Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

Differences between FRP and UL model Work and Play Trailers

I am new to the forum and am trying to decide exactly which toyhauler to buy. I am also looking to buy something that will be sturdy and last us a long time. Our last truck camper was plagued with roof leaks and wood rot. I do not wish to fight those battles again. So far, I really like the Work and Play model 21UL. That trailer is a good size for my needs, has a floorplan I like, etc. I would like to know more about how it is built. I read in a brochure somewhere that the UL series trailers are built with aluminum frame laminated walls. Can anyone here elaborate on this? What are the walls laminated with? Also, if anyone owns one of these it would be really cool if you could share "pros and cons" you've experienced with this model. Thanks in advance.
88redmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

UL is a much lighter construction. Paper thin hollow walls with frame construction. Really difficult to attach anything or hang anything. It is also lighter to pull. The standard W & P is a solid 7/8 laminated wall with glass exterior and covered interior. They are heavier to tow and are built like a tank. I have had two.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #3

So Jack, the 2 you had were both FRP trailers? Did you have much trouble with leaks, wood rot, etc? Thanks for responding, I appreciate your time and input. If you were buying a new rig, would you still buy a Work and Play?
88redmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88redmax View Post
So Jack, the 2 you had were both FRP trailers? Did you have much trouble with leaks, wood rot, etc? Thanks for responding, I appreciate your time and input. If you were buying a new rig, would you still buy a Work and Play?
That is correct. No trouble with leaks and wood rot. My storage when not in use is in a Hanger and we have very little rain here in Southern AZ. I have been in areas where there has been moderate rain but never any leaks.

I do like the W & P and usually take a motorcycle with me or a Can Am Spyder. I like the quality and would consider another. Unlike my previous W & P the factory has been very helpful and responsive to the few small problems we have had. Dealer not so much!

Jack
Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Our 2016, 25 WB is an ultra LE series but it has 1"FRP walls and 5200 axles to which I added 16" tires. It is a heavy trailer for its size weighing 6591 lbs dry with a CCC of 4628 lbs.
The reason we opted for the LE series instead of the FRP series is we could order it with a manual awning. I have had all the electric ones and their headaches I care to have.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

I believe the UL and not the LE series has the frame and hollow walls. I have the WAB LE series with the FRP walls.

Jack
Old 10-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

There are only 2 companies using FRP walls on RV cargo style trailers that I am aware of W&P and Renegade, a truck based motor coach manufacturer that also builds matching trailers. There is one manufacturer of regular semi trailers with FRP, and that is Great Dane, who makes them for specialty uses, chemical companies and for hauling batteries.
My 34FK starting rotting at many of the fasteners at the top of the wall, some leaked some don't.
Mine is a 2007 that resided with the 1st owner in western PA from 2007 - 2013. I have had it all over the eastern half of the country since. The rot was evident when I bought it and the price reflected it.
Even with it's problems I still like the trailer, it is built exceptionally strong and has exactly what I need, although it is definitely a 3 season trailer.
If you can keep it under cover while not being used the rot situation will not occur fast enough to be a problem.
There are other full aluminum cargo trailers with living quarters. Race car guys use them. That is the only alternative, but probably more expensive.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, work and play, modifications