambling mess. Good luck on your shopping. We love our MH and for us it was the right choice over a 5th wheel but I will admit I'm always admiring all RV's and those 5th wheels are very nice.

Tags