Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Water Filters and sanitizing your tank

So I’m sanitizing my SS Water system after jusr aquiring this used Rv. The question is whether to sanitize the system with the old filter still in or after installing a new filter.

If you keep the old filter and sanitize you have potential for contamination still in the system when you put in the new filter.

If you install the new filter before sanitizing it would seem any junk would load your new filter plus the new filter would absorb the chlorine you put in to sanitize the system.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thoughts?

Newly Retired!!!!
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #2

sanitize

Well if you are sanitizing through the filter. do it before you change the filter. Normally the new filters should not have any contaminants that way as you said you would not get the big chlorine blast to the new filter. After you sanitize change the filter. The exit for the water will still be clean and the rest of the water has to go through the filter before entering the sanitized system. Do it all the time at hospitals.
beavertrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

I believe you are correct however most folks I know sanitize with no filter. I use bleach to sanitize then I remove the empty filter housing, lube the o-ring with food grade silicone, then I lightly spray the receiver and housing with a hydrogen peroxide solution to keep from saturating the filter with bleach. I will admit that I do not know what effect the H2O2 will have on the filter I use. However, I have been using it since June and have not seen or experienced any issues. Anybody with SME feel free to respond.
Note: This does not work on towable products. j/k

Edit: Congrats on your retirement.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

filters

As a side note.
Those Hospital filter are 0.2 micron filter. over $400 a pop.
beavertrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavertrap View Post
As a side note.
Those Hospital filter are 0.2 micron filter. over $400 a pop.
Holy Cow! I use 1 micron and worry about flow rate.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Don't worry about it. Drain it and refill it a couple of times, then use it.

The human body has survived for millenia without bleach, drinking all sorts of water, varying in quality.
ishwashgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #7

Remove filter when you sanatize.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

The filters I use claim to eliminate chlorine from the water and I've ruined at least one by forgetting to remove it during sanitation of the system.

Water in the system needs to be clean not sterile. Chlorine bleach will do the job. Quarter cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water in the tank. If you can drive around and slosh it all the better. Pump it thru the system. Although this link says 12 hours a couple of hours is more than enough.

https://www.rvtrader.com/research/ne...v-water-system

Or you can throw this in the system and drive around the block and drain. Process needs to be done with each chemical, so its really two times around the block.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fresh-Wat...6662/138494734

First method costs about 25¢, second method costs $18.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
remove filter when you sanatize.
Right On !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #10

If you are filtering out chlorine when filling your tank, keep in mind it will require more frequent cleaning. Muni water usually has sufficient chlorine to allow storage for a fair amount of time before getting the "film".

Test this yourself. Put out a bowl of filtered and a bowl of tap (such as if using for a pet. After 24/48 hours, dump the water and feel the bowl (the filtered will have a slimy feel). My tap water has 2ppm chlorine (at the lowest, so does our hot tub).

Personally, I use tap for filling. If we want to drink filtered, we do so after tap, such as a Brita. On the road, if we refill, I flush at home with tap to reintroduce chlorine. I do a cleaning a couple times a year.

Our muni supply flushes the lines no more than once every few years, or after having to use our backup supply (and is flushed only for appearance, as the backup supply tends to have a tint to it).
Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #11

My onboard, chlorine minimizing water filter, is after the fresh water tank so stored water maintains the municipal chlorine level (actually county 'cuz we're in Virginia where there are very few cities that have any governmental status).

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Chief tinkerer

I sanitize with an empty filter bowl. Once all the bleach is flushed out, the new filter goes in. Flush the new filter by running a couple of gallons of clean water through it.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
I sanitize with an empty filter bowl. Once all the bleach is flushed out, the new filter goes in. Flush the new filter by running a couple of gallons of clean water through it.
Do you flush the filter before you install it ???
That is what I do !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water filter