Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #1

Lots o rot

So... I’m very green to the rv world. I just bought an 2007 18 frp . I bought it fairly cheap . The previous owner disclosed some rot on the front bottom wall. Well turns out most of the front is rotted as well as around the side wall near the fridge area and a large portion of the ramp too. Unfortunately the kitchen and shower line the whole front of the trailer so doing the repair will be extensive.
Since these toy haulers are no longer built , I’ll have to do the repairs myself.
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a place that Specializes in these older wp’s or possibly similarly built trailers to either repair or at least be available for input. Thanks!
Dirt fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Your description one the rot and age of the rig would seem repairs done by anyone other then the owner would be more expensive then buying something without rot. first you need to remove the interior fixtures where the rot is before you will know what actually needs to be done. I would recommend stripping the interior and start from scratch. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So it looks to me like there has been recent roof repair all along the front of the roof. If that’s the case would I be ok using the trailer this season before tearing into it? My main concern would be it possibly falling apart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Your description one the rot and age of the rig would seem repairs done by anyone other then the owner would be more expensive then buying something without rot. first you need to remove the interior fixtures where the rot is before you will know what actually needs to be done. I would recommend stripping the interior and start from scratch. JMHO
Old 04-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

I think a little more info would be needed to say it is safe or not. Pictures would be great. Assuming it is still structurally sound enough to travel, my next concern would be mold. I have a mold allergy and black mold darn near takes my breath away.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

With out tearing stuff apart it’s hard to see the extent of the damage in pics but it’s basically the top and bottom 12” of the front wall. It is all super dry so I assume the fix for the leak worked. The rest of the damage is just small areas that can be cut out and replaced by piece. As far as mold goes there is some but that doesn’t affect me at all.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #6

The only way to repair an FRP(fiberglass reinforced plywood) constructed trailer, whether it is an RV, or a truck body, or a semi trailer (they are still being made by Great Dane in Brazil, IN) is to cut the entire rotted area out and replace it with a new wall section. The companies that still make truck bodies have descriptions on their websites on the procedure. It is likely not worth it on an RV.
Other areas will still rot. No one in the trucking industry uses them except for specialized reasons- acid resistance for hauling batteries as an example. And they junk them before they are 10 years old.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

I know there will be some other minor areas of rot but I’m only concerned with structural problems. It’s basically the top and bottom 1/3 of the front wall of the camper so I assume it’s important for strength reasons. I’ve used it 3 times already and have put over 1200 miles on it . Nothing falling apart yet ;-)
I’m gonna tear into it after the series is over.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #8

The Work and Play trailers built with FRP have a stout frame underneath them. At least my 2007 34FK does. If a structural failure does occur in the wall, I think it will be rather gradual and very noticeable. Certainly enough time to get it home.
As opposed to the semi trailer designs of the 1980's and early 1990's with this construction technique which are "frameless", that is the walls, floor and roof all work with one another to provide the needed strength to carry the load. When one of the 3 fails, it is catastrophic.
It got bad enough that after Jan 1997 GM refused to allow any FRP trailers to be unloaded or loaded at a GM plant because of numerous failures, unknown rotten walls gave way as a loaded fork lift went into the trailer and the floor would buckle.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote