Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats View Post
Can you explain the tow battery charger, and the ford part. I have a 01 for superduty. Ive had to strap a jump box to the battery one time cause it was low on voltage when I just got mine.
On your 7 way plug in there is a low voltage wire that runs from your truck to the trailer when plugged in. This keeps your trailer battery from depleting when on the road with with your refrigerator running on gas. If not hooked up the trailer battery will deplete from the fan motor on the refrigerator running. Low voltage on the fridge fan will eventually burn up the fridge wires from trying to re lite.

This connection on the Ford is a fuse that is usually found in the glove box and it needs to be inserted in the fuse box. Location and directions will be in your owners manual under towing. Without this done you will not have power to the 7 way plugin. These are not connected at the factory due to those who pull boats etc. and might submerge the female receptacle in the water thus causing a direct short. With Chev/GMC it is a wire that needs to be connected at the TV battery.

Check with your Ford service department or RV dealer. Not every one is aware of this including the dealers.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #22

Is it hooked up on Ram?
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote