Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Puncture holes in exterior wall - how solve this problem?

I have a serious issue with a Toy Hauler travel trailer, which I could really use some feedback on. There are about 20 puncture holes going through the exterior caused by a pin nailer that had 1 1/4" pins instead of the 3/4" originally planned. The pins were used to put the interior trim back on the wall after adding cabinets.

This is a huge problem, and autobody shops are telling me that they can't repair something with cracks, that will likely spread. That the only option is to replace the exterior wall panel.

So where in Edmonton do I find a place that does this? It belongs to a customer and I will need to have it repaired for him. I would appreciate any information... thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	16303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	16304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	16305  
bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Wow, you do seem to have a real problem on your hands.
I would contact Forest River for a quote to have the wall(s) re-done.
I assume there are holes on the other side, too.
IMO, those panels will leak unless the outer skin is replaced.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

I would tend to agree with Lou, however, as an interim measure, you could check at a boat shop for some fiberglass repair, something similar to this:

TRAVACO 004_120_005_502 at West Marine

I used a filler in my boat for two small holes (about pencil size), and it has worked great.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

This camper was damaged by an "upfitter" shop for a customer.

A stop gap measure would not be acceptable to me (and I doubt his customer either).

While I fully understand the desire to save as much as I (if it was my shop) could on the repair, that is what business insurance is for. You (or your employee) made a mistake and I am happy to see you are trying to make good with your customer.

It is unfortunate that this will cost a lot more than you made on the job, but "Them's the breaks" when you are in business. As a business owner, you take risks that "work a day" hourly folks do not. (Seems the collective world tends to forget that sometimes - all politics aside)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Director, FROG

Bamboo, I suggest that you contact Tyler VanHimbergen, Parts Administrator in Forest River's Work-N-Play division. He should be able to help you sort through what the options are for a proper repair, including hooking you up with a dealership or other approved facility in your area.

You can reach Tyler at (574) 534-4941 or by e-mail at tvanhim@forestriverinc.com.

And, like Lou, I'm glad to see you trying to do the right thing for your customer.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your problems. Looks like an 18LT, ( I have one, only mine is black). To replace the wall, the trailer will have to come apart. That is a solid wall, with the fiberglass bonded to the wood. Of course, first thing is get the staples out. Maybe grind the holes out a little, then find a GOOD fiberglass person to refill the holes. Then a repaint, and decals. Not an easy trailer to repair, since the wall is one piece, no siding. The good side, you don't have to worry about insulation. Look for a Corvette specialty shop, they can probably fix it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote