Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

The 25WAB is alot of trailer for a 1/2-ton truck. I am sure you checked all of your ratings before purchasing the trailer, but its TW is 1,325# ... isn't the max TW on the stoutest F150 hitch 1,220#?

Were you towing your 18EC with the F150 without a WD hitch? The max F150 trailer capacity is only 5,000# without a WD hitch and the UW of the 18EC is 5,800# depending on options. Yes, you definitely will need a WD hitch for the 25WAB. The WD hitch is not only necessary to control sway, but it is used to more evenly load the trailer's TW on the truck. That is why there are two different hitch ratings on your truck ... w/o WD and w/WD. We use the Reese Straight-Line which is one of the best on the market with 1,700# bars, but our 25ULA has a tongue weight damn near 1,700#.

Also, watch your cargo weight. What is your door sticker rating? Be sure to add you, your passengers and the TW as well as what you place in the bed while towing AND the WD hitch itself. Like I said, that is alot of trailer for a 1/2-ton truck. I see a 3/4-ton with that 25WAB in your future if you put alot of miles on your hauler.

By the way, that is a nice trailer, enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Brian, was wandering which Reese WD hitch you installed? Even with sway control on the truck I would still need to install. Did not need it on the 18EC as the sway control worked great.

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Hello Brian. I believe we both bought our 18EC's about the same time. I just bought a new 2017 25WAB. Have not towed it yet and hoping the F-150 Eco-boost is still good for the job. Was great on the 18EC. Hitch weight is within 60# but 1600 lbs more weight. Will probably have to go to a WD hitch The F150 EB has sway control that worked well on the 18EC. We will see. Picking it up on Tues. the 31st. Thanks for all your input. I do have airbags and heavy duty towing package with twin turbo's.

Jack
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
The 25WAB is alot of trailer for a 1/2-ton truck. I am sure you checked all of your ratings before purchasing the trailer, but its TW is 1,325# ... isn't the max TW on the stoutest F150 hitch 1,220#?

Were you towing your 18EC with the F150 without a WD hitch? The max F150 trailer capacity is only 5,000# without a WD hitch and the UW of the 18EC is 5,800# depending on options. Yes, you definitely will need a WD hitch for the 25WAB. The WD hitch is not only necessary to control sway, but it is used to more evenly load the trailer's TW on the truck. That is why there are two different hitch ratings on your truck ... w/o WD and w/WD. We use the Reese Straight-Line which is one of the best on the market with 1,700# bars, but our 25ULA has a tongue weight damn near 1,700#.

Also, watch your cargo weight. What is your door sticker rating? Be sure to add you, your passengers and the TW as well as what you place in the bed while towing AND the WD hitch itself. Like I said, that is alot of trailer for a 1/2-ton truck. I see a 3/4-ton with that 25WAB in your future if you put alot of miles on your hauler.

By the way, that is a nice trailer, enjoy it.
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2017 25WAB. The hitch weight on it is 1196 and the hitch weight on the 18EC was 1163. The UVW on the 25WAB is 7486 and the UVB on the 18EC was 5807. Gaining about 1600 pounds there. Not sure where you got the above numbers.

I have a 2013 F150 EcoBoost with twin turbo's
, Air Bags in rear, Max trailer towing package with upgraded radiator, aux radiator, Aux transmission cooler and 3.73 Axel. When towing the 18EC is is solid as a rock and plenty of power to spare even on Mountain passes and temps never rise at all including transmission. With 60# in the air bags it rides perfectly level and does not sway at all with the auto sway control which is part of the Max Tow Package.

Still I know the 11,300 lbs of towing capacity is to be with a WD hitch. Not sure if the air bags compensate for that or not. I do have a solid steel hitch insert/coupler with a 10,000 rating. Most are rated at 5000#. Something a lot of people overlook. Still trying to figure out the Physics of the WD hitch and how it distributes the weight. My air bags keep me perfectly level now.

Was supposed to pick it up today at Scottsdale RV in the PHX area but they were having trouble fitting the exhaust pipe for the Generator so they are going to deliver it to Tucson for me tomorrow. Can't wait for a test drive to see how the truck performs with the extra 1600# of weight. Not concerned about power but more about the lighter chassis and if I really need a WD hitch. Have towed the 18EC with ease for 23,000 miles. About 70% in mountainous terrain with a 1000# Can Am Spyder in the back. Probably towing 7000# total weight loaded.

The F250 numbers are not really that much of an improvement unless I get the Turbo Diesel. I have had 6 large diesel pushers, a Diesel turbo Mercedes and they have great power but I hate the noise and smell. Also had two large Sailboats with diesel engines and still hate the smell Oh Well!

All thoughts considered and appreciated.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #23

I did order the WD hitch today. It is an Equalizer rated at 14,000 pounds and 1400 hitch weight. Will get help installing it and adjusting . No chains and you need not do anything to back up or make tight turns. Ordered it from ETrailer.

Jack
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #24

I have the F150 3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo and next week I will pull my WPT28BR for the time I have 1270 TW, I use a Curts WDH w/2 Sway bars and a shocker hitch.
I pulled it to the inspection station got my sticker and went back home, I ended up picking up a extra link in my bar chain to help lift up the rear of the truck a little. Pulled with no problems Gross camper weight is 7270 fully loaded with bike ready to go.
HarrynSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #25

Thanks for your response. I will be about 8400 (truck is rated 11,300) when the Spyder is loaded and do not anticipate any problems with the pulling power. I was concerned with the tongue weight. My F150 EB is a 2013 with a hitch weight 0f 1130. I will be a little over that but with the WD hitch and the rear air bags I should be just fine.

Jack