Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

What the RV should have

We have an RV with bunks.
It would have made sense to have a rig with bunks that also had a U dinette
And a tub in the shower.

Aren't folks who get units with bunks also people who have children? I'm using a rubermaid restaurant bus pan (Sam's Club) for a make shift bath. Children get grubby enough to need soaking!

There are 5 of us, but even if there were only 4 the U dinette would give more room.

There are just not enough seat belt options. Don't the fine folks at FR have children who claim a sibling is "stealing my air"?

Yes I get the idea that stupid people might fill all 8 seat belts with 300 pound linebackers but operating an RV means that you are responsible for figuring out how much (and how many)to safely carry. There are 8 sleeping spaces (yes 2 second graders are quite happy to share the fold out couch and another two are quite happy to share the. Converted dinette). We only have 6 seat belts, two at the dinette, two on the couch and driver/passenger.

I think a motor home is especially ideal for families with little children because avoid that hour long rest stop when one of them needs to go potty or a little voice announces they are hungry 10 minutes after pulling back onto the road. Children at the dinette, or with lap tables (Michaels craft store) on the couch can complete nifty craft projects, and play games which aren't possible in a TV.

That being said it doesn't seem like any motohome mfg is really designing with families in mind. The uber expensive rigs with bunks have two burner stoves, no ovens. We can't be the only family that actually cooks!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

We have 26tbss that has 3 bunks in the back. We have 3 small kids... We just took out the silly dining area and remodeled it. I rebuilt the benches into a corner sectional. We use a folding chair for me and folding table my wife moves around for cooking or eating. We can even take it outside if we need it. It really opens up the floor plan too. I need to get some pictures of it and post. But I do agree it wasnt thought out very well by FR or by me when I bought it. But it works great now! Ill have to figure out something else when they get bigger though...

Daniel
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Daniel, I would really like to see the changes you have made - do you have the "before" floor plan too?

I thought of another addition- the washer dryer. No not needed for the long weekend trips, but a week or more would really come in handy. Yes at the campground I can feed $10- $20 into machines and waste 1/2 a day, but wouldn't it be nicer to be able to wash the clothes the aforementioned grubby children were wearing more easily?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

I didn't take a before pic so I found one online. But here is what we did. Works very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3987208198.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	14511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2544780336.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	14512   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-838097017.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	14513  
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Sunseeker 3170 has bunks, U-Shape Dinette and a tub. I know that some people dislike the U-shape and others love it. The U-shape is also 82" wide compared to 68" wide. So unfortunately its not as simple as "this should have this"...it also has to fit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
I think a motor home is especially ideal for families with little children because avoid that hour long rest stop when one of them needs to go potty or a little voice announces they are hungry 10 minutes after pulling back onto the road.
Please tell me you at least pull over for "potty breaks" or snack stops. All it would take is a hard brake for an emergency to send a 2nd grader into the wall or worse...
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6

Please tell me you at least pull over for "potty breaks" or snack stops. All it would take is a hard brake for an emergency to send a 2nd grader into the wall or worse...
I can't hear my kid from the bed of the truck at highway speeds.

Just kidding.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #8

Great mod! What did you take out to get that space??

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
I didn't take a before pic so I found one online. But here is what we did. Works very well.
Wow it does open up the space tremendously!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

Yes, and they are in carseats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
We are pretty careful- they ride in booster seats/car seats, but honestly they don't seem as safe as their seats in the minivan.

I guess you could also hand out food in the tow vehicle, but I've found eating in the car leaves a huge mess. On the road, sitting at the dinette, they can enjoy their snack / lunch without the huge mess.

We did almost buy a similar class c and now we think the over driver bunk would have been useful, but automatic levelers, more storage, arctic pack won over the bunk and tub.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

BClemens:
Is the u-shaped dinette actually an option on the 3170? I thought it was not?!
ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #11

While searching for a new RV we had some of the same concerns as we have 5 children (4 will travel with us consistently). We just ordered a Sunseker 3170. They nw have 2 seatbelts in the dinette, 2 on the sofa, 2 on the rear sofa which becomes the bottom bunk, driver & passenger. We really wanted 2 more on the dinette allowing all 4 to play games with each other while movin' on down the road.
It does have a small tub, 3 burner stove, oven and microwave. Fridge is a bit small for us all but there is plenty of storag for other items.
I'm thinking disposable clothing would be a good plan! lol
ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

Same concerns here, with 3 kids

I'll add that with the exception of the big 'super C's or whatever they are called, these bunk house models, 3170 & similar, have very limited weight capacity...
Full gas, half a tank of water or waste, my family, and 1,000# of stuff and they are overloaded! No room for a trailer, can't fill the tanks, can't bring friends......
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Commercial Member

No, sorry I was staring at a 3010 when I wrote that. Normal dinette is 68" u-shape is 84". Just not enough room.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We have an RV with bunks.
It would have made sense to have a rig with bunks that also had a U dinette
And a tub in the shower.

Aren't folks who get units with bunks also people who have children? I'm using a rubermaid restaurant bus pan (Sam's Club) for a make shift bath. Children get grubby enough to need soaking!

There are 5 of us, but even if there were only 4 the U dinette would give more room.

There are just not enough seat belt options. Don't the fine folks at FR have children who claim a sibling is "stealing my air"?

Yes I get the idea that stupid people might fill all 8 seat belts with 300 pound linebackers but operating an RV means that you are responsible for figuring out how much (and how many)to safely carry. There are 8 sleeping spaces (yes 2 second graders are quite happy to share the fold out couch and another two are quite happy to share the. Converted dinette). We only have 6 seat belts, two at the dinette, two on the couch and driver/passenger.

I think a motor home is especially ideal for families with little children because avoid that hour long rest stop when one of them needs to go potty or a little voice announces they are hungry 10 minutes after pulling back onto the road. Children at the dinette, or with lap tables (Michaels craft store) on the couch can complete nifty craft projects, and play games which aren't possible in a TV.

That being said it doesn't seem like any motohome mfg is really designing with families in mind. The uber expensive rigs with bunks have two burner stoves, no ovens. We can't be the only family that actually cooks!
We have a 37' Raptor toyhauler which sleeps 6 adults comfortably and 5 to 8 kids, depending on ages. Its great for short camping trips and bringing friends along. But now were looking to travel farther and thats very hard to do with the kids couped up in a pickup for days at a time. So were looking at bunk houses and have it down to the Charleston. Pricey but worth it. Grandparents have a pusher and never were concerned about kids wearing seatbelts. They pretty much roamed around while going down the road. It is very nice though not having to pull over every 30 minutes for food or potty break. The bunks are great cause the kids can relax, nap, private time, and even time out time. You dont need to pull out any beds in the middle of the day for nap time and then have them in your way. Nothing is perfect for everyone nor the same. Just finding more pros than cons that works for you is about all you can do. Especially for $200k+
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote