Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Need to install Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I have a Forest River Work & Play Toy Hauler and it did not come with a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and is definately needed. Anyone have any suggestions for type or how to install? Local RV dealer wanted $500 to install a $38 fan and cannot afford it. Not only the cost but I just had the Converter replaced by them and now none of the receptacles work and worked prior to the Converter being changed. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Tamih4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Is there a crank open vent in place without a fan? If so, it should be easy.

Take the inside trim off and look to see if there are wires tucked along the edge. There is a good chance it is pre wired for a fan. If not, then you would need to get power to the location. Tapping a close by light fixture is usually possible.

The current vent can be unscrewed from the roof and a new one should fit the same hole. Most vents are a standard 14"x14". Caulk and screw the new vent in place, and cover the flange seam edge and screws with eternabond tape.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

No Vent

I wish it could be that simple but there's no vent or window in the bathroom. Thanks for your suggestion though!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What model work and Play do you have. Maybe someone can take pistures and measurements of theirs, so you will know where to cut the hole. Also may want to post in the "work and Play" forum. I have an 18LT with a vent and fan in the bathroom.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamih4 View Post
I wish it could be that simple but there's no vent or window in the bathroom. Thanks for your suggestion though!

If you can find the roof rafters (stud finder), you can cut a hole and block it in to creat a 14" x 14" hole. You might have to move wires if they are in the criling where you cut. If your are not "handy" I would not try it.

I think the $500 quote is way out of line. I think they gave you a high quote because they did not want to fool with it and knew you would think it's too much. I would check around and get a few more quotes.

Good Luck.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Site Team

What is FR saying about there being no support in your roof? Is this comment in reference to not being able to crawl on the roof top?

I know that budgets can be tight but for $150 or so more the Fantastic Fan is well worth the extra cost. There are several models to select from. I just had one installed on my traver trailer. The service guy did all the work from on top of an ladder. This fan replaced what the service department refers to as a "Fart Fan". Getting it done at the dealership tend to cost more but for someone like me it's worth going to people that knows my trailer.

Hopefully some of the more experienced people will drop in and offer some suggestions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

what abt the electricity to run it? is it there. that may be what they meant by no support.
do u have a vent (crank open skylight) in ur bathroom now?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As for the outlets not working, try to reset the GFI outlet, usually in the bathroom.. Also, what year and model do you have?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #9

I'd be taking the unit back to the dealer and get the receptable issue resolved first, then take care of your next project, the exaust fan.... Make sure the ceiling is sturdy enough to support a fan and that you are able to find, or extend, 12 volt wires to your new fan. Then it is just a matter of following the directions that come with the fan. Cut a hole in the roof and install fan, connect wires and make certain it is sealed/caulked well with a good sealant. That is a simlification of the process. Make sure you think the whole process through before you begin cutting.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #10

We bought the 2004 Forest River Work and Play trailer used and I'm not sure on the model number as it is not shown on the Title. I have the VIN number but have not been able to figure out how to decode it. Should the model be listed somewhere in the trailer?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamih4 View Post
We bought the 2004 Forest River Work and Play trailer used and I'm not sure on the model number as it is not shown on the Title. I have the VIN number but have not been able to figure out how to decode it. Should the model be listed somewhere in the trailer?
I just looked at a image of my Vin number and there is no relation to the model of my TT. Is there any outside stickers near the entry door? There is one on my TT which has the model information. Most trailers except some of the newer trailers will have a large sticker usually found on a inside kitchen cabinet door - see if it lists the information.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan