RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #21

1. The usuals, being cut off, right side passers, no flush dump stations, crappy Chinese tires, noisy neighbors, Camp Nazis.
2. Just turning 65, get up early so have a couple hundred under my belt by 10 or 11, more worried about stopping to pee, than a nap, gotta control the coffee, and meds.
3. Gas goes away, more worried about what's left behind, but Clorox can be your best friend?, who knows what happens on those dealer lots anyway.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #22

I am over 70 and never take a daytime nap,,, but it sounds like many folks should !!!
I think we had a truck driver fall asleep on I 94 the other day !!!
My neighbor lost his Mom & Dad a few years back,,, they fell asleep driving a car !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #23

1. Drivers who use on ramps to pass on the right rather than blend in and people who use my campsite as a cut through.
2. Younger then 65 but fyi up to 800 miles per day. I've always been a natural born driver.
3. Those farts have long sinced passed😉so they wouldn't bother me at all.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #24

Twisted answers?

1) Idjits crossing however many lanes from the left to get to the ramp we just passed and taking the chrome off of my bumper as they go. Then taking the time to check for flat spots on the tires after they do that and measuring how much chrome they left me.
Other idjits screaming up to pass me then swoop and squat to get to the exit or turn that they could have just dropped in behind me to make.
That happens more often than I REALLY like to happen, especially when driving my School Bus.

2) We usually set our travel day for 250 to 350 miles, depending on what we find along the way. For us travel is sometimes more about the journey than the destination.

3) Wasn't a factor. Our unit still smelled of factory formaldehyde and chemicals. I couldn't have smell gas if I had tried.
Now, since we have owned it?
Don't ask...

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoose View Post
1. What is the thing about RVing that aggravates you most on a regular basis?

2. For you 65+, how many hours while driving your MH before you need a nap? Some days

after cooking breakfast and going to the store and/or walking the dog, I already need a nap. I can't see driving a big RV more than 4 hours without taking a time out for sleep.

3. How much does it bother you that in buying a used RV, you would be buying one that some strangers have passed gas in every room and on every seat/ bed for several years?
We are full-time RVers hauling a 43' 5th wheel all over the continent. In the past 3 years, we have logged about 50,000 miles.

1. We love the life-style and the positives far out-weigh the negatives/aggravations. However a few things that irk me are park sewer connections that are uphill from my rig's sewer outlets. 3 engineering degrees and even I know that sh**** doesn't run uphill. Of course there is the ubiquitous issue of abysmal wi-fi. Based on our experiences, if a park advertises "high-speed wi-fi", it means that throughput is slightly better than smoke signals, and is about the same as transmitting Morse code.

2. When we plan out our itineraries, we try to keep travel days under 200 miles - sometimes as short as 80-90 miles. We are retired, and we are not in any rush. We are out to see North America (US, Canada, and Mexico) and we do it at our own pace. Summers we go north, winters we go south. I take naps when I darn well feel like it. I like being up late at night, and often-times don't hit the sack until 3 or 4 am. I'll take the dogs out for a walk, stand in awe of the night sky, enjoy the peace and quite which is often very easy because I am the only dang fool awake at that hour! A really good additional benefit is that when I come to bed my wife has the sheets and blankets all nicely warmed up, and I can snuggle right up close to her - no electric blankets for me!

3. We bought our rig brand new, had never RVed before, and had a real steep learning curve on this big rig (43'). I became quite familiar with the shoddy workmanship of RVs, regardless of how much one pays. Took me about 2 years, to redesign, re-engineer, and rebuild the rig whilst on the road to my satisfaction. Did a fair amount of re-wiring and created my own wiring diagram, strengthened the interior shelving, wall joints, cupboards, replaced the rig's suspension, replaced the rims and tires with 17.5" and H-rated 14-ply commercial truck tires. Previously had several blow-outs with crummy tires, had to fabricate new aluminum skirting when the originals got destroyed by the blow-outs. Learned to repair the fridges that bit the dust due to low pedestal voltages. No plans to trade it in. I believe in maintaining the rig (and our truck and our 2005 F-350 dually diesel), and after putting in a fair amount of effort, I want to continue to enjoy what I have.
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #26

One day at a time

Driving distances depend on when we depart. I can drive 100 miles or 600. Biggest factor is that I want to set up camp while the sun is still up. I can do it after sunset . . . but there could be hidden surprises I don't want to deal with.

Normally don't take naps on the road . . . but if traffic gets busy . . . always keep my eyes closed so I don't panic !! Seriously, there are times I had a bad night and get tired. The good thing about having a generator, I can power up the a/c and take a short nap while the boss goes shopping. Just turned 65, but retired for 2 years.

I've bought new and used. The latest is a new "C" class after trading in a used 40' "A" class. Enjoyed the bigger motorhome, but the repair were killing me. But buying new . . . had a lot of issues also and spent much time in the shop, along with repairs I made on the road. On top of that, buying new, higher cost and faster devaluation. I thought about selling it, but can't.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #27

Question #1 - waiting for idiots in the RV dump line. I can get my business done in about 6-8 minutes, but some folks just don't get it.

Last weekend in a fairly remote town in Utah, I pulled up to the RV dump where a truck/camper was parked. No one to be seen, I was banging on the door to the camper trying to find them. 5 minutes later 3 dips**ts amble out of the grocery store next door. Even though they had already dumped it still took these 3 Einsteins another 5 minutes to vacate the RV dump. Meanwhile, me and another rig were twiddling our thumbs and trying to thrash them with psychopathic waves within inches of their lives.

#2 - I'm only 58, don't take naps, and 4 hours is about my max driving time in the RV.

#3 - I always buy used vehicles, so it doesn't bother me. I always buy a mattress topper for the beds. I'm not losing 25% of my investment by driving off the showroom floor.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedog View Post
Question #1 - waiting for idiots in the RV dump line. I can get my business done in about 6-8 minutes, but some folks just don't get it.

Last weekend in a fairly remote town in Utah, I pulled up to the RV dump where a truck/camper was parked. No one to be seen, I was banging on the door to the camper trying to find them. 5 minutes later 3 dips**ts amble out of the grocery store next door. Even though they had already dumped it still took these 3 Einsteins another 5 minutes to vacate the RV dump. Meanwhile, me and another rig were twiddling our thumbs and trying to thrash them with psychopathic waves within inches of their lives.

#2 - I'm only 58, don't take naps, and 4 hours is about my max driving time in the RV.

#3 - I always buy used vehicles, so it doesn't bother me. I always buy a mattress topper for the beds. I'm not losing 25% of my investment by driving off the showroom floor.
Man I hear ya SpikeDog !!!
I just love these folks that park in front of the Gas Pumps & go shopping & have a half of cup of coffee !!! INCONCIDERENT Aholes !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote