Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

Weird Questions from an old Twisted Mind

1. What is the thing about RVing that aggravates you most on a regular basis?

2. For you 65+, how many hours while driving your MH before you need a nap? Some days

after cooking breakfast and going to the store and/or walking the dog, I already need a nap. I can't see driving a big RV more than 4 hours without taking a time out for sleep.

3. How much does it bother you that in buying a used RV, you would be buying one that some strangers have passed gas in every room and on every seat/ bed for several years?
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Interesting questions...

Number 1, nothing. I go camping to relax and enjoy my solitude but I never camp in a campground and my camper stays packed all summer. I even leave the fridge on, Just a matter of loading in the provisions and booking. I carry a Dometic Compressor fridge on the backseat of the truck. Thats where I keep my ice cream and ice cubes. I love Rock hard French Vanilla with Hershey Chocolate syrup on top.

Number 2, I'm past 65 by a ways. I like to snooze in the afternoon so I plan my trips by leaving early and getting to my destination early afternoon. I get set up and take a nap. Setting up is tiring anyway.

Number 3, Never had that issue, I always buy new. Now my used units are 'broken in' by me and my wife.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

Idiot drivers using their car phones and texting when driving in traffic.

I am 67+ and I do not nap during the day! Why? it screws up my night time sleep pattern and I am miserable the next day.

We tend to drive between 300 and 400 miles a day average is 350 usually. This is about 6 to 7 hours of driving time for me. We like to leave early in the morning and arrive before 4 PM at what ever destination we our going to.

I am pulling a 5er which with the truck is 55' long and 13'-6" tall.

I do not unhook for one night stays and we always get pull thru sites to make it easier to leave in the AM.

I do not worry about someone else living in a use unit, if I did we would never go anywhere. As my Brother-in-law always says XXXX happens!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoose View Post
3. How much does it bother you that in buying a used RV, you would be buying one that some strangers have passed gas in every room and on every seat/ bed for several years?
Gas is gas. As long as no one has p**ped or urinated on it, I don't care. Bodily fluids would bother me more.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

X2 on Jim34's post. Would add have to restrain myself when a small car passes me then jumps in my lane and then slows down. Not to mention the idiots that pass on the right shoulder when traffic is stacked up! Which I had a way to leave a flat car pancake in my wake sometines I have really had to get to get on brakes a couple of times.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Why worry about your used RV having been gassed in? What about your house? Did you buy it "used"?

When we were searching for a used Class C, my dearly beloved had recently seen a Dirty Jobs segment about recycling mattresses. They stated old mattresses contain several pounds of dead skin and other stuff. She didn't want a used RV because of that. I said we would just replace the mattress, which probably would have been worn out anyway.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

1. Loud voices and loud music. Loud anything after quiet hours.

2. I take one when I need it. Max drive time 4 hours then set up.

3. We buy new but if these rigs could talk oh the stories they could tell.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

1) Not enough spaces across America that I fit in well.

2) I go about 300-400 miles. I went 556 last trip, on one leg, and it didn't kill me but I wished I'd have cut that in two. I retired for a reason. I can't nap. Wish I could.

3) I wouldn't hesitate to buy used if it had everything I wanted. I can't imagine finding such a unit, and I didn't, so we ordered ours, built to our specs. It depends on what you want and what you find. Have you NEVER stayed in a hotel???? They do nasty stuff in hotels!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

I'm 81 and pull a 32' travel trailer. 300 miles is my usual distance to travel before stopping for the night. A few times, its been 500 miles. Unless my wife insists (she sleeps most of the trip) I don't stop in between. I don't normally take naps. Its a waste of life!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

I passed 70 a few years back, so my Senior Naps are important to me. After about 3 hours on the road my eyes get tired and the body reminds me of many past motorcycle accidents. What I love about an RV is the ability to pull over and rest my eyes and back for awhile.

Starting out again refreshed makes the trip more pleasant and less stressful, as well as safer.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoose View Post
1. What is the thing about RVing that aggravates you most on a regular basis?

2. For you 65+, how many hours while driving your MH before you need a nap? Some days

after cooking breakfast and going to the store and/or walking the dog, I already need a nap. I can't see driving a big RV more than 4 hours without taking a time out for sleep.

For many years on long haul sleeper teams we worked 4 on and 4 off and I loved it; and as far as the gas think about all the things that happened in the chairs, the bed, on the floor in the hotel/motel room the night before you checked in. Have a nice day
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobutt View Post
as far as the gas think about all the things that happened in the chairs, the bed, on the floor in the hotel/motel room the night before you checked in. Have a nice day
Maybe that's why he has an RV - so he has his own bed and doesn't have to stay on a motel.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

As to item #3, Bluepill recommends not doing headstands on furniture.......

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #14

Wierd answers from an old old mind

Answer to #1 is low limbs, I like back roads, #2 is flushing sewer hose.
I've never napped in the PM, especially now, might not wake up and moving targets are harder to hit.
I'll never see 85 again so I limit myself to 300 or so a day.
Don't like parking lot type RV parks,the biggest problem about living so long is having been there and done that, but the best part is almost everything you get has a lifetime guarantee.

Puma 31RLQS (2017)
Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4(2015)
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #15

1. What aggravates me most is that I never learned how to relax! This thing inside me makes me feel I always have to be doing something. Ugh!
2. I just passed 70 (that's years not mph!) and it seems like I am not accomplishing anything if I don't drive about six hours a day. Probably has something to do with #1 above.
3. Dumb as it may seem, I've actually paid more just to have a new one than someone else's RV. However, I recently learned something that may help. After purchasing a used Jeep for a toad last year, I detailed every square inch of it inside and out...even down in those tiny little seams and crevaces. That made it feel more like it was mine and definitely helped me "bond" with it. Maybe that would work for an RV also.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
As to item #3, Bluepill recommends not doing headstands on furniture.......

You could always wear A shower cap!
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #17

I'm 66 and don't need to take a nap break when driving. I usually do 400 to 450 miles per day, 8 to 9 hours. Slow and steady around 62 mph.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #18

I don't take Naps, It will ruin my day, I go 300 to 450 per day whatever it takes to get where I am going
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I passed 70 a few years back, so my Senior Naps are important to me. After about 3 hours on the road my eyes get tired and the body reminds me of many past motorcycle accidents. What I love about an RV is the ability to pull over and rest my eyes and back for awhile.

Starting out again refreshed makes the trip more pleasant and less stressful, as well as safer.
I feel the same way. I have always been a nap person. It works wonders for me. I seem to sleep deeper during long naps than at night most times. There has always come a time around 1-3pm when it hits me so hard, I just have to lay down (or fall down) if only for 30 minutes or so. I used to usually have a nice couch in my offices that I could sleep during lunch hour, and eat my lunch while I worked afterwards. Hooray for naps!
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #20

I had a boss once that said all the time "Naps are a gift from the gods"..........

That memory just hit me.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote