Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #1

Newbie, but not newbie?

Camping for a while - grew up doing the tent stuff. Been using the inlaw's stuff for a while now (towing their trailers for them) and know my way around campers and all that fun stuff.

The problem I'm coming across is weight right now. My truck is a 2003 Ram 2500 - 5.7 Hemi, single cab, 8' bed, SRW, NV4500 transmission with a 4.10 rear axle ratio.

Door sticker shows GVWR at 8650. Loading the truck up to the max means I could only pull 8300lbs(17k GCWR according to the internet). Knowing I would never had the truck loaded to the gills I could potentially move that weight to the trailer to balance out again to around 10-11k towing (family of 4 means need a chase vehicle anyway).

The trailer we're considering (30QBS) has an unloaded weight of 8800 with cargo capacity of 4400 - maxes out at 13200 (+/- 15lbs, rounded numbers down for easier calculations). Going straight off GVWR of the trailer, I'm over by about a ton (ballparking 6k truck, I've had it weighed at a facility before with me +1 in it and it was just under 6k).

Now that's a full load. 1900lbs in water (220 gal), 1700lb toy, 200lbs gas and 600lbs of 'crap'. Do I tow full? No, not that stupid. I know I can tow nearly empty and fill up when we get to (or closer to) the destination. I think the most I really would be carrying would be less than 2000lbs if I brought the toy with which leaves me with a couple hundred lbs breathing room (16.8k).

Is my logic straight? It'll mostly be a 250-300mile trips up north 2 or 3 times a year with this truck with occasional weekend trips to the OHV playgrounds about 30 miles away. I have a new truck on schedule to pick up Q2 next year which will handle this load no problem and reduce my towing concerns.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags