Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

OK Sell Me on a Work and Play!

My wife and I are considering a toy hauler, but i have a pretty big toy. Its an 81 Jeep Scrambler which tips the scales around 5500-6K. It would ned a space 17' deep and the wheelbase width is around 90", although i could skinny it s bit with different wheels.

I have a shiny new 2015 F-250 King Ranch Crew deisel with all the Ford tow package gizmos and whirlygigs.

Wife wants a pretty interior for all her snooty wine drinking girlfriends.

OK go - what will work?
ScrambledCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Reconsider... we purchased a 2014 work and play in August 2013. The first years it spend over 16 weeks at the dealer gettign warranty work done. Every time we have taken it out somethin breaks, falls off or fails.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Wow - bad start...
ScrambledCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

OK Sell Me on a Work and Play!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442196315.912072.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	88602

Done and done!

Always wanted to build one.

Sold the krawler, and built a family JK.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Well, I can't speak directly to WnP quality, but let me interject that the more time you spend reading multiple manufacturer forums, quality, or frequently the lack thereof, is a common theme. Given your choice of toy, let me commend you for looking at the absolutely correct class of THs. Anything short of a cargo trailer-based unit won't come anywhere near to meeting your cargo weight requirements. Something like the The Catalyst 40WCH just makes that 17' garage. Although not as plush, a WnP 44RLS would offer more seating for wine drinkers, but I don't see a dimension for garage length. Regardless of which TH you decide on, I believe you will need to step up in the truck department. I'm pretty sure any TH capable of hauling that Jeep will be over your F250's towing capacity.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Regardless of which TH you decide on, I believe you will need to step up in the truck department. I'm pretty sure any TH capable of hauling that Jeep will be over your F250's towing capacity.

X a billion.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

Overall, I have been happy with my Work and Play. The fit and finish of everything was done surprisingly well and the only major issue I had was a leak around the ramp door, which the dealer fixed with a new bulb seal.
I think your major problem is going to be the weight of the Jeep. Once you load it you will have zero capacity left for anything else (food, clothes, water etc...). Also, I believe the ramp door capacity is only 5,000 lbs which is a lot by most toy hauler standards.
Another thing to consider is the Work and Plays do not have a flat floor. The wheel wells protrude through the floor so you will need to use skinny wheels/tires.
If you get the weight down and put on skinny wheels/tires the 30FBW is an option the F250 can pull.
Lastly, if you are seriously considering a Work and Play, find a knowledgeable dealer. There are a lot of custom options you can do to these trailers that are not advertised and most dealers know nothing about, such as lengthening the cargo area, or raising the roofline
Old 09-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #8

I have a 2007 W&P that I bought as a repo unit. I have a little different perspective than a lot of other owners. I knew my rig would need repairs, when I bought it, due to the fact it was a repo.

Having said that, I can tell you, I have had very few problems with it, that i would attribute back to FR.

It is a durable unit that has served us well.

My wife has recovered the cushions, made new curtains and added several other things to better suit her "glamping" concept.

I like my rig, but I am cheap, the buy in cost keeps me liking it more and more.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

I have as you can see in my signature a 26FBW WP. I have had no serious problems with mine. I have drawers that won't stay shut when traveling but everything works as it should.

The only thing I am dealing with is a bunch of tongue weight. I haul two rear engine buggies that each weigh at about 900 lbs. With a full fresh water tank and both the grey and black water tanks empty I have about 2300 lbs of tongue weight. I have two lawn chairs in the front compartment and some blocks of wood for the stabilizers. With the buggies and the fresh water tank and what little utensils in the cabinets my trailer weighs close to 12400lbs.

As for being fancy I don't know that I would say that. The booth table is lacking in my opinion. The couch and booth are decent. Craftsmanship is not great but not bad either.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #10

I have had my 2011 30WR since new and have had only one minor warranty repair when it was new. Forest River did a great job in my case by working with a dealer (where I did not buy the 30WR) they fixed it as good as new.

You will find someone with a complaint about every toy hauler made.

With the weight you mentioned your going to have a problem. Saying that if there was a trailer for your needs Work and Play is about the only one with the pay load and ramp pay load that has a chance to handle it.

You will have to go big and that means you will be heavy. Your truck will probably be out of it's max towing capacity by alot...

How about a motor home pulling a car trailer?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledCJ View Post
My wife and I are considering a toy hauler, but i have a pretty big toy. Its an 81 Jeep Scrambler which tips the scales around 5500-6K. It would ned a space 17' deep and the wheelbase width is around 90", although i could skinny it s bit with different wheels.

I have a shiny new 2015 F-250 King Ranch Crew deisel with all the Ford tow package gizmos and whirlygigs.

Wife wants a pretty interior for all her snooty wine drinking girlfriends.

OK go - what will work?

Scrambled, i was in a situation just like yours.

We purchased a 2015 WP 40RLS with a 16 foot garage last year. my wife and I live full time in ours, and haul our 97 TJ buggy and the rest of our possessions. We love this trailer. it is everything we wanted (at the time), and after a few modifications and alterations to suit our needs, it fills all our requirements. We added a major amount of storage in both the kitchen, bathroom, and under the sofa. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-of-75932.html

No matter what you purchase, there will be issues. RV's are not built like cars or homes. they are slammed together in the least time, at the smallest cost possible. period.

That being said, there are some that are better, some that are worse. W&P's are more utilitarian than most, but have the highest cargo capacity i was able to find.

one other thing. you will need more truck. no kidding, no joke. you will.

I started out with an 01 F250 7.3 power stroke. she had upgraded 1 ton springs, air bags, and 3 rated tires. she had plenty of power, but it was unstable in all but the best driving conditions. single rear wheels just do not have stiff enough side walls to support the length (sway prevention) or tongue weight. i upgraded to a crew cab long box DRW. she pulls it just fine. Now, I'm not a pansy skiddish inexperienced driver. I've towed trailers, wagons, and anything else with wheels or skids my entire life. I did not feel comfortable with the SRW truck, most people that have these trailers (WP or any other brand) that have more than a motorcycle, or quad in the cargo bay have DRW's

this is our rig

and the toy in the box....

1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Posted tongue weights are off too. Ours states its 1200 lbs. we had it weighed and it 1800 lbs. This can be a realy problem. we have had to get rid of items we take and reload our trailer. Still too heavy in the tongue.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Posted tongue weights are off too.

nope.

Tongue weights in the literature, are not "estimated" on empty GVW, but loaded. Read the documentation that comes with the trailer.
The sticker on the trailer is based on actual measurements when it leaves the factory. its empty, when loaded, the tongue weights will be different. Every manufacture has a disclaimer in the literature that states that you should have your trailer loaded and scaled, then adjust the cargo to be with in the max gvwr AND have the appropriate tongue or pin weight for the type of trailer you have. 10 to 15% of trailer axle load on a bumper pull or 15-20% on a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

Also, i don't believe he's looking at a Tag Trailer, he is inquiring on a 5th wheel. i may be wrong, but with the 81 CJ8 at 6k that they have, they would be hard pressed to get that into anything but a 5th wheel.

I would have to look to be sure, but I believe ours has estimated 2600 or 2900lb pin weight when loaded on the label. but the way we have it loaded, without the jeep in the garage we are nearer to 3500lbs, and hover right around 3200lbs with the TJ loaded. with full grey and black tanks an added roughly 300 pounds goes to the pin and 200 on the axles. Water adds only to the axles.

I have actual weights from the scaling session i did once i picked it up. but that was more for the knowledge that i wasn't overloading my old SRW 3/4 ton Super Duty.
With the new truck, we just load her up any way we want to.... the truck doesn't care, in fact she rides way batter with about 5k on hitch pin.

ScrambledCJ, if you would like, PM me, i will reply with our phone number. i would be happy to talk with you about our trailer and our experiences, both good and bad.
We have had some issues with it. but all in all, its been a great ownership experience.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #14

The 2015 F250 will pull anything with in a legal weight limit for a standard licence. The work and play is too much money for no more than it is.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

I pull a WnP 30FBW with my Ram 2500. I had the scale weights written down with a quad and a RZR. Came to 18500 total, 9200 truck, 9300 trailer with my wife, 2 kids, dog, lots of blocking (five 12" 6x6 and six 12" 2x8), hoses, grill, 4 lawn chairs, 2 bikes, cooler full of bottled water... I figure I easily had an extra 500 lbs in my truck that weighs around 7200 with just me.

I'm happy with the extra tongue weight though. My car is only 3500 and 16'. I have not weighed my setup with it in the but it rides ni further forward that the at and tongue weight seems to be less.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

To continue my post (I wanted to edit but can't find the button)...

I like the extra tongue weight. My father has a Stryker 2912. Mfr tongue on that is around 900. With his optional slide and genset etc... he has less than that. He tows with a 3500 drw loaded down with 57gal transfer tank, 2nd genset, tons of blocking...it's a beast...and had mentioned it wag the dog with his rzr.

I loaded it with 2 baggers and we set out with another couple. With baggers front tires over the axles there was so little tongue weigh it was spooky to pull with my 2500. Ended up putting one in the kitchen and the other had a slide wall sucked in between the floorboard and bag.

We loaded my 30fbw with 2 800 rzrs with the furthest forward over the axles and she pulled like a dream.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

Like others stated, your issue will be width and weight on the ramp. I have a WnP 30WLA and it holds 2 atv's or 1 Harley easily. The ATV's are around 48" wide and I have maybe 18" on each side. The wheel wells and kitchen protrude quite a bit to limit width. You'll also have a weight issue. I want to say my total cargo weight for the trailer is 4-5k.

I tow mine with a '15 F250 diesel and it tows good. They are on the heavy side for tongue weight, but once you get a WD hitch set correctly, it helps. I added airbags too just to even everything out.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #18

They have their advantages

Like RJ. I live in mine full time. Love the utilitarian interior and cargo capacity, which can only be rivaled by a real race car trailer, which can be had for the same money, made with aluminum walls instead of FRP, which has it's quirks.
This is my 2008 34 FK and what goes in it.

Name:	W+P hooked to Argosy email.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	90535

Name:	tracker in email.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	90536
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #19

Now THAT'S a tow rig!!!!!! Now worrying about weights with that thing.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #20

06 LJ 5000# 5.5"lift 33s 32' wp 12 tundra pulled it from fla to sd no problem.
mtnjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work and play