Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #1

Water collecting bib

We had hard pouring rain last week in our area; had a break yesterday and today.
Went where our 2012 Lexington 265DS is parked in strorage to have a look before preparation for the new season.

While looking around, we found water in the strage compartiment under the kitchenette slideout; abouth 1 inch in the PVC bin.

Question 1: Has anyone experienced similar issue on Lexington (or Forester and Sunseeker, that have more / less same arrengement of storage?

I found (I hope) the source of the problem: about a 1 foot long of a tiny craked caulking right over the compartiment door. Went inside the RV service centre to buy a new tube of Proflex RV sealant (mine was almost new but unusable, cloggled: pure $$$ waste). The lady / owner told me abouth a gadget that preserve the caulking tube from hardening.

SmartCapÂ*- CAULKING TUBE CAPS - Home Page

Question 2: Ever heard abouth this?

Happy camping !
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Yes, fix that ASAP. The water leaking in is one thing. Water getting into your wall and feeding de-lamination is another and happens faster than you would think. I have seen it.

Unfortunately manufacturers increasingly no longer put anything between the flange of hatches/doors/windows and rely on the little bead on the outside to keep the water out.

When I pointed out de-lamination that had started on the wall above one of the hatches, as the result of the minimal caulking bead separating, on my Heartland Cyclone to the factory, they stated that I should have all caulking checked by a professional technician every 90 days......

Yeah right.

So, one by one I removed hatches and reinstalled them with proper bedding, be it butyl tape or a bedding compound.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #3

Went back at our Lexi last friday; we had rain on the day before. No trace of water in cpmpartment; looks like the repair was OK.
Will go back after next rain, with hope.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #4

Went back today after heavy rain on yesterday; checked and found a «dry» bin under kitchenette slide.

So repair fixed the problem.

Wanted to share.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
Dragonship Captain

Cool. Keep an eye on all doors and hatches....

Tags
water