Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

2007 W&P 34FK, sidewall construction?

Hello again, I'm wanting to fasten some "E-trac" to the walls of my TH'r in the garage & can't seem to find any info on the wall construction. I'm presuming that it is aluminum framed, foam filled, but wondering if there are any aluminum studs & the spacing?
I see that the previous owner has screwed some peg board onto the walls at the very top of the wall. Does anyone know just how far down the wall the aluminum frame would come? I suppose that I could just take a finishing nail & keep puncturing the wall until I bend the nail?
Thanks for all the ideas & help.
koko 3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

I also own a 2007 W&P 34 FK and am intimately familiar with the construction of the unit. The entire wall structure from one end to the other is FRP. Fibreglass Reinforced Plywood. It is a 3/4 " thick piece of plywood sandwiched between a 1/8" gelcoat on the outside and a clear 5 mil thick resin on the inside. There is no aluminum framing anywhere, nor is there any insulation. This is one company that makes them, I am betting they are the supplier for Forest River.
https://www.fiber-tech.net/uploads/2...d_Tuff_FRP.pdf
If you want to mount anything substantial to the wall, there are special fasteners for the purpose. They have a plastic sealing head on the outside and threads to bolt whatever you need to the inside. You drill right through the wall, it is more than substantial enough to take almost any load.
FRP is not a commonly used trailer material . Great Dane is the only company still making them for the semi market, they build them for specialty companies that need a material that can stand chemical and acid solutions splashed against them. One customer is East Penn Battery, a major battery OEM and aftermarket supplier. They equip those trailers with several rows of E Track attached like I described above

The reason this construction has fallen out of favor is the plywood in the middle gets wet and rots away, with no way to tell until it is way too late. Look for rusty fasteners and bubbles on the inside finish panels.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

I've googled til my googlers were sore & did find that FR makes some trailers with an aluminum frame in the sidewall & "sandwiched", but nothing about the toy haulers. I guess I will just have to do some experimenting & decide what to do from there.
koko 3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

I haven't looked at the Work and Play website for several years. It appears they have ditched the FRP sidewall construction in favor of the much more common aluminum frame/sandwich construction. I do not know when they made the switch, nor is the website very good about detailing exactly how the trailer is put together. There are several places you can look to determine how yours is built. Anywhere around the wheel wells has unfinished plywood. If you open the side door and measure the thickness of the wall it is also apparent.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote