Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

"generator outlet"

A friend just bought an '08 Work and Play 5er. It has an electrical outlet on the driver side that says "generator outlet". What is this? It does not have an onboard generator and he uses a portable generator for power.

Thanks
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3351 View Post
A friend just bought an '08 Work and Play 5er. It has an electrical outlet on the driver side that says "generator outlet". What is this? It does not have an onboard generator and he uses a portable generator for power.

Thanks
The unit most likely has "generator prep"
But has no generator.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #3

Thanks Turbs. What purpose would it serve? "Generator Outlet" sounds to me like it would power something outside the trailer. I've only seen it once but it is a heavy duty male plug built into the side of the trailer.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3351 View Post
Thanks Turbs. What purpose would it serve? "Generator Outlet" sounds to me like it would power something outside the trailer. I've only seen it once but it is a heavy duty male plug built into the side of the trailer.
Can you take a pic and post?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #5

I will see him again next week and will get a picture then.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Some RV's have an automatic transfer switch that switches the coach from shore power to generator when the generator starts up. If your RV does not have an automatic transfer switch, you have to plug your shore line into the outlet to get power from the generator to the coach.

Codes require either an automatic transfer switch or physical disconnection and forbid wiring the generator directly to the coach so you can't inadvertently run the generator while the shore line is plugged in, backfeeding the pedestal. This could shock someone who is working on the system with the power supply off. At the least, the AC current from generator would not be synchronized with the power grid. That could make a mess!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Generator outlet is the portal that you connect your shore power plug from you generator to the trailer for power when running off the generator while dry camping and not power from the RV lot. My 2009 44' is like this. I plan on putting in a control panel that runs the generator automatically and switches from shore power to generator power to eliminate this extra step.
1990Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

thanks DESERTVET1990 for the explanation. None of our group had ever seen this set up before. We very rarely stay where there is power available so mostly use generators.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Your Welcome but I believe Ramblerguy explained it better than I did. I just didnt see his post before I chimed in. In order for this to work though as explained, his generator has to be wired into this plug. Maybe he should mount the generator in the allotted space and do away with lugging the heavy bugger around.

Gen power out to plug, plug to shore power cable and then to trailer.
1990Desert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator