Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Grey water tank replacement

I have a 2018 25 WAB with about 4k miles on it. Overall it has been an ok unit, fit and finish are a little rough on the cabinets but it works.

When retuning from our last trip (600 miles each way) I noticed some wires hanging down after backing it in the driveway. Upon further inspection, the entire grey water tank (2/3rds full) had fallen out somewhere along I70 since the last fuel stop.

It appears that the removable cross member that holds the tank in place had zero fasteners securing it in place and no straps supporting the tank from beneath. I suppose I hit a bump hard enough to jar that support cross member out of position and the tank just fell out ripping the sensors wires out and taking 1/2 the dump plumbing with it. Interesting enough, I never noticed anything while towing and nothing else seems damaged underneath despite the tank being in front of the axles and the tube holding the dump hose being just aft of the axles.

I have an appointment with the dealer next week to get it looked at. Pricing parts out online, it looks to be $4-500 in parts tops. I've had the unit about 18 mo so the 12 mo warranty is over but I really feel this was a manufacturing issue and should not be my bill. I doubt the dealer or forest river will agree so I guess my question is how hard is this to repair? Can I get the parts and have back together in a weekend or is it worth letting the dealer do it to make sure I don’t miss something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
Always Learning

First things first, call Work and Play and talk to them. It’s very possible they’ll help with the cost of replacing the gray tank. I’ve had good luck with Palomino and Prime Time with my rigs.

Doesn’t seem all that hard to replace tanks but I’ve never done it. I know I had it done and the bill came to about $1,100 for parts and labor. That was taking an old/cracked one out.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #3

Recvied word from the dealership that Forest River will cover the repairs under warranty. Takes a load off for sure. Should have it back in a few weeks.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, replacement, tank, water, water tank