Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

What kind of toad

I have a sunseeker 3010DS and I needed a toad so I purchased a FIAT. In hindsight I now am thinking that with the max towing of 7500 lbs, maybe I should have spent more time thinking. I can trade my daily driver and Fiat in on a GMC Canyon (max 4500lbs) and have that for the daily driver and not have the extra insurance and personal property tax. So what advice can folks with toads provide on the best way to go.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
I have a sunseeker 3010DS and I needed a toad so I purchased a FIAT. In hindsight I now am thinking that with the max towing of 7500 lbs, maybe I should have spent more time thinking. I can trade my daily driver and Fiat in on a GMC Canyon (max 4500lbs) and have that for the daily driver and not have the extra insurance and personal property tax. So what advice can folks with toads provide on the best way to go.
I don’t have personal experience but did find this helpful in the past when we were considering a Class C. Year by year toad vehicle descriptions and specs. just click each year and scroll down several pages.

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

I looked thru the book and decided to go with the Fiat with manual trans. But with a canyon 4x4 it can be towed 4 down with the transfer case in n. Going to work it out this month.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
Wait till next year...

We went with a Cherokee Latitude with Activ2 transmission. Tows 4down with electronic transfer in neutral,shifter in park. DW used it as her daily driver till she retired
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

That is what we did. We picked our toad based on the motorhome dingy guide and sold our other car for enough $$$ to outfit the new toad with everything, tow pan, tow bar, aux brake, light kit and labor to make it all work. Broke even, even if the DW has a manual shift for an everyday driver. I did sell the 15 year old Honda Accord too cheap but, I was looking to break even on the deal, well, except for car payment.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We tow a 2014 Honda CR-V but I bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab long bed (8 speed) that I am also going to set up to tow 4 down. Your Canyon would be a good choice.

I think it’s only the 8 speed that has the electronic transfer case that can be put in N to tow 4 down.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

We had a Sunseeker 2500TS and towed a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4-down. The base plate for the toad is vehicle specific. Make certain that the tow bar is in spec for the weight of the toad plus the extra gear it will be storing when being towed. I believe the tow bar ratings are 5,000, 7,500, and 10,000 pound ratings.

When we were setting up our toad, we went on craigslist and found the tow bar and braking system for a song compared to new. They were less than a year old. We ordered the base plate on line and had it installed at a body shop. I wired the toad and umbilical. The savings were substantial.

The MH should already be set up with the 7-pin connector at the bumper. We used a 7-pin to 5-pin umbilical to the toad and added a battery tender to the Jeep battery. That allowed us to charge the toad while connected to the MH. Note that the MH has a 12 volt supply at the 7-pin. However, it is only live when the MH ignition is in the on position. That prevents a battery drain.

Ford has just started selling a competitor (4 cylinder turbo) to the Colorado. So, the Chevy dealers may be more willing to bargain. And, don't overlook the GMC Canyon. The Canyon has a few more features, but could end up the better deal.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

We formerly had a Coachmen Freelander class C and subsequently purchased a Sunseeker 3010DS like yours. Both were 32'. The Coachmen was rated for 5,000 lbs towing and the Sunseeker was rated for 7,500 lbs towing. We pulled our CRV (approximate weight 3400 lbs) with both with no problems. We have also pulled our Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd 5.7L Hemi (approximate weight 4900 lbs) with the Sunseeker without any issues. I believe you should be able to tow the Colorado with your Sunseeker without any issues since it appears to be even lighter than our Jeep.

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #9

We have always used a 3 row SUV as a toad because we already owned one for regular use, and we like the extra space for cargo. That said, I sometimes wish I had a pickup so that I could carry my motorcycle with me.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #10

Smile Buick Enclave as Toad

We equipped my wife's daily driver 2013 Buick Enclave to tow 4-down and have had no problems. I bought the Roadmaster tow bar used on eBay and had the towing plate installed along with the Stay-in-Play supplemental braking system and Fusemaster fuse bypass kits to disconnect the battery. The Buick Enclave was listed in the Motorhome Magazine's list as being to tow 4-down. About the only caveat with this arrangement is the requirement to run the engine for five minutes at each fuel and/or rest stop to lubricate the transmission. The Enclave is an upscale SUV with three rows of seating and makes for more comfortable and stylish driving when not acting as a Toad behind our Class A.
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Chief tinkerer

Same 4 down simplicity as the Enclave is our 3 row, 7 passenger 2018 GMC Acadia. Tows great behind our 3010. It is our daily driver, great gas mileage too!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
We have always used a 3 row SUV as a toad because we already owned one for regular use, and we like the extra space for cargo. That said, I sometimes wish I had a pickup so that I could carry my motorcycle with me.

Blue, you can take your bike with you. I have seen these work, slick.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad